[Mk2] [Turbo] aircon always on (a bit) ?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingsley

[Mk2] [Turbo] aircon always on (a bit) ?

Post by kingsley »

With the "ECON" button pressed (as opposed to the "AC" one), I had thought that with the temperature slider on full left and the air recirc off, the air coming out of the vents would never be colder than the ambient outside temperature. Yet on my car that doesn't seem to be the case.

Driving home tonight, even with ECON pressed (the green light was on this button too), with the temperature slider across to the far left, the air coming out of the vents was definitely a few degrees colder than the air outside when I shoved my hand out of the window.

If I pressed the AC button, it got even colder, so that definitely does something, but why would it be cooling the air in ECON mode?

I've also noticed, even in ECON mode, what seems to be the aircon pump kicking in every so often (a click followed by a change in tickover revs and a reduction in tickover engine vacuum).

So, in AC mode it does get colder than in ECON mode, but in ECON mode it still seems to be doing some cooling.

Is this normal?

Cheers,
Kingsley.
Ren0W

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] aircon always on (a bit) ?

Post by Ren0W »

You know what ECON-mode stands for ?
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

I had assumed that it was a slightly sales and marketing way of saying the aircon was switched off.

Doesn't it actually mean that?

Cheers,
Kingsley.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

It's economy mode.

So your airco will still be running, only on a slower pace.

To save fuel, I think.

... errrrr...

The ECON button will turn off the air con system. The climate control will still work when in auto mode however without the use of conditioned (cold) air, that means that it’ll be harder and sometimes impossible for the climate control alone to reach lower temperatures if the outside temperature is too warm.

When in ECON mode the air con compressor is not being used. The compressor takes its drive from the engine via a belt and therefore takes some power from the engine and uses extra fuel.

whatever , lol .

I Don"T KNoW :eye:
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Seems that it running slower would be consistent with my findings, though it seems odd that it can't be turned off altogether. Or maybe it can for some people :?

It's a mystery ...

I suppose one advantage of having it always there, albeit running slowly, is that the pump seals should never suffer due to long periods of non-use, which is what has happened in my other car.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I think when in econ mode the system kicks in if the ambient temp is different to the desired temp.

So if you set it to full cold, (20 deg) and the ambient temp in the car is warmer ( 30 deg ) than the systems set to it will try and cool the car.

I just made up them numbers.
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

econ allows a larger tolerance of temperature before engaging the clutch on the compressors.

So if you set your car to 20 it will allow the air temp to get to say 25 before kicking in, wheras on AC mode it will kick in at a lower temp e.g. 22. The figures are guesswork but you get the principle.

At absolute minimum (I think its 18?) with AC button on, the compressor will always be engaged. I'm not sure it would turn off if the cabin temperature did actually get to 18 degrees.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Thanks people, perfect explanations and now all is clear :)

Cheers,
Kingsley.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

it should turn off (no lights on either button), try pressing econ again, or press aircon twice if that doesnt work
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

dansREV2turbo wrote:it should turn off (no lights on either button), try pressing econ again, or press aircon twice if that doesnt work

qhwn I had air con I used to press either button just enough to click the other one off then release the one I pressed. No lights on either button and air con was off. Or you can press them both at once and I think that also turns the air con off.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Now why didn't I think of that :?

It never occurred to me that you could press the selected button again to switch it off without switching the other one on.

Doing that seemed to do the trick - brilliant :)

Cheers,
Kingsley.

Return to “Mechanical”