Fell off the road *now with video*

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

wadeski

Re: Fell off the road *now with video*

Post by wadeski »

Its mostly Lauren having another misplaced dig at the mk2, but it is true that certain bits of MR2 are, effectively, the front end of a Corolla turned around.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

wadeski wrote:Its mostly Lauren having another misplaced dig at the mk2, but it is true that certain bits of MR2 are, effectively, the front end of a Corolla turned around.

Not sure I can see how that would work, although my experience with the Mk2 is limited at the moment.
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I know just ignore her, she always has to put an irrelevant comment somewhere, i think to try and pi55 someone off by the looks of it everytime! I'm just surprised she didn't start telling you how to drive with all of her 'experience' lol

Anyone would actually think she hates MR2's for all the comments, and she's actually committee, and I'll probably be banned for saying this,but eh well.

We will all say thanks for the upload and glad to hear you're ok though :thumleft: glad the car seems fine aswell
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Limeymk1 wrote:
wadeski wrote:Its mostly Lauren having another misplaced dig at the mk2, but it is true that certain bits of MR2 are, effectively, the front end of a Corolla turned around.

Not sure I can see how that would work, although my experience with the Mk2 is limited at the moment.

FWD transverse engine layout = Mid-engined transverse rear wheel drive layout. Various bits are therefore taken from other 3S-GE engined cars.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Limeymk1 wrote:

:? Such as? I didn't think there was/could be much that's shared between other cars in the 90s Toyota range and the Mk2. :-k

Suspension, engine, gearbox etcetera.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Rubber Chicken wrote:I know just ignore her, she always has to put an irrelevant comment somewhere, i think to try and pi55 someone off by the looks of it everytime! I'm just surprised she didn't start telling you how to drive with all of her 'experience' lol

Anyone would actually think she hates MR2's for all the comments, and she's actually committee, and I'll probably be banned for saying this,but eh well.

We will all say thanks for the upload and glad to hear you're ok though :thumleft: glad the car seems fine aswell

I am merely stating what is true. Just like the MK1, the parts bin has been raided. No news there, but simply pointing out that the MR2 is not a purpose built sports car. You do not agree? Or, are you that insecure that you hark on about me not liking MR2s when I have said nothing of the sort, you are merely jumping to your own conclusions.

I'm sure you are an absolute expert driver who has nothing to learn. :+:
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Thanks for sharing that video of your experience. Pretty scary how easily it happened!

I'm not poking at you, but there's more control available, quicker, with both hands on the wheel when going round bends.

Marc
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lauren wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:

:? Such as? I didn't think there was/could be much that's shared between other cars in the 90s Toyota range and the Mk2. :-k

Suspension, engine, gearbox etcetera.

Aye I know the engine and gearboxes are shared(ish) , but I've no idea what would share the suspension, the shocks would need to be a different bound/rebound, mounting points etc would be different, spring rates again different. :-k I believe the Celica gearbox has a different final ratio (to be pedantic).

By that rational the Elise isn't a 'purpose built sports car' as it shares an engine with a Rover (or Celica). :lol: :oldtongue:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Limeymk1 wrote:

By that rational the Elise isn't a 'purpose built sports car' as it shares an engine with a Rover (or Celica). :lol: :oldtongue:

Not really, Elise has own purpose built suspension, double wishbones and all that. It doesn't borrow MacPherson struts from another car. :+:

I guess we could all get pedantic about what's what, was just saying that a lot of parts were raided. Sure there are lot of MR2 specific parts.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm amazed by your composure! I don't think I heard a single swear word or whimper! I drove up the road literally screaming obscenities when I scuffed an alloy a few weeks ago....T-bars were off too 8-[
MR2_Turbo

Post by MR2_Turbo »

Lauren wrote:I'm sure you are an absolute expert driver who has nothing to learn. :+:

Like you? :clown:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MR2_Turbo wrote:
Lauren wrote:I'm sure you are an absolute expert driver who has nothing to learn. :+:

Like you? :clown:

If you say so.

Sure I can control and hold a slide. Sure I would not have spun a car in that situation. But I was never going to lecture Johnny, people make mistakes, he knows that, I said what I said earlier in the thread, I though that was enough.
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

Lauren wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:

Not really, Elise has own purpose built suspension, double wishbones and all that. It doesn't borrow MacPherson struts from another car. :+:

I guess we could all get pedantic about what's what, was just saying that a lot of parts were raided. Sure there are lot of MR2 specific parts.

12-13 years on this forum, on and off, and people still think that MR2 is the nirvana of all motoring. [-(

Some people cannot be told Lauren.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

chorlton wrote:12-13 years on this forum, on and off, and people still think that MR2 is the nirvana of all motoring. [-(

Some people cannot be told Lauren.

:lol: Far from it I, I know the MR2 isn't the be all and end all, there are FAR, FAR better cars out there. I'm just interested to know what other Toyota car from the 90s I could take the suspension off and fit to a MK2 MR2 as that's what Lauren implied. :oldtongue: Or is it the 'concept of the MacPherson' that Lauren's on about? :-k Yes the suspension of the MR2 is compromised due to it's use and double wishbone may have been better but it is an 'affordable sports car' and at least it's not an adaption of a current chassis like the ford Puma.

I bet there's lots of part's bin use in every single sports car out there, Aston Martin use Ford parts, as do Noble. I bet even Ferrari raid the Fiat bin. :lol:

Sorry to take this so totally OT. :whistle:
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

Limeymk1 wrote:Yes the suspension of the MR2 is compromised due to it's use and double wishbone may have been better but it is an 'affordable sports car' and at least it's not an adaption of a current chassis like the ford Puma.

Not wishing to quote Lauren, but all she's saying is that it was never a specifically designed sports car, not that it's necessarily a bad car.

My own comment is that sometimes people don't look further than the end of their own key fob, with regards to objective comments, and that's a shame sometimes because it'll almost have the reverse effect in promoting their choice of car.

On the Clio forum, the Clio can conquer the world.
On the TT forum, the TT can conquer the world.
On the Saxo forum, the Saxo can conquer the world.

The above is a bit of a generalisation, but people tend to be over-biased towards their own choice of car.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

chorlton wrote:Not wishing to quote Lauren, but all she's saying is that it was never a specifically designed sports car, not that it's necessarily a bad car.

Then what was it specifically designed as? :? :lol:

I'd still love to know which Toyoyta the shocks were nicked off as it could make it a lot easier to find replacements. :oldtongue:
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

Limeymk1 wrote:
chorlton wrote:Not wishing to quote Lauren, but all she's saying is that it was never a specifically designed sports car, not that it's necessarily a bad car.

Then what was it specifically designed as? :? :lol:

The idea was obviously to build a 2 seater sports car, but the economic restraints (that's my guess) meant that they made compromises straight away by utilising parts/processes/designs from already manufactured models in their range.

That's a world away from manufacturing everything specifically for one discrete project.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

So not really a 'parts bin' thing, more a 'processes bin' thing. :roll: Name a car manufacturer that doesn't do that. :lol:

I'd still love Lauren to tell me what parts I can take off my Celica's suspension and fit to the Mrs' Mk2 without the use of the angle grinder or machining. :wink:
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

Limeymk1 wrote:I'd still love Lauren to tell me what parts I can take off my Celica's suspension and fit to the Mrs' Mk2 without the use of the angle grinder or machining. :wink:

That's a bit of a red herring, fitting a new sleeve/top hat/bottom arm to a strut doesn't suddenly make it custom-built for an out-and-out sports car: the essential part, the strut itself, would be identical to that used on another car, even if the strut itself didn't fit.

The Ohlins on my Integrale came from the Subaru setup Ohlins made, with extensively modified sleeves/top hat, but the dynamics/performance aspect of the struts themselves was identical.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

chorlton wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:I'd still love Lauren to tell me what parts I can take off my Celica's suspension and fit to the Mrs' Mk2 without the use of the angle grinder or machining. :wink:

That's a bit of a red herring, fitting a new sleeve/top hat/bottom arm to a strut doesn't suddenly make it custom-built for an out-and-out sports car: the essential part, the strut itself, would be identical to that used on another car, even if the strut itself didn't fit.

But with completely different bound/rebound and possibly physical size? :lol: I get what you're saying but what seems to be ignored is the fact that every manufacturer does it. It's a shame they used a Macpherson setup when double wishbone would have been preferable but I'd still argue that it was designed as a sports car.

BTW Chorlton and the Wheelies rocked. :thumleft: :lol:

Return to “Driving Experiences”