who do u love beating off the lights?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

greeny

Re: who do u love beating off the lights?

Post by greeny »

Lauren wrote:
MR John wrote:
Can i just add for giggles, Anyone can turn a car left or right ;) That's how you make drag racing sound there's alot more to it to get a good time down ;)

On track or B road your only turning left or right as speed isnt really a factor is it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always thought that drag racing was for those who couldn't drive. :tongue:

:lol:

Try drag racing with something with quite a bit of torque, it looks easier than it is :wink:
greeny

Re: FWD European cack

Post by greeny »

cogboy wrote:
Lauren wrote:I'd take a cracking FWD chassis over a good RWD anyday.

Do you spend long enough away from this forum to actually drive anything? 29000+ posts in five & half years works out at roughly 14.25 posts a day. Every day. Including weekends and Bank Holidays. You must be fun to be around.

This is one instance where i can use this....

LOL !
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

cogboy wrote:
Lauren wrote:I'd take a cracking FWD chassis over a good RWD anyday.

Do you spend long enough away from this forum to actually drive anything? 29000+ posts in five & half years works out at roughly 14.25 posts a day. Every day. Including weekends and Bank Holidays. You must be fun to be around.

love it! :clap:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

cogboy wrote:

LOL!

I hadn't realised I was nearing 30,000 posts. Blimey. Must get a life etc. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I dont agree with Lauren on a lot of things, but a very good FWD car is better than any old RWD car :thumleft:

For one you can go substantially faster in a FWD car without too much danger of killing yourself and anyone within a 5 mile radius. There's plenty of rwd cars out there with poor handling that'll spin at the first sign of a corner and throttle :pale:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

matt_mr2t wrote:You can go substantially faster in a FWD car without too much danger of killing yourself and anyone within a 5 mile radius. There's plenty of rwd cars out there with poor handling that'll spin at the first sign of a corner and throttle :pale:

You hit the nail on the head! It is easy for any old fool to jump in a decent FWD car with a good chassis (such as a DC2) and drive fast. Especially with the added safety net that if you push too hard some nice safe understeer will get you out of trouble (or into the path of a car travelling in the opposite direction).

What I and most other RWD fans like is the risk (and over the limit adjustability). There is nothing better than taking a long corner on a track such as Anglesey completely at the limit, just waiting for the back to step out at 90mph but knowing that you can keep the throttle flat and just give a flick of opposite lock. I don't get the same adrenaline fix or giant grin from a FWD chassis (without encouraging a bit of lift off oversteer).

I look forward to seeing the new FWD F1 cars, they will obviously move to FWD soon as it is soooo good, I can not believe they have lagged behind for so long!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Fact is, it can go faster. Just being RWD doesnt make it a better car. A good RWD chassis is a good thing, but any RWD chassis doesnt mean it's good.

I would rather have say a mk2 Focus RS over an MR2 - standard Vs standard before any one says "yeah but if you mod it init blah blah"
cogboy

Post by cogboy »

Lauren wrote:I hadn't realised I was nearing 30,000 posts.

You should be in politics with a lie of that magnitute.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i very good fwd chassis such as the megan r26.r you want something pretty special to live with it.

i often wonder how much money you would have to throw at an mr2 to make to be able to set the same lap time as an r26.r

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Personally I know that beating someone off the lights is not really skills but just a measure of how powerful your car is. However, it is still fun :D

Nothing like a rush of "smoking" someone! Sometimes I would slow down, look in the rear view mirror, let them catch up and then floor it again - rinse and repeat :P

Oh how I missed those days...
My personal website : http://www.jonathanchye.co.uk
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

RS4s are fun to hand their ass on a plate :thumleft:

Unfortunately it's normally idiots in Focus STs and RSs that try, so I tend to just indicate left to let them past. Can't be bothered wasting my petrol and can't stand it when they are an inch off my back bumper :evil:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

cogboy wrote:
Lauren wrote:I hadn't realised I was nearing 30,000 posts.

You should be in politics with a lie of that magnitute.

I don't really look at my post count in all that much anymore in all honesty.

Believe me, don't believe me, don't really care.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

aw11rally wrote:
You hit the nail on the head! It is easy for any old fool to jump in a decent FWD car with a good chassis (such as a DC2) and drive fast. Especially with the added safety net that if you push too hard some nice safe understeer will get you out of trouble (or into the path of a car travelling in the opposite direction).

What I and most other RWD fans like is the risk (and over the limit adjustability). There is nothing better than taking a long corner on a track such as Anglesey completely at the limit, just waiting for the back to step out at 90mph but knowing that you can keep the throttle flat and just give a flick of opposite lock. I don't get the same adrenaline fix or giant grin from a FWD chassis (without encouraging a bit of lift off oversteer).

I look forward to seeing the new FWD F1 cars, they will obviously move to FWD soon as it is soooo good, I can not believe they have lagged behind for so long!

In all honesty I've driven/raced lots of different RWD cars. It's easy, been there done that. I wanted to learn something new, so I got a DC2. Understeer did you say? I seriously doubt you've driven a DC2. More oversteer than most RWD cars as it turns out.

Powersliding out of corners is easy. Lift-off oversteer into corners and then balancing it takes a fair bit more commitment.

The way you describe cornering at Angers, is much the same in a DC2.

So in summary I learnt a lot from driving FWD cars as it was something new. I feel there is just nothing I can learn from an MR2 anymore, so figured it'd be good to try something new. If you can steer a car on the throttle it doesn't matter which wheels are driven. :+:

I'd like a RWD car again, but the trouble is there really aren't that many options that fulfil my criteria, so I feel it's better to look at all the options. I used to be a RWD stalwart, but I realise now that I actually have missed out on what are some cracking cars around. I think it's crazy to limit yourself to RWD, just because you have an attitude that FWD means it must be crap.

Really silly comment about 'FWD F1 cars' I thought. Have you never heard of the BTCC? Do you reckon the FWD touring cars are going to be no fun? ;)
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i like to beat anybody from work on the way home regardless of what the drive, yes i'm a child :lol:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:i dont race people off the lights because I enjoy having 1st and 2nd gear intact. also its pretty childish imo

rumour has it your car has never been above 3000RPM :lol:

No you have him confused with me :lol:

I dont like to drive too quick all the time because i get used to the feeling of boost and then i want faster ! Ive taken to tootleing around and when its worth putting my foot down it feels faster :lol:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i actually agree with lauren

i can make a fwd car dance on some of lincolnshires finest b roads, and am sorry you just dont get the same feel from a rwd car, and well i could quite easily embarrass an mr2 down the roads where i live in anything from a 205 to a clio.

am sure thats half the reason am always so tempted to go back to n/a french metal

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Quigonjay wrote:i like to beat anybody from work on the way home regardless of what the drive, yes i'm a child :lol:

Thats how I roll.
cogboy

Post by cogboy »

Lauren wrote:I don't really look at my post count (in) all that much anymore in all honesty.

Believe me, don't believe me, don't really care.

It's right there under your picture. Will you win some kind of a prize for being first to 30,000 posts?

Anyhoo, you seem to be on the wrong forum. Perhaps you should take yourself off to www.dc2.org.uk. Once their site's up and running you can bore the ar$e off them too.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

cogboy wrote:
It's right there under your picture. Will you win some kind of a prize for being first to 30,000 posts?

Anyhoo, you seem to be on the wrong forum. Perhaps you should take yourself off to www.dc2.org.uk. Once their site's up and running you can bore the ar$e off them too.

No prizes that I'm aware of. What is your issue?

I'm not getting what the issue is with me talking about a DC2. Perhaps you'd care to explain?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Check out the little new boy coming on and being gobby.

Most people on here get along despite not all sharing the same opinions.

I suggest you try it.

Return to “Driving Experiences”