[Mk2] [Turbo] THE pump whining noise

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LuizeGT

[Mk2] [Turbo] THE pump whining noise

Post by LuizeGT »

all of a sudden im now getting LOUD power stearing/alternator whine though the speakers when my stereo is on. i have to have it turned up loud to drown it out.

none of the wires run past the pump. they go through the grommet that the main loom goes through on the passenger side.

ive stripped the wires out, put in new ones and new fuses etc (the easy stuff) and wiggled the wires at the back of the stereo but its still there.

my speaker amp is behind the drivers seat and sub amp is in the frunk.

any tips?
mikey2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] THE pump whining noise

Post by mikey2 »

are the leads that run from the stereo to the amp sheilded? that helps, also there is something you can put inline, not sure where to cut the oise out.
I think its interferfence from the alternator.
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

how do you mean shielded? what can i put on them?
i thought alternator but the noise changes pitch when i move the steering wheel.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

If it was ok and has now started getting worse, I'd be checking your earths to make sure they are all clean.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

all earths now checked and cleaned, still there. im getting the whine through speakers but also ive noticed that if my sub is at full whack and the cd is paused then i can see the sub moving, like its breathing or something :lol: :lol:

would these noise suppressors work for both? im guessing they go in the RCA line?
andyg1978

Post by andyg1978 »

When I fitted my stereo I had real bad interfearance.

Alternator was one and Power steering pump was the other.

Here is what I did to sort it out it took me ages trying many different things but these are the things that worked;

I mounted my amp on teh firewall behind the drivers seat. originally I had teh power to teh amp and te phono leads going down the centre channel, big mistake. Routed teh phonos behing the trim under teh treering wheel and then down the driver door footwell. This made the power steering whine better but did not get rid of it.
I earthed the amp to the body of the car, there the engine lid release is, first removing all paint rust etc so uit was metal to metal. This virtually stopped all the power steering noise. i can still hear it if teh car is not moving and im moving the steering wheel and Im specifically listeneing for it.

The alternator noise was harder to get rid of. Turned out to be where i had put the crossover for teh passenger speakers. This was picking up interfearance from wiring in the passenger footwell. Moved teh corssover into teh glove box and roberts your fathers brother.

All in all about 7 days worth of work.

I sorted it out eventually by finding a really helpfu guide on a website;

Do the following tests.

1) Remove the RCA leads from your amplifier. If yuo still have the problem cahnces are its at the amp side. if not try changing the head unit ground or grounding yoru RCA leads, easy to do wind some wire roung the male part of the RCA connector before you plug it in and then attac the other end of the wire to the head unit ground - apparently this helps with Pioneer systems especially.
2) If the noise is present with your head unit disconnected from your amplifier, remove each speaker in turn to find out the troublesome one. I originally though i had a problem with all of them do to the fullness of sound from the feedback, turned out to be just from teh front passanger speakers.
3)Once you have iosolated problem speakers, try to find out why, ie exposed connections, crossovers to close to wireing that sort of thing.

Only use isolators as a last possible resourt as they just mask the problem not cure it.

PM me if you want any more advice, like I say speant absolutely ages on this before I got it right and went down many wrong paths and happy to share any knowledge or experience with anybody to stop them making the same errors i did.

Andy
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

brill!!! il try all of that. my speaker amp is mounted behind the drivers seat too and the cross overs are in the doors, phono's are going down the center tunnel aswell. looks like im gunna rip it out and start again on your ideas :thumleft:
phipck

Post by phipck »

i know you say this has just appeared out of nowhere, but have a read through of this, it may help

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/131722.html
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

1) Remove the RCA leads from your amplifier. If yuo still have the problem cahnces are its at the amp side. if not try changing the head unit ground or grounding yoru RCA leads, easy to do wind some wire roung the male part of the RCA connector before you plug it in and then attac the other end of the wire to the head unit ground - apparently this helps with Pioneer systems especially.

tried this...got a massive buzz!

since amping my speakers i get a small pop in them when I turned off the stereo from the headunit (not when I switch off via the key). Turning on is fine. When the speakers were directly to the headunit they were fine. I tried several different ground points for both amp and stereo..done the usual..thick guage cables to chassis, even straight to the battery negative, and both grounds to the same point i still get it.

Run out of ideas. I've installed quite a few stereos and on other cars and most of the time a good gound point sorts that little pop. Cables are the shielded type and power cables routed away from other cables.

I think I give up now....until the summer
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

...got a questions...these phono cables that you can get with the extra remote cable built in...does that eliminate the need for the blue remote cable (as in use that instead) or is it supposed to be an extra ground for the cable?
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Thread revival :clap:

Pioneer systems (maybe others) have a pico fuse that blows if you connect rca's with amp power connected this causes the ground loop. So to prevent this always connect rca's when power from amp is off by removing battery fuse.

You can ground the rca's to the chassis to bypass a blown pico fuse but you also bypass the inbuilt protection.

Trunks, that's a remote cable so you can use either.
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

thanks gnzyza.

Yeah I always disconnect the power when attaching cables. As it goes, I actually have the same headunit in another car which doesn't have the problem. Swapped over and its the same thing. Put the headunit back in the other car and its fine. Tried triple shielded cables still no difference. I think I give up on this, the number of times I've taken stuff in and out soon something is going to break. I just turn the volume down now before switching off....its not as bad as the BUZZZ and whining some people get.

Oh, also tried the grounding the rca's I just get a massive buzz when doing so.

Return to “ICE and Security”