Fell off the road *now with video*

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Fell off the road *now with video*

Post by Lauren »

Race Idiot wrote:

I would have thought an na would have pretty linear power delivery :oldtongue:

What? :shocked: Well you'd think so! Is he some kind of hamfisted baboon? :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
surferdude

Post by surferdude »

Waiting for a spectaculair vid..
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

surferdude wrote:Waiting for a spectaculair vid..

I'm on it, still. I have tinterweb again :clap:

I also have 4 new tyres on, and the alignment has been done which improved things a little.

However, the car doesn't quite 'feel right' when going around a (dry) corner. Slow corners are fine, but anything that'd make the car lean a little feels unstable :-k

Not sure yet if it's:
1. All in the mind due falling off the road.
2. Due to damage caused by falling of the road (I doubt this though, everything looked fine underneath).
3. Something not quite right and is the reason why it fell of the road in the first place.

As I say, I've not even come close to falling of the road in 7 years of MR2 ownership. Pretty much the whole suspension was replaced 1.5 years ago (brand new shocks/springs/topmounts/bushes etc).

I did recently change the front strut brace to another, but can't imagine at all that that'd have anything to do with it, but will swap back and test...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Go back to your alignment place, describe what you're feeling and they should be able to convert that to some tweeks of whatever (camber, castor, toe etc) to resolve... if they're any good.
WIM are fantastic for this and from my feedback changed rear camber and front castor to resolve the slight 'feelings' I was getting.
Hard to believe just how sensitive the 2 is to geo.

R
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Don't think it's alignment TBH, but I could be wrong.
It's the same place that did it after overhauling my suspension 1.5 years ago. And I gave them the Toyota 'figures' both times.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Well, I've spent a bit more time under the car, still can't see anything wrong at all :?
It doesn't feel stable at motorway speeds. So I'll probably get the alignment double-checked...

Oh, here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfrDRul7S38

As I said, massive over correction, then massive over correction again to avoid the lamp post!!
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Dont worry fella, you're not alone - I binned mine on the slick roads this morning #-o

Not only that, but i managed to fall of the road while going in a straight line. I pull out to pass a Sunday driver on a straight NSL country road, but get too hard on the power before straightening up the wheels.

Back steps out, I correct (most likely over correct, but it felt like i had caught it) then as i was sliding diagonally rather than straight, the rears slipped onto the wet grass verge and i pirouetted.

One roadsign later and I have a very dented front end :(
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

:cry:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

wadeski wrote:Dont worry fella, you're not alone - I binned mine on the slick roads this morning #-o

Not only that, but i managed to fall of the road while going in a straight line. I pull out to pass a Sunday driver on a straight NSL country road, but get too hard on the power before straightening up the wheels.

Back steps out, I correct (most likely over correct, but it felt like i had caught it) then as i was sliding diagonally rather than straight, the rears slipped onto the wet grass verge and i pirouetted.

One roadsign later and I have a very dented front end :(

Unlucky mate, at least your ok!

Also after watching johnnys video the road looks pretty slick, like when its only been raining for a little while. The rear tyres deffo didnt help you.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

JohnnyC wrote:Well, I've spent a bit more time under the car, still can't see anything wrong at all :?
It doesn't feel stable at motorway speeds. So I'll probably get the alignment double-checked...

Oh, here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfrDRul7S38

As I said, massive over correction, then massive over correction again to avoid the lamp post!!

Not too bad mate, fairly low speed, just a bit of lack of grip from the rear. Slight oversteer moment and yes a bit of over correction. :)
Have you jacked the car up and have a good look underneath? I'd be worried about tie rods and possibly a bent rim tbh as you hit the kerb quite hard.
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Oh mannnnnn! That does look pretty slick!
Like the other's say aslong as you're good it's all good!

Well done for posting that :thumleft: it's good to see how easy it is done!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Glad you got away with it without too much damage, that camera is a good idea :thumleft:
Last edited by ashley on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Fun and games ehh Johnny!

The oversteer is natrual since it was more of a instinct reaction as you didnt know how much the back end was going to slide out as it was unprovoked.

Glad you and the car seem alright mate. :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

tonigmr2 wrote:Have you jacked the car up and have a good look underneath? I'd be worried about tie rods and possibly a bent rim tbh as you hit the kerb quite hard.

I've had it on my DIY ramps :mrgreen: Everything looks fine :-k
The nearside front tyre gained a small 'bulge' in the sidewall from the impact, so new front tyres got put on. Rims are fine - as I'm running standard 15", so there's a LOT of tyre before anything reaches the rim :)
surferdude

Post by surferdude »

Yust saw the vid, what kind of tires do you have?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, with about 2.5 - 3mm tread.

In the 7 years of having the car, I've had T1-Rs on the car for around 5 years (not the same ones obviously :wink: ).
Don't think the low tread made much/any difference TBH as there wasn't much standing water on the road.

The video took 2 attempts to convert, the first time it looked like it was still raining due to the video compression #-o
surferdude

Post by surferdude »

You didn't rev at all did you? Can't see the needle on the gauge so well...

I guess it was yust a slippery road.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

The only revving was pulling onto the roundabout at the start.
If you turn up the volume there's no acceleration before losing it, revs were a constant 2800ish rpm and the curve of the roundabout was constant.

If you look at 7 seconds into the video, there's a Megane going around, leaning over a fair bit...

Ah it's good when French built family cars can out corner a purpose built sports car #-o :mrgreen:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

JohnnyC wrote:
Ah it's good when French built family cars can out corner a purpose built sports car #-o :mrgreen:

It's not a purpose built sports car though really. Think of all the parts bin raiding.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lauren wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

It's not a purpose built sports car though really. Think of all the parts bin raiding.

:? Such as? I didn't think there was/could be much that's shared between other cars in the 90s Toyota range and the Mk2. :-k

Return to “Driving Experiences”