Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sanchi

Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Post by sanchi »

Right, Firstly let me explain what I am doing and then get to the problem..

My cylinder head is off the car and getting rebuilt. I am trying to take off the 19mm bolt from the crank pulley and have connected my starter motor as I was going to wedge a bar and crank the engine over.

What I wanted to know is on the starter motor there is the brown connector that plugs in and another washer type connection wire that comes from the starter relay and the main power cable from the battery. Does the main cable battery and washer type connection wire go over the top of each other and then a nut over the top of that, I just can't remember.

This is the weird thing, I did that and with the head off and fuel relay unplugged I went to crank the engine over and I think my battery wasn't charged up enough to crank the engine and alot of clicking happened and nothing happened. Now the the weird this is that I saw smoke come from the engine and turned everything off check the engine to find my brand new hel braided clutch line that I installed and not used as the car is on axel stands has completely melted!!!

Have I done something wrong and where did I go wrong. I do really need to get this starter problem sorted so I can get that damn crank pulley bolt out..

Thanks

Regards,
Sanchi
Rogue

Re: Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Post by Rogue »

Looks to me like you haven't got an earth strap connected to the engine. The large current draw from the starter motor has therefore passed down your braided clutch line and melted the plastic sheathing. On a car with a normal rubber clutch line the next earthing point is usually the accelerator cable...
sanchi

Post by sanchi »

Rogue wrote:Looks to me like you haven't got an earth strap connected to the engine. The large current draw from the starter motor has therefore passed down your braided clutch line and melted the plastic sheathing. On a car with a normal rubber clutch line the next earthing point is usually the accelerator cable...

:shock: I am going to consider myself lucky with this scenario then :shock:

Where about is the earthing point Greeny mentioned it is usually located on the inlet manifold. What type of earth cable should I look out for and its location?

p.s: I managed to sort out the problem regarding the hub that I phoned about thanks and keith from Rad Tec is making me the revised cc pipe should receive it Tues :thumleft:

Thanks
Regards,
Sanchi
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

sanchi wrote:Where about is the earthing point Greeny mentioned it is usually located on the inlet manifold. What type of earth cable should I look out for and its location?

The earthing point on the inlet manifold is a sensor ground, and not the one you're looking for here. You should have a big thick cable that goes from the chassis to the gearbox and provides the main power ground for the engine.
sanchi

Post by sanchi »

Rogue wrote:
sanchi wrote:Where about is the earthing point Greeny mentioned it is usually located on the inlet manifold. What type of earth cable should I look out for and its location?

The earthing point on the inlet manifold is a sensor ground, and not the one you're looking for here. You should have a big thick cable that goes from the chassis to the gearbox and provides the main power ground for the engine.

Right I see. The thing is that ground is already connected if its the same one I am thinking off. Its the one near the starter motor and near the passenger side mount then its connected to the gearbox, it was already connected when it burnt out my braided clutch line.

Should I clean the points and re connect the cable and then try again.
Regards,
Sanchi
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

that look scary

but i though it need a lot of heat to melt the plastic can try to start the car generate that much ?

or

visited
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Hope you havent burnt anything else out at the same time :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”