[Mk2] [Generic] Fitting drop links

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheBaker

[Mk2] [Generic] Fitting drop links

Post by TheBaker »

Should be getting my drop links tommorow and will fit them myself, wondering if anyone has any tips or anything I should know?

Is it simply remove unbolt and put them back on?

Also, must the wheel come off, I can kinda get round there with the wheel still on and the wheel turned obviously.

Thanks. :)
ej2_sir

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Fitting drop links

Post by ej2_sir »

You will need to remove the wheel tbh.
Basically you will want to give them a good soak in WD40 as they get real corroded. You need to use a allen key (if there originals) and a ring spanner to remove otherwise they will just spin (it will all become obviouse when you get down there). Hopefully they will come off easily but be prepaired for a battle!
Si_Crewe

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Fitting drop links

Post by Si_Crewe »

Be prepared to saw the old droplinks off.

I found the best way to do it (and I know this might sound a bit extreme) was to saw diagonally through the nuts. Half the nut will fall away and the remaining part will almost certainly be loose enough to undo with a ring spanner.

Other thing to consider is that you can't fit the drop-links without loosening the bolts securing the hubs to the struts.
I found the best way to do it, with least hassle, was to remove one blot from the strut, loosen the other one.
That'll allow you to hinge the hub and strut outward far enough to get the drop-link in behind the strut.

Return to “Mechanical”