Uprated Engine Mounts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Protok

Uprated Engine Mounts

Post by Protok »

I am currently in the final stages of my engine conversion. It is a 3SGE beams with ITBs. My problem arises with how close the ITBs are to the firewall and how much the engine shakes at higher rpms raises concern as to the throttle bodies being disintegrated against the firewall.

Firstly are the Turbo and N/A engine mounts interchangeable?
Is there a noticeable difference between them?

It was suggested that I get the TRD engine mounts but finding them is proving harder than I thought. I have found them on Nengun but there is a waiting list and I believe that is another 28days. I would like to buy them from the UK so that I can have them within the week. As long as they are a bit stiffer than stock then it should be fine.

I do remember seeing the TRD ones on fensport previously but they seem to have dissapeared, I've tried ebay but only second hand ones on there.

Any shred of help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Red
paul port

Re: Uprated Engine Mounts

Post by paul port »

the most common thing to do is pack the gaps around the existing mounts with silicone sealant... have you considered that as a stop-gap? as I guess it is reversible if you so wish
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

What about cutting it away or extending it to aid cold air being fed into the TB`s?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Turbo and na mounts are interchangeable as I have had both and TRD mounts before going to powerflex mounts which have lasted :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

I've tried the poly mounts and kept ripping through them.

I have now solid mounted the front mount.

If you arent going to be bothered about the "slight" increase of noise/vibrations then id reccomend solid mounting the front mount.

Edit....

Oh and show us some more info of the beams on ITB's!

Something ive wanted to see done for a while :thumleft:
Last edited by greeny on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I bought my TRD ones from Fensport last year but they only stock the torque mounts not the weight bearing ones (which are the ones you're after anyway). Either that or you can DIY solid mounts, there's a guide on here somewhere, or you can use powerflex as suggested.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

ever though about one of these?

This engine torque damper kit is made by Silk Road in Japan and marketed under their Section brand name. The kit includes a high performance damper with all fittings required for each application. Specifically designed this kit will help your car get all its power down through the wheels. Ideal for track or drag racing, or fast road use.

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_de ... odID=52955

Protok

Post by Protok »

Firstly a picture of the ITBs, sorry it's not the clearest but currently only one I have of them in situ. Should be done in a few days if I can get these mounts and then it's a case of 2days washing and waxing before I get some amount of pictures.

Cutting the firewall is out of the question, the way the throttles are right now whilst by accident is hugely beneficial. Because of being so close to the firewall it is almost like giving them forced induction due to the way that the air flows.

I am currently considering solid mounts but they seem to have a lot of side effects; 1 of the biggest being the cracking of welding. Having a non standard exhaust and inlet manifold probably means they will crack under the stress so that is an option that is out for the moment.

I've had a look on DCPerformance and they have some powerflex bushes but only 2 for the engine listed online, I shall give them a call after 9:00 and see if they can supply the whole set.

The silk road damper makes little sense to me if someone could explain to me what it is exactly :?:

Which would you guys recommend?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”