Suspension overhall - where to buy parts?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

easty-5

Suspension overhall - where to buy parts?

Post by easty-5 »

It's about time I replaced all of the suspension components. I am going to change the ball joints and track-rod ends in hope of stiffening things up again. I am also going to change front wheel bearings. Where is the best place to buy these from without having to pay through the nose.

Also, are there any other parts that are worthwhile changing whilst I am at it. Droplinks were done last week and the bushes seem okay for now.

Cheers
Jamie
bluesmoke

Re: Suspension overhall - where to buy parts?

Post by bluesmoke »

I bought track rod ends on ebay from Jappartsltd:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Get new drop links too and ARB bushes.

If you are doing the track rods, do the inner track rods as well as the outer. I am doing the same myself on my car.

I think Camskill did the inner track rods I bought and SBITS for the ball joints.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

bluesmoke wrote:I bought track rod ends on ebay from Jappartsltd:

Get new drop links too and ARB bushes.

If you are doing the track rods, do the inner track rods as well as the outer. I am doing the same myself on my car.

I think Camskill did the inner track rods I bought and SBITS for the ball joints.

Thanks buddy :thumleft:

Never done any of these items before. How are you finding it? Easy enough or a pain in the chops?

Are you following and tutorials?
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I have got stuck on the front ball joints, as I don't think the seperator tool is wide enough for them. I am waiting on a tool arriving today which should be better.

Taking off the front undertray, about half the bolts have sheared :(

And the drop links usually have to be cut off. Imagine doing that holding a piece of hacksaw blade in your hands because it snapped lol. You will probably find that when you try to undo the drop links, the bolt just spins. This is why you have to cut them.

It's been a bit of a nightmare so far to be honest, but it's going to be worth it when it's done and the car is driving great!

As for tutorials, no I am just getting on with it. If I get stuck I ask for help lol.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

You cant replace the front wheel bearings alone... it's new hubs I'm afraid. I've done all mine now though (top mounts, springs, struts, bushes, steering rack and control arms, droplinks and balljoints) and boy, what a difference.
:thumleft:

R.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

HighwayStar wrote:You cant replace the front wheel bearings alone... it's new hubs I'm afraid.
R.

You what!? Why do you have to replace the hubs too?
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

No need to change hubs. Just hydro press new bearings in. Few places I use for parts are
Camskill
Import car parts
Local Motor factors (Part Co etc) Dont discount the local motor factors as although the above internet stores are good, often parts can be had cheaper locally (no postage and haggling for trade!)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

My bad then. Sure I'd seen a thread recently where someone stated this was the case? Jeff D maybe?
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

I would imagine in some cases they could get that corroded/stuck in that it shatters the bearing when trying to remove. This would render the hub pretty useless as after you have tried to clean the hub out the new one will never 'bed' in right but most of the time they are pretty straight forward.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

HighwayStar wrote:My bad then. Sure I'd seen a thread recently where someone stated this was the case? Jeff D maybe?
Ceraintly NOT me!!!!

Only thing I can think of is some folk choose to use a 2nd hand hub rather than have their old/new bearings pressed in and out but obviously your taking a chance of replacing bad with (soon to be) bad.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Sorry Jeff.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

LOL no worries :-)
Karma Supra

Post by Karma Supra »

I just did this overhaul on my other half's car while I was doing the clutch,

All ball joints, polybushes, track rod ends drop links and all three handbrake cables off Ebay.

Shocks from Camskill.

I then got carried away and did disks and pads, radiator, thermostat, apexi induction kit, decat, HIDs :roll:

This might help (Probably out of date, copied form my post on my forum when I did it!)

If this helps!

BTW I didn't use the track rod ends, if you need them?
The front Ball joints didn't fit as well as I'd have liked, I needed to use washers as spacers :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”