oil pressure please help

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

calum4492

oil pressure please help

Post by calum4492 »

does any one know what my oil pressure should be bout? i have a mk2 turbo rev 1. i have jus fitted an electronic oil pressure gauge and it seems 2 sit alright till the engine is warm then drops 2 under a bar but does rise once engine is rev'd or driven
cheers calum
dansREV2turbo

Re: oil pressure please help

Post by dansREV2turbo »

it can varies on temp and oil type, ie. you'd see lower pressures with say 5w30 than you would with 10w 40.

i use 5w 40 and i get

6.5-7 bar on cold start up
6.5-7 bar warm with high revs (about 6k+ rpm)
and about 2.2 bar on warm idle.

one bar does seem a little low but iirc, its at about 4 psi pressure which is danger zone.

hth.
calum4492

Post by calum4492 »

im using 10 40 but realli its bout half a bar wen its warm and bring my light on iv just had the engine out and checked the oil pump and it appears 2 be ok anything i could check which wouldnt be 2 hard 2 get 2?
cheers calum
aw11rally

low pressure at hot idle

Post by aw11rally »

We had a similar problem with the rally car, good pressure when cold but drops off when hot and at slow idle.

We increased the idle to 1000rpm and started using fully synthetic 20w50 valvoline racing oil instead of Mobil 1 0w40 fully synthetic.

Now no problems at all, and oil consumption has decreased some what.

Not sure how the 3sgte responds to thicker oil though so check with someone in the know.
calum4492

Post by calum4492 »

what kind of rally car was it? i spoke 2 nathan from century on the the fone and he sed his drag car used 10 50 and also sed that 10 40 should be fine in my car i was just out at my car bout half an hr ago there and noticed once i turned my boot lid fan on that the oil pressure needle moved up so i disconnected the feed and used the same feed and earth as the gauge with the fan and the same thing happens with the fan switched off the oil pressure sits bout half a bar and with it on the gauge says 2 bar which seems 2 be bout where it should sit? correct me if im wrong. i havent a clue y this is happening :shock:
cheers calum
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

The rally car is a Mk1.

Doesn't sound like you have got any huge problems, I wouldn't worry about it too much, try some more viscous oil and see how you go.

Return to “Mechanical”