[Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 Scoops

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2_BadBoi

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 Scoops

Post by Mr2_BadBoi »

hi there i am after 2 Scoops for mr2,drivers and passenger side,i would like carbon ones,i can only find drivers side,i believe there toms scoops i may be wrong lol would mind them if there not in carbon aswell
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 Scoops

Post by Jaspa »

You can get the n/s here
http://www.carbenfibrecreations.co.uk/p ... product=23

The offside is generally not a very good fit so if you can find a set 2nd hand it'll be better. They are generally rearer but they do exist and appear on ebay occasionally.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

ive got a passenger side toms replica scoop in fibreglass, painted yellow if you want it. let me know.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

O/S scoops that fit are rare because TOMS never produced one. They are an "invention" by owners to make the car look symetrical.

2nd to taping up the vents in the engine lid, scoops are the best way to send your engine bay temps sky high.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:O/S scoops that fit are rare because TOMS never produced one. They are an "invention" by owners to make the car look symetrical.

2nd to taping up the vents in the engine lid, scoops are the best way to send your engine bay temps sky high.

Do they really? :shock:

Would that depend on what your running though?

Say high power turbo Vs V6, mine would be fine (V6)?

Just I have made mine abit custom, you know the air filter sometimes sits forwards of the bottom of the scoop, i've shortened it and started to direct the air to the filter, also keeping the side vent in use to allow air into the bay.

Not sure if it makes a difference but the sucking noise from the scoop when the t-bar is off is awesome :)
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mr2_NA wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:O/S scoops that fit are rare because TOMS never produced one. They are an "invention" by owners to make the car look symetrical.

Do they really? :shock:

Airflow through the engine bay travels in a vertical direction. The area behind the rear window creates a low pressure area, drawing air up through the vents in the engine lid.

The original TOMS scoop fed a sealed induction system (which is why a right hand scoop never actually existed). So cooling air still travelled upwards though the engine bay, whilst cool induction air when down the scoop into the engine. The engine bay air and induction air never met.

Putting a scoop on without a sealed induction system results in the downward travelling air hitting the upward travelling air head on. Result is stalled air in your engine bay.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

largely true, except you have neglected to include both volumes and pressures in that explanation. i dont profess to know everything about the mr2 aerodynamics yet but i know enough to have a go at it.

due to the shaping of the scoop air is accelerated through the smallish entry hole at the top. it will be diffused slightly by the flair of the scoop, but it will still remain at a lower pressure than freestream over the roof due to imperfect pressure recovery. the result is that the air leaving the bottom of the scoop is moving slightly faster than free stream but at lower pressure.

assuming the air coming through the side vents and bottom of the engine bay were at the same free stream velocity and pressure as the air arriving at the scoop, this arriving air will fill the engine bay with its pressure and velocity rather unchanged. the intake areas will be largely proportional to the intake volumes they produce. due to the vast difference between the size of the side vents + the engine bay compared to the entry hole of the scoop, the rest of the air will have a much greater momentum. this will be almost completely unaffected by the scoop air. the side vent air will try to fill the low pressure area at the bottom of the scoop, accelerating it into the void, collecting the scoop air with it and overpowering it to flow in the right direction.

so unless someone has done some engine bay temp measurements with and without fitment of a scoop that can prove conclusively that scoops cause engine bay temperature to go 'sky high', i dispute the claim based on aerodynamics.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Tests have been done. With a scoop fitted, and an "unsealed" induction system, under-engine lid temps rise.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

sky high though? or just a little bit?

also were the tests done at idle or at full load? because at full load the induction airflow will be a massive factor, and consume most of the scoop airflow as well as the side vent airflow
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

I'm inclined to Pete's explanation here....

.... Also, aesthetically it makes the car look horrendous.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

-:[KM]:- wrote:I'm inclined to Pete's explanation here....

.... Also, aesthetically it makes the car look horrendous.

+1!
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

agree with Peter here,

1, they look naff.

2, unless its a genuine TOMS one with the airbox to match, they do naff all.

3, people will always insist they are right to justify their purchase.

There is a reason MR2s didnt roll out of the factory with these fitted.... :thumleft:
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
Marf

Post by Marf »

^^ As above. Pete's right.

The undertrays on the MR2 guide air up into the engine bay from underneath which is then vented via the engine cover, which is directly below a low pressure area.

By forcing air into the engine bay from above, you disrupt the airflow, hence why temps will rise.

If you have a sealed airbox being fed by a scoop, then fair enough, but otherwise they will just cause extra heat.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I fitted them to my old Rev3 Turbo for cosmetic reasons only. Never had any side effects :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Should you have been driving with eyesight like that?

R.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

eyesight is fine. It's behind them thats a bit messed up :bounce:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

got one fitted to my rev2 and not had no probs yet with engine getting hot, plus i quite like the look of it. Affter all the work that went into blending it into the original metal plate it ain't coming off :lol:

Not everyones cup of tea but personally i don't care what people think of my car some might like it, some might hate it but its not the other persons who own it. :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

They're kinda like the veilside nose cones...a bit of the old marmite thing: you either love em or :sick:
alan7

Post by alan7 »

ive got an original toms scoop on my rev2 n/a and had no probs with engine temp

unsure if i like the look of it yet though cant decide :S
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

after readin this am now all confused i wanted to fit one to aid air intake to my bay as the side scoops never seem to offer that much and was always under the beleaf that more air is better.

mines a rev1 turbo, how ever upon opening my engine cover i have a black shroud with only a small opening to let air out/in.

i have been trying with out the latch down on my engine cover but think it was mainly because i was lazy to close it properly, but it may have made a difference

Return to “Modifications”