[Mk2] [Turbo] GM knock sensor

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

[Mk2] [Turbo] GM knock sensor

Post by loudandproud205 »

Ive read and I've read all about the upsides of a GM knock sensor but am struggleing to find down sides of one.

Now am sure if they were that good and had no down sides the 99% of people would have them, but they seem quite a rare conversion still.

Could anyone share advice or knowlodge ln this?

:thumleft:
foxy-stoat

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] GM knock sensor

Post by foxy-stoat »

I got all excited about the GM knock sensor on my GT4 a few years ago and bought one off ebay.

Heard nothing but bad things about them on GT4OC, so never fitted it.

I dont think theres anything wrong with the standard knock sensor tho, unless your one is toast and you have fallen over at the price of one from Mr Ts ?!
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

fallen over i nearly died, i boughht second hand one and am unsure if it was on its last legs or my car kills them but there possibly a little fragile?
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Not sure, I'll have a dig around for the one i bought ages ago, if i find it i can stick it in an envelope and see if its any use to you.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

id like that, just bought another 2nd hand toyota one also, but il crack the old audio testing gear out and scope them see what difference lies in them.

plus look in to the designs when i take my old one to bits to see if i can find why it failed so easy.

nothing to loose really lol
paul port

Post by paul port »

Toyota sensors are well known for being fragile...
A large amount of knock, and the sensor also gets damaged.

The flip side of this suggests that the Toyota sensor is doing it's job properly, and it's actually your state of tune that is causing the failures.

The GM sensor is for a different engine, different block, and therefore likely to be tuned to a different frequency - but close enough to pass the ECU start up test. The potentially bad thing is, is this sensor actually 'Deaf' ?

SO, The question is... If your engine were not detonating excessively - would you still be damaging Toyota sensors? Have you heard of anyone going through Toyota sensors on an un-modified car?
greeny

Post by greeny »

^ Points i was going to make Paul.

Also make sure when fitting them to torque them correctly.

I've heard on the American forums that the GM sensors are actually more "sturdy", but thats not a good thing IMO.

If your breaking the OEM sensors then you've problems elsewhere causing them to break, i.e. detonation.

I've had the same knock sensor on my engine/s since ive owned the car, 8 years/ish, through all different states of tune, and afaik its still ok.

I'd be looking into why they're breaking, rather than replacing with a "stronger" GM one.

If you want to get really trick, you can also use the new style wideband knock sensors from toyota :wink:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Very good points hence why my thread, I am looking in to why it may have failed, but I would belive that my car and the sensor being 21 years old can't have helped, and if it due to the age of the car or age of the sensor as it's not really possible to try a newer 2nd hand one as the later revs were different and stomaching £150 each time while possibly trying to source the fault is a bit hard to justify.

Thanks for your help and input on be matter
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

loudandproud205 wrote:Very good points hence why my thread, I am looking in to why it may have failed, but I would belive that my car and the sensor being 21 years old can't have helped, and if it due to the age of the car or age of the sensor as it's not really possible to try a newer 2nd hand one as the later revs were different and stomaching £150 each time while possibly trying to source the fault is a bit hard to justify.

Thanks for your help and input on be matter

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I've blown 2 now and it aint fun, they're so expensive!
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i went through 3 toyota sensors before i realised my piston 3 was trashed

found out on a leak down test, when they took it out there was no metal gaps between the rings lol
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

simpson_eh wrote:i went through 3 toyota sensors before i realised my piston 3 was trashed

found out on a leak down test, when they took it out there was no metal gaps between the rings lol

oh cr@p. Fingers crossed :lol:

Return to “Mechanical”