Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Post by Lauren »

Extra weight in MK1s is due to having 5 bulkheads. Most cars have three.

Also the gearbox is much heavier, as are driveshafts. Then there are additional ancillaries etc that come with it being JDM and an SC.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Lauren wrote:I'd put it on a weighbridge as that weight is likely to be dry, ie no fluids.

Bigtime, I was shocked when I weighed my car. Advertised weight is 1280 and it was more like 1480.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I was under the impression the weights listed in he UK manufacturer brochures were Kerb weights - ie. with fluids and petrol?

When I get a spare hour or two I'll pop the BBR MX5 onto a weighbridge and find out :thumleft:

Toxo - I think a base model tubby is going to be much closer to 1280kg than 1480kg as when I put mine on a weighbridge back when it was still standard it was only about 1320kg with full tank (well minus 7 miles of motorway, lol), spare wheel, car vac, jack, steering lock, assorted crap in boot etc.

Plus my car would be a slightly heavier than most as it came with TRC system, airbag and aircon so I could just about believe 1280kg for a tubby minus all the goodies.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The problem occurs due to car's weight's being listed elsewhere. For example I'm sure I've seen the MK1 as listed as 975kg, when the reality is even in lightest MK1Na form without fuel it's 1030kg.

It's one of those things that you only know by putting your car on a weighbridge, preferably with a full tank of fuel so you can detract the weight of the fuel (remember fuel isn't as heavy as water).

I know the weight of my car, from the shipping form. Was 980kg, no doubt with some fuel in it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Just a quick update - I did manage to stick the BBR MX5 on a weighbridge. It came to 1020kg with the spare and full tank of fuel.

Some of the extra weight though could be down to the non-standard plus size alloys, bigger brake discs and larger intercooler on this car (oh and a load of welding it needed to pass some previous MOTs :oldtongue: ).

Weigh bridge is supposed to be accurate to the nearest 20kg and when I stood on the weighbridge the total went up to 1100kg which is about right seeing as I'm about 75kg on the bathroom scales, lol.

I guess I could give Mazda the benefit of the doubt on their 985kg official brochure Kerb weight :lol:

Return to “Driving Experiences”