My new project (he's been hit FFS)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sketch

My new project (he's been hit FFS)

Post by sketch »

Well after much too'ing and fro'ing on deciding what car to have next, I decided to stay with the mr2s and this morning picked up my first mk2 :mrgreen:

It's an import rev 2 na (I think with rev 3 lights ? can anyone clarify please).

Bodywork is a bit shabby, front bumper's a few shades off :lol: and there's a few parking scrapes but i'm hoping to sort that at work.

It seems a solid, honest little car with a massive service history. Engine, gearbox and all the important stuff is good so with a little TLC I hope it'll make a nice addition to the family. Currently standing at 1 mk1 na, 1 mk1V6 and a celica gen 5. :mrgreen:

Anyway enough babble, here's some piccies.

Not bad for £500 \:D/
Last edited by sketch on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Munnsy

Re: My new project (he's been hit FFS)

Post by Munnsy »

cant complain for thwe money,
looks very clean though, rev 3 spoiler and lights :thumleft:

What you plan to do with her first then??
sketch

Post by sketch »

Munnsy wrote:

What you plan to do with her first then??

Cheers Dave, first plan of action is to get it all the same colour :lol:
De- tangoing the beasty too. :thumleft:

Then will think about wheels, exhaust and other add ons. Oh and getting rid of the Nankangs is pretty high on the list too. :lol:
vashy

Post by vashy »

sketch wrote:De- tangoing the beasty too. :thumleft:

Do you mean change the orange lenses for clear ones? The orange-white-orange-space-orange lights at the front look quite quirky!

sketch wrote:wheels
oh yes!!

for 500 with good service history sounds like an absolute steal. 8)
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
sketch

Post by sketch »

Hmmm..... Not really a fan of the orange Vash, plus they're in need of a cut and polish. Wheels will be a difficult choice, there are soooo many I like. :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Think Leon had a set of OEM rev4+ sidelights for sale, they are all clear, the same as the ones on my car :thumleft:

Edit: Found them! http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133993

That discolouration can happen on some shades, the plastic parts end up a different colour to the metal ones :roll: Looks neat for the money!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
sketch

Post by sketch »

toxo wrote:

That discolouration can happen on some shades, the plastic parts end up a different colour to the metal ones :roll: Looks neat for the money!

Cheers John, the bumper has had a respray in the wrong colour. My first thoughts were that it was the paint on plastic thing but on cleaning it yesterday you can see the original colour underneath. :(

Shouldn't be too hard to sort, I can get the sprayers at work to bring out their big paint matching books to get the shade spot on. :thumleft:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I will send you over all the clear lenses bits I have for the MK2 to give you a start :thumleft:
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
sketch

Post by sketch »

Malc, you're a star dude. Will text ya later. (at work) :mrgreen:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I think I still have a set of UK style side repeaters with clear lenses if you wanted to get rid of the toblerones? I'll have a dig in the next couple of days :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
sketch

Post by sketch »

Jaspa wrote:I think I still have a set of UK style side repeaters with clear lenses if you wanted to get rid of the toblerones? I'll have a dig in the next couple of days :thumleft:

Cool, thanks Stu. :thumleft: So do I now have to find blanking strips for when the toblerones come out ? :-k
sketch

Post by sketch »

Gave 'Jiro' a lil bit of a makeover this weekend, only in the engine bay but it's looking smarter. :mrgreen:

He has a nice new Carbon fiber airbox 8)

Which feeds straight down to the side vent. :thumleft:

Taking baby steps at the mo, making sure everything is healthy. Had a service last weekend and so far is running lovely and smooth. Didnt take long for the modding to start....gonna cost me all my wages :lol:
sketch

Post by sketch »

Well I thought this needed an update. I've been busy. :lol:

As above, the car came in so many different shades of SMG that a trip to a paint supplier told me it would be better to spray the whole car as the only original paint was the roof and that was in bad condition anyway. :roll:

I chose the Ford :oops: Frozen white as it was the whitest white I could find.
On the roof I went with Mercedes Obsidian pearlescent black as I'd seen it at work and liked it. 8-[

Started stripping the beasty down, far too much like being at work. :lol:

Had a few stonechips to sort on one of the wings.

Bit of bubbling on the other arch

Ready for paint.

First coats on, yes I sprayed him out of doors in an entry, under an IMOC gazeebo :lol:

All the white paint finished.

Roof being painted.

Being fitted back up. :twisted:

There are still bits to do (front and rear grill are going black) and the bonnet needs another compounding. He now sports black crystal sidelights/indicators too.

This was done over about two weeks, dodging rainstorms and dealing with a compressor blowing up on me all to be finished for JAE. :lol:

All in all it cost me £107 for the paint, £100 for a new compressor #-o
I got a new Devilbiss spraygun for a birthday gift from Chris :hug: and odds and sods (sanding gear, cutting compound, and the lend of a mopping machine)free from the guys at work. 8-[

Hoping to go Border next spring but for now I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out, just have to source some new tyres so he can wear matching alloys. :oops:
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Superb. :thumleft: Loving the colour scheme - which is why I'm more than happy it's on my SC too!! :)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

looks good, are you a sprayer then? i need to spray a few bits, i have a compressor and getting the paint and the spray gun will work out cheaper than a body shop
sketch

Post by sketch »

Cheers Max, choosing the colour scheme was partly down to Tiamat. :whistle: but I think it suits the mk2 well.

I'm not a sprayer, I strip and fit vehicles for insurance repairs. I do get to see a lot of what goes on though and the guys at work were happy to let me watch them. I have only sprayed with rattle cans before this so was kinda petrified once I'd paid out for all the gear - thinking "am I really gonna do this" :pale:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

confused now, are you the guy with the white/black one that got sprayed, i too have sprayed with cans, never with a spray gun, i guess i couod try on a spare panel though

edit: my pc must be playng up the last post im sure had a different user name, ignore me im going mad possibly
Last edited by jasongtr on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sketch

Post by sketch »

jasongtr wrote:looks good, are you a sprayer then? i need to spray a few bits, i have a compressor and getting the paint and the spray gun will work out cheaper than a body shop

One piece of advise....Buy a water trap. ](*,) I didn't think i'd need one but ended up respraying some of the smaller parts due to the compressor 'spitting' water all over them. I think mine cost about a tenner from the local paint supplier. :thumleft:
sketch

Post by sketch »

jasongtr wrote:confused now, are you the guy with the white/black one that got sprayed, i too have sprayed with cans, never with a spray gun, i guess i couod try on a spare panel though

edit: my pc must be playng up the last post im sure had a different user name, ignore me im going mad possibly

LOL, you're not confused :lol: I posted using my other halfs account by mistake then got him to delete it. :oops:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i guessd id need one of those my neighbour has one, how much did you spend on the spray gun, my compressor is 75 litre 2.5 hp i think - thats ok isnt it?

Return to “Member Profiles”