It's like a toy ferrari

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt_mr2t

Re: It's like a toy ferrari

Post by matt_mr2t »

£25k + car :shock:

It's still a lot, lot, lot cheaper than a Mercielago, but is it worth it for a fake?

Thats like paying £200 for a fake Tag watch IMO.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

The other thing that worries me about these (and most body-kits) is that if you're leaving the metal panels on there and gluing fibreglass over the top there's a good chance your car might be going rusty and you'll never know until it falls apart.

At least with a Fiero-based kit you can pull off most of the metal panels before you start.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Nod wrote:
philster_d wrote:I just realised the other day when I saw some real Ferrari's that all these crappy kit cars have really devalued the brand for me.

They have started on the Lambo's too. Won't be long before we have a MR2 SW20 Veyron replica.

Lyndon.

you say that, coming home from hastings yesterday as i came through maidstone town centre i saw a astra 4 door with a body kit on it that was cack but to top it off the bonnet was made to look like a veron front [-X i wet my self laughing :lol:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Say £30k all in inc. an engine conversion (V6 or V8) and you could be into some very interesting second hand cars.... Can't figure out why people would want a replica like that over say a genuine 308 gt4 or even maybe a 308 gtb (although I understand that many don't want to grow a big bushy 'tache).
At that level there are quite a few top quality genuine classics to be had so why oh why go the replica route?

R.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Its not the buying of supercars thats particularly expensive - its the runnning them :-(

If your used to shelling out a couple of hundred quid to service yoiur Toyota you may balk at some of the Ferrari servicing costs.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939
Mike N

replica

Post by Mike N »

Quote taken from above

"If somebody made a bodykit for a car which actually made it lighter than the original car and happened to look like a Ferrari it'd be something I could get really enthusiastic about".

My replica is not a vague Ferrari copy, but please read on.

It is not only lighter than the original, it drives better than the original, its quicker than the original, has higher top speed than the original, has better brakes than the original, its cheaper to modify than the original, its more reliable than the original, parts and servicing are much cheaper than the original, it has power steering, electric mirrors, electric windows, adjustable steering - unlike the original, and its cheaper to insure than the original. And more importantly its cheaper to own than the original!

And yes every external body panel is exactly the same as the original.

I could go on!

But underneath its an MR2 Turbo, just take a look...........

www.banham200.co.uk

Visit the ever expanding Gallery section - Mikes MR2 - RS200 Replica

Mike N.
Last edited by Mike N on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greglebon

Re: replica

Post by greglebon »

Now, I have to say....the RS200 replicas are the ONLY replicas I DO actually like, and have no problems with...! :thumleft:

Reason why?

Well......the real McCoy costs £50k+...
They actually LOOK genuine (well, the bodypanels are OEM spec, anyway..!)

.....and, I've always thought the RS200 looks the nuts.......(which is the clincher, really! :wink: :D )

Which leads me to the obvious Q!

IF there are at least 2 decent RS200 replicas around...

...WTF has no-one done a convincing MK1 Group S rally-car replica yet..!!!?? :roll:

They're very similar cars, after all? Stick a 3SGTE / V6 in there, and you're away......

COME ON, someone...chop,chop! :twisted:

Incidentally.......has anyone got experience of the Trevor Lewis / Subaru Impreza-based RS200 replicas, touted around a short while ago...?

+ point: it actually IS 4WD....
- point: the engine is in the wrong place......! :neutral:
Mike N

200 times better

Post by Mike N »

Well I think that is a positive reply :thumleft: ,

I have built two so far, and can help or give guidance on the RS200 forums.

Unfortunately the price of genuine original Ford built cars are up into the £100k bracket.

I also agree about the MK1 Group B rally car, I understand that Toyota tried transverse as well an inline version and 4WD.

If they had done an MR2 4WD Rally car, I would have probably made mine the same way.

Trev moved abroad but think he visits uk ocasionally.

Mike.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”