Uprated Fuel Pump for NA

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jrleech

Uprated Fuel Pump for NA

Post by jrleech »

I'm back! After having my Mk1 sat on axle stands for the last 3 years, I've finally started to do some more work on it.

Today, the fuel tank and hard coolant pipes came out. That was NOT a fun job! Need a few new breather hoses now #-o

While the tank is out, I might as well stick a new fuel pump in.... just not sure what to fit.

I've still not decided what to do with the engine, but it'll either be a tuned up 4AGE, or something like the 190bhp VVTi out of the Celica. Whatever it is, a fuel pump that can supply 250bhp would be sufficient.

The Walbro 255L/h is massive overkill, and is very noisy. I'm sure I read that the pump out of the Mk1 SC has a higher flow rate, so I might look at that (price dependent).

Can anyone recommend a good pump to use?

Thanks,
Jon
kaiowas

Re: Uprated Fuel Pump for NA

Post by kaiowas »

I think the TB boys fit a mk2 pump with no real complication as part of their swaps. Should be easy to get hold of and well up to the job. I'm sure PW will be able to give more detail.
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

Fita mk2 one in if you want one bob over ive got a spare mk2 pump
MrNice

Post by MrNice »

cabbydave will you get in touch please i want my money back for the part i paid you for. its been 4 weeks now and in the last 4 contacts youve given excuse after excuse. im bored of hearing them to be honest i just want my cash back now!!!
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Thanks for the replys. Had a look on the TB forums, and I think I'm going to go for a pump from a Mk2 Turbo. Given the hassle getting these things swapped, I'm tempted to get a new one, if I can get a decent discount... Toyota quoted £241 + VAT !

My local Andrew Paige motor factors quoted my £105 + vat and shipping for a Bosch unit, but I suspect that it's for a Mk2 NA and not a Turbo, and the flow rates are quite a bit different.

Do Walbro make a less extreme pump than the 255, something that doesn't whine like mad?

Thanks,
Jon
swirley

Post by swirley »

Hi Jon

i've got a mk2 turbo pump for sale if you want it? I would want £35 for it, that includes postage

Thanks Simon
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Thanks for the offers, but have discovered that there's a choice of about 10 OEM MR2 Turbo fuel pumps available in the States, ordering a Denso one for $115 + $40 postage.

Soooo much more choice in the US ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”