Cam Belt... yep another question or two... and engine mounts

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

m4rcus

Cam Belt... yep another question or two... and engine mounts

Post by m4rcus »

Hi,

1. Can anyone write a step by step guide for this? (then we could get rid of this type of post!) :)
2. My local garage has quoted me 195 for the work, including the cambelt, tensioner and some other belt... but what is it?
3. The engine mounts, how do you tell if they need changing and are they easy to change, only my engine feels a little 'wobberly' (I was great at English essay writing...) when changing gear as bit like my old mini when it's engine mounts were knackered.
4. Would changing the belts get rid of the whining noise I currently have? (I'll try and record it for you, but where can I upload the sound file to?)

Cheers,

M
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Cam Belt... yep another question or two... and engine mounts

Post by Peter Gidden »

Can anyone write a step by step guide for this?

The reason there has been no step-by-step cambelt change is i suspect, because it's a long, and at certain points, tricky job. Online BGBs will have the basic steps, which should be of use.

My local garage has quoted me 195 for the work, including the cambelt, tensioner and some other belt... but what is it?

Sounds unlikey. MrT cambelt approx. £40, and a tensioner approx. £80. Other belt is probably fanbelt, approx. £7. Turbos often have the air con belt chaged at the same time too.

£40 + £80 + £7 = £127. That leaves £68 for 5-6 hours work. I think not!! If so, tell us where he is and please all of you keep the queue orderly :lol:

Whiring noise?? Where is it coming from? Belt changing may possibly, if you're lucky cure it, but more likelyto be alternator bearings...
m4rcus

Post by m4rcus »

The garage is in Horndean, near Portsmouth. He was also only quoting a 4 hour job, their book said 3.4 hrs, but they did one the other week and it took 4... I will phone him back to find out what the other part was they were changing...

The whining noise is sometimes, v loud, mainly so when the engine is cold. The noise rises with a blip of the gas and returns with the engine dropping back... in some ways it could be decribed as a whistle. If it is the alternator bearing, what is involved with getting that sorted? :(

Thanks for the help,

M
phild

Post by phild »

If you can afford it...get them to do it. There are a few hardy types with good experience on this site who like nothing better than to spend a day changing the cam belt etc, but for the rest of us mere mortals, it is a job easier left to the mechanics.
A good freind of mine who had a 2 but has now moved on to a 4 door car due to the arrival of a thrid member of his family had a go last summer, it took him all weekend and then when he started it up he found that the cam belt was out by one tooth!! He didn't want to have another go and so eventually took it to a garage and they did it.
I'm not saying for one minute don't try it, but just give it some thought first.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Obvious question here but is it for a Turbo? :?
m4rcus

Post by m4rcus »

Thanks for all the advice...

It's an M plate N/A

M
richard cash

Post by richard cash »

i would have thought an NA would be easier than a turbo as more room to work with.

heres what i would suggest/ what i did.

follow the BGB up to the point where you are putting the belt on around the cam pullys. This involves, in brief, the following:

1)line up crank and cam pullys with TDC.
2) cut belt
3) take off engine mount on drivers side.
4) loosen belts for alternator and air con.
5) take off crank aux. pully (this may best be done by cranking the engine over first before anything else, do a search for "pully removal" on here to see what i mean) (you may also need to take other 2 mounts off the get the engine down far enough.
6) take off bottom cam cover and take old belt out.
7) take out tensioner and see if it needs replacing, if it doesnt then youve saved yourself £40
8) slip on new belt and tensioner with allen key in
9) do up the lower cam cover and put engine mounts back on and tighten up

Now at this stage i was getting worried as the BGB made no sense to me and i hadnt done a belt before but this is what i did:

10) loosen tensioner bolts to give a bit more play
11) make sure pullys are all lined up, then take exhaust cam back .5 of a tooth or so.
12) put a breaker bar in the bottom pully to keep it from moving
13) pull the cambelt on the exhaust side to take up slack and place on pully. then crank it round to TDC so absolutly all the slack is removed. Only put it on the pully a tiny amount, no more than .5cm
14) you should then be able to slip it over the inlet cam pully and idle pully without any major hassle.
15) release allen key in the tensioner and crank over and then check timing again.
16) if its out, which is shouldnt be, then just take off the 2 bolts on the tensioner and start the second part again (from point 10). this part only took me 15minutes to do so its not that bad, but points 1-9 took about a day (mainly becuase of removing the crank aux, pully so read up on removing this!)

ok i hope this helps. others may have a few better techniquesto do but this worked for me great

Return to “Mechanical”