The Tic Tac 500bhp build thread

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

greeny

Re: The Tic Tac 500bhp build thread

Post by greeny »

Getting there! :thumleft:

GTS GAV wrote:that will crack in time, be it a month or a few years its inevitable, theres not a welded joint on a exhaust manifold on the market that wont crack just the nature of how much it exspands and contracts, were as my solid inconal mani has no joints to crack and has been tested to just over 2.5bar boost for years and years and years with no fault, plus i like the added history with it, or maybe just the bragging rights when i tell peaple its formaly owned by carloz sainz :mrgreen:

AFAIK Geoff from full-race commented that they havent needed to repair one yet! This was a couple of years ago though, but they've been around a while! They really are one of the best you can get!

Ive been hanging a big turbo 2x wastegates, 2x screamer pipes and a 4" side exit exhaust off mine 8-[

Really should brace it i guess :mrgreen:

Was just an option for you if the yanks are offering stupid money for it!

A well made tubular manifold wont crack! :wink:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

GTS GAV wrote:thanks buddy, i decided from the off i was going to buy nothing but the best and wanted to have alot of custom bits to make it stand out. the project has had serious over kill in most if not all areas hence the carrillo rods rated to 1100hp :lol: just incase at a later date i wanted to up the power from 500 to 600-650bhp+ i new the supporting mods would be more than man enough for the job.

i remember when my engine let go last year, i walked down the shops to get sum beer (to sooth the pain lol) i saw a banzai magazine, inside was chris's white 2, after reading he had managed to get a Group A wrc inconal exhaust manifold i had to find one, as i rearly didnt want to go tubular as it would be forever cracking and the stock manifold would only be good for around 1.6bar as i have hurd anymore than this can cause turbulance ,i tried and tried to find one to no avail most had never seen or hurd of anyone having one let alone for sale lol, the only two i new of were chris's and andy's i was so lucky i see andys for sale thread so erly i snapped it up in no time :mrgreen: to be hounest i think that has to be the cherry on the icing for me, and it brings abit of toyota history back into it aswell 8)

Yours will be in Banzai soon & a few others (i think)
You say "over kill" but It's always better to be safe than sorry :mrgreen: especially with the £/time/effort that you have put into it Gav.
It's a good feeling when you acquire bits that no one else has got on there 2, that's what makes the long hard slog so worth it in the end up imho
=P~
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Looking s**t HOT gav! love the polishing work too! Must ask, what do you use to polish them up? i have spent months doing it by hand and i know you cannot get them that good without some pro equipment!!

When do you plan to have it done by? The only thing i will say tho is your going to have some real trouble getting 500WHP out of a 3076r. Defo not capable of 600 whp. I was aiming for 500whp using the Larger T4 GT3582r but i have since learned that even this will struggle 500whp on v-power. I have since decided to go for a precision billet 6262 which is a 750~800whp capable turbo (when pushed to its limits on race fuel) and with this i should be able to make 500 ~ 550 on pump. The 3076r iirc is only designed for around 400whp / 500 fwhp.

Good luck tho mate, car will be a beast whatever!!
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Yours will be in Banzai soon & a few others (i think)
You say "over kill" but It's always better to be safe than sorry :mrgreen: especially with the £/time/effort that you have put into it Gav.
It's a good feeling when you acquire bits that no one else has got on there 2, that's what makes the long hard slog so worth it in the end up imho
=P~[/quote]

Thanks buddy, funnyly enough they have already seen it on the driftworks forum (i like a bit of skidding :) ) and emailed me regarding a feature, and also i think it mr2only found it on the net and also contacted me, im such a perfectionist every single part is going to have to be spot on, so this make take years to get it just the way i want it before i will let it get featured.
rearly appreciate it when my work goes noticed, makes it all worth while my freinds and family all think im utterly mad for spending the time and money i hav on it i kinda do aswell, i think we all a be a bit car crazy on here :lol:
im the same id rather fit a part no one else has got with history behind it rather than the same old manufatures parts every else has.
cant wait to get her on the rollers see what she makes.
Last edited by GTS GAV on Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

RyanRs wrote:Looking s**t HOT gav! love the polishing work too! Must ask, what do you use to polish them up? i have spent months doing it by hand and i know you cannot get them that good without some pro equipment!!

When do you plan to have it done by? The only thing i will say tho is your going to have some real trouble getting 500WHP out of a 3076r. Defo not capable of 600 whp. I was aiming for 500whp using the Larger T4 GT3582r but i have since learned that even this will struggle 500whp on v-power. I have since decided to go for a precision billet 6262 which is a 750~800whp capable turbo (when pushed to its limits on race fuel) and with this i should be able to make 500 ~ 550 on pump. The 3076r iirc is only designed for around 400whp / 500 fwhp.

Good luck tho mate, car will be a beast whatever!!

Thanks you very much ryan coming from you that makes me a very happy man, as some of you workman ship is well frankly outstanding, youv done a top notch job on yours aswell, will be good to turn up to one of the meets and meet you all have a proper look at each others cars, i do admire your pp intake mani :mrgreen: i plan to have her up and running by wensday rearly, i dont like to set my self deadlines as it will only stress me out when i dont meet them, off for a base mapp at abbey run her in, then start all the fueling side, roll cage other bits and bobs, off for final map fingers crossed erly june, ready for sum strip action :)

as for the polishing i follow the guide on here irl leave the link bellow for you, there rearly is no nead for industrial machinary when you can make you own from power tools 8)
i gather your having trouble with the final mirror finish stage, diffrent grades of hard wax, a big thick stronge hard cotton disk, and a very powerfull mains drill set to maximum bair inmind you will burn them out after a while thats why i use the cheapo makes from aldi or ebay you break it throw it away buy another, you want to use the hardest wax first and work your wax down to the soft wax, applying alot of pressure with the cotton disc to the surface with wax applied to the disk every other min will work wonders a quick tip mount the drill in a vise you want to move the part round the disc not vise versa one to stop the part flying across the room and to not to dmage the mirrior finish trying to find way of holding it down, if your having problems still send them down to me :thumleft:

guide

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=113

you want to buy a hard wax set, you can get all the grades you nead from here dude :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Buffing-Wax ... 1e557aa23a

rearly i bought the turbo from andy im pritty sure he was running just over 500hp+, iv seen GT28 run just over 400+, what a/r housing are you using and what boost you taken her up to, irl be running 2bar-2.5bar, on pump gas i wont be especting 500+ maybe on race fuel and w/i, a gt35 should deffantly take you way beyond 500 im pritty sure chris was running 600bhp+ on a 35 with a 1.06 A/R :-k , who are you getting you info from? as it even states 35's are capable of 600bhp, one thing have you fitted the arp lp19 head studs? i didnt think it to be to much of an issue as its only a blower housing's and whole units are easyly changed for larger upgrades, i was originaly going to be fitting a 35 to the car but decided against as for running an engine in i neaded to hit a mild amount of boost to get the rings to seat rearly well and didnt want to be having to take it up to a rearly high rev range to be able to achive boost if you get my meaning buddy, irl see how she does if shes neads and upgrade irl be more than happy to fit the new billet series :mrgreen:
Last edited by GTS GAV on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RobMason

Post by RobMason »

Gav, car is going to be sweeeeeeet!

Quick question, when you fitted your EVC 6 which wires did u tap into for the throttle input signal and rpm/speed input signal, having trouble finding them.

Thanks

Rob
2004 Silver MK3, standard-ish for now ;)
Yas

Post by Yas »

Wow this is looking great. Well done Gav, looking forward to seeing the end results :thumleft:
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

RobMason wrote:Gav, car is going to be sweeeeeeet!

Quick question, when you fitted your EVC 6 which wires did u tap into for the throttle input signal and rpm/speed input signal, having trouble finding them.

Thanks

Rob

hey chap how have you been :) thanks for the kind words, cant remember off hand dude but irl take a pic when i go up the garage tamoro, just litrely got in, iv been slogging it out all evening fitting the boot mount intercooler and pipework, what a nightmare was sooo much more complicated than i thort and iv just seen the time :shock: man im dedicated :lol:
Last edited by GTS GAV on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Yas wrote:Wow this is looking great. Well done Gav, looking forward to seeing the end results :thumleft:

thanks buddy, its been a long time coming i can tell you so relieved to have nearly finished it, no more sleepless nights thinking about the tasks ahead, what has to be done when how im going to do it etc etc finaly i can sleep, i feel like sleeping a month :lol:

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

RobMason wrote:Gav, car is going to be sweeeeeeet!

Thanks

Rob

rob info on the hks evc,

the green wire from the hks evc goes to the white wire on the centre plug of the ecu

the red wire from the evc goes to the white and purple wire, on the right plug on the ecu.

ow and one more thing very good choice :thumleft: , if you nead sum info on how to set it up just pop me a post, as it can be rather confusing the first time.

RobMason

Post by RobMason »

Cheers Gav :D

If you want to stick some pointers on a post or PM me that would be much appreciated :)

Going to get it set up fully on the dyno at the same time as having the car remapped.

Rob
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

no worries buddy glad i could help, if your having it set up by the mapper you should be fine, i will pm you my mobile number just incase he neads any info etc, post your figures up after youv had it mapped, whos mapping it for you?

RobMason

Post by RobMason »

RSTuning in Leeds, got the 800cc Sards to go in aswell. Ill post em up when its done :)
RobMason

Post by RobMason »

Gav, thanks to your advice I have my EVC now wired up :D

Quick question, how do you get it to display things like RPM and throttle position, I know its working because I can set up the voltages for throttle posisiton, just cant work out how to get it to display on the main screen.

(Sorry for spamming your thread)

Rob
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

hello matey no problem atall, my cars been off for a while now so finding it hard to remember now, i think you set them on the map, one of the buttons is for option cant rember wich one, then select thr, or rev or spd etc etc sorry for the lack of help as said was nearly a year since i have last used mine lol, i will be fitting/setting up in my dads mr2 this week end so i will be able to giv you a more detailed description on how everything works etc

did you mount it were i have they look spot on in the heater vent :thumleft:

P.S TO ALL I AM GENARATING INTEREST IN THE SALE OF THE CAR DUE TO PERSONAL REASONS :(

RobMason

Post by RobMason »

Ohno, you've just built her :cry:

Yeah mounted it in the vent, happy with how it turned out.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

thats spot on buddy,me and my farther just fitted one in his also came out very nice who ever first decided to fit it there should get a pat on the back :mrgreen: :lol: , my situation has changed for the better so means i can now wrap the project up and get driving 8)
Last edited by GTS GAV on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

with the engine all in now came the fidley time consuming things, the bootmount intercooler was a bit more of a b1tch then first thort but got there in the end with help from sum late nights with a mate ross.

pic of the boot after i took the carpet and cardboard out, and cleaned off all sticky gluey mess on the metal. the wirring didnt look to clever exsposed but will clean that up at a later date, so i started to mark out ruff lines on were the intercooler will hav to sit.

i was very anxious about cutting the boot floor out as they air saw seems to hav a mind of its own sumtimes but it came out pritty neat i thort

Last edited by GTS GAV on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

with the hole cut it soon accured to me that as the floor was corregated the intercooler wouldnt sit flush with the floor, and the air path might bypass the core and slip around it instead so i had to get some stainless sheet to custom fit inside the boot, i decided this could wait to a later date and crack on with the pipe work instead

I mocked up were the chargepipe from the turbo would nead to enter the boot, marked and crossed are fingers it was rite

I started by drilled alot of small holes on the inside of the mark them used the air saw to cut a ruff line on the inside of the mark still, then filed it down to the exsact size we neaded as i didnt want to larger hole around the pipe as it would the hot air in the engine bay into the boot causing heat soak, i will use some edge trim to protect around the pipe

mocking up the intercooler and the other charge pipe, to say it was a tight fit was an understatement lol

and then did the same on the other side
Last edited by GTS GAV on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

With the carpet out the boot looked a rite state so i decided to giv it a fresh lick of paint and clean up the untidy wirring that had been hidden by the carpet for so many years, i first tapped up all the wirring and rubber edges then cracked on with a lick of primer

then a fresh coat of satin black

Last edited by GTS GAV on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Project Cars”