Mk1 MR2 Engine Rebuild

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

the moose

Mk1 MR2 Engine Rebuild

Post by the moose »

Hi there

I'm looking to rebuild the engine from my Mk1 MR2.

I am really looking for a guide starting with the engine in the car, and finshing with the engine in the car (if that makes sense!!). Also with a list of what to renew/replace etc.

Is there one out there that can be recommended?

Any help would be great!

Cheers
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Mk1 MR2 Engine Rebuild

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Start with a proper Toyota manual (AKA) BGB. It covers everything you have to do down to the smallest detail.

If you have a memory card you can post to me I'll chuck a copy on it and send it back to you. :thumleft:

Renew/replace: depends on your budget and what you find on dissassembly but other than gaskets/seals:
Check the water pump and replace if rusted/noisy bearings
Check the big end, crankshaft bearings and thrust washers and replace if worn. (I'd prob do it any way)
Piston rings as above.
I'd consider getting the bores honed and the block hot tanked. The former's neccessary if you change the piston rings.

Check the head for straightness & resurface/skim
On the head new valve stem seals and get the valves lapped/reseated. You could get them cut to a 3 angle profile for better sealing if you want.
Possibly get the rough edges taken off the ports to improve the flow.

Plenty of bits will need cleaning up and a new lick of paint, especially the coolant pipes under the inlet manifold.

You might also consider replacing the coolant pipes with silicon hose. Unfortunately there's no 'kit' as such but you can get flexible wire reinforced hose.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

HTH

Chris
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I dont know the scenario, you may want to rebuild the engine but if you just have a knackered one and are looking to replace, you could probably pick up a spare (working) engine for next to nothing.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
the moose

Post by the moose »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:I dont know the scenario, you may want to rebuild the engine but if you just have a knackered one and are looking to replace, you could probably pick up a spare (working) engine for next to nothing.

Honestly, it is a bit of both!

I don't want an engine that is just 'working', rather a strong fresh engine and I imagine the most reasonable way of doing this is by rebuilding it?!

M
the moose

Post by the moose »

Limeymk1 wrote:Start with a proper Toyota manual (AKA) BGB. It covers everything you have to do down to the smallest detail.

If you have a memory card you can post to me I'll chuck a copy on it and send it back to you. :thumleft:

Renew/replace: depends on your budget and what you find on dissassembly but other than gaskets/seals:
Check the water pump and replace if rusted/noisy bearings
Check the big end, crankshaft bearings and thrust washers and replace if worn. (I'd prob do it any way)
Piston rings as above.
I'd consider getting the bores honed and the block hot tanked. The former's neccessary if you change the piston rings.

Check the head for straightness & resurface/skim
On the head new valve stem seals and get the valves lapped/reseated. You could get them cut to a 3 angle profile for better sealing if you want.
Possibly get the rough edges taken off the ports to improve the flow.

Plenty of bits will need cleaning up and a new lick of paint, especially the coolant pipes under the inlet manifold.

You might also consider replacing the coolant pipes with silicon hose. Unfortunately there's no 'kit' as such but you can get flexible wire reinforced hose.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

HTH

Chris

I've PM'd you. Thanks Chris
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

the moose wrote:

I don't want an engine that is just 'working', rather a strong fresh engine and I imagine the most reasonable way of doing this is by rebuilding it?!

M

It is up to you but in my opinion, not a lot can go wrong with a well looked after 4age. A lot of people swap them for bigger engines so there are usually a few floating around. You may pick up a lowish mileage 4age for £200-£300 which would be strong and last for years.
the moose

Post by the moose »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:
the moose wrote:

M

It is up to you but in my opinion, not a lot can go wrong with a well looked after 4age. A lot of people swap them for bigger engines so there are usually a few floating around. You may pick up a lowish mileage 4age for £200-£300 which would be strong and last for years.

How low is low mileage? Where from?!
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

the moose wrote:
Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:
the moose wrote:

M

How low is low mileage? Where from?!

Wanted posts are a good way to start. I sold a 75k 4age engine for £150 a couple of years ago... nobody seemed to want it when I put it up for sale so I sold it for £150 just to get rid!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I am in desperate need of an engine, preferably low miles as one of my bearings is on its way out, does anyone have one or know of someone with one? Just the bottom end would suffice
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

just so happens i have a bottom end knocking about the head gasket went ive never got round to fixing it. ill check it over if you like? dont want a lot for it might aswell be used by someone!
4agte on the way
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I am in desperate need of an engine, preferably low miles as one of my bearings is on its way out, does anyone have one or know of someone with one? Just the bottom end would suffice

Which bearings? Big end bearings are around £70 from memory and can be replaced in situ.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

im purchasing an engine from rogue motorsport. no point changing bearings incase crank is oval.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”