Recommended PC games

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dawolf

Recommended PC games

Post by dawolf »

I'm expecting my new PC to arrive this week so finally I will be able to play the latest games on it. What games do people recommend? Any good racing games out? Thanks.
mikee66

Re: Recommended PC games

Post by mikee66 »

crysis :D

if your pc is up to it ofc
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Is Crysis actually a good game or is it just pretty?

I have never heard anyone mention a "good story" or anything like that but that could be because the graphics have taken the limelight.

Whilst im here, i have an urge to build a military base and put a big wall around it.

After Command And Conquer let me down massively. Anyone suggest anything else?
Rev 3 GTS
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

No it's a quality game, Good story, good controls and the graphics are amazing!
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Crysis is an interesting game but, erm, it's not perfect.

I tried playing it on one of the harder settings a year or so ago and it was just ridiculously hard.
It got to the point where it simply didn't matter what weapons were available because the ONLY way to reliably kill even the weakest enemy is to run right up to them and empty all 8 shells from the shotgun into their ear.

"Realism" is one thing but when you, the power-suit equipped special forces soldier, can be killed with 1 or 2 shots and yet a poxy korean conscript can take 2 or 3 shotgun blasts to the face without breaking stride there's something wrong.

Equally, you can spend 10 minutes stalking through the undergrowth and then take a single shot at somebody with a sniper rifle from 1000 metres away (and not kill your target because you're firing bullets made of feathers at koreans made of kevlar) and every bad guy within 5 miles will start returning fire at you with unerring accuracy using their hanguns or AK47s.

Because of these issues, I reckon the best way to play Crysis is to set it to the easiest difficulty level and then just enjoy the graphics and the story.

There are several really big "attack the enemy base" type set-piece battles and they're just plain annoying on the harder levels but you can really enjoy them on the easier difficulty.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

if you get crysis then download the "photo realism mod" the graphics are even better on top of that you can et the "ultra high" mod which sets everything to ultra high.
search them on youtube they look so amazing
Joey

Post by Joey »

Race Driver GRID, great driving game
Marf

Post by Marf »

Si_Crewe wrote:Crysis is an interesting game but, erm, it's not perfect.

I tried playing it on one of the harder settings a year or so ago and it was just ridiculously hard.
It got to the point where it simply didn't matter what weapons were available because the ONLY way to reliably kill even the weakest enemy is to run right up to them and empty all 8 shells from the shotgun into their ear.

"Realism" is one thing but when you, the power-suit equipped special forces soldier, can be killed with 1 or 2 shots and yet a poxy korean conscript can take 2 or 3 shotgun blasts to the face without breaking stride there's something wrong.

Wasn't my experience playing on Delta. Yes it was easier for me to die, but the enemy certainly wasnt that difficult to kill.

Personally I loved Crysis and Warhead. Played them both through on Delta a few times now. Power Struggle Multiplayer is great too.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Far Cry 2

Much much better than Crysis.

BC2

COD4.5

Track Mania Nations (free on steam)

Dirt 2

:thumleft:

Also in the same boat, new laptop so new games to play :) and old ones at full settings O:)
Joey

Post by Joey »

Far Cry 2 was an awful game IMO. Say you took out a checkpoint on the way to somewhere, on the way back you'd have to take it out again...very annoying....
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

+1 for BC2 is you like fps! Need more PC BC2ers so we can start IMOC clan!
My personal website : http://www.jonathanchye.co.uk
phipck

Post by phipck »

definatly Dirt for rally racing, making the most of DX11 :thumleft:

i have Just Cause on the ps3 but it looks much much better on Pc

i built a new pc last weekend so am looking to drop a few of the last years games i missed out on like crysis etc.

what spec is the pc? i just installed:

gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
4gb corsair ddr3 1333MHz
intel i5 661
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb

big step up from my old socket 478 Pentium 4 3.4 extreme edition with 1gb corsair twinx xms xl pro ddr from back in 2004!
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Cool. Will probably try Crysis, Race Driver:Grid and Left 4 Dead 2 to start with. Computer still hasn't arrived after 2 weeks. Lol. The spec is:

AMD Phenom X2 545 3GHZ CPU (6mb cache)
Asus M2N68 Pro motherboard (cheap but decent)
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI 5750 1GB Graphics (DX11 ready)
500GB 7200rpm HDD
Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Cost me £540. It should be reasonably quick and will hopefully last me a couple of years before upgrades are needed :thumleft:
Joey

Post by Joey »

phipck wrote:definatly Dirt for rally racing, making the most of DX11 :thumleft:

i have Just Cause on the ps3 but it looks much much better on Pc

i built a new pc last weekend so am looking to drop a few of the last years games i missed out on like crysis etc.

what spec is the pc? i just installed:

gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
4gb corsair ddr3 1333MHz
intel i5 661
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb

big step up from my old socket 478 Pentium 4 3.4 extreme edition with 1gb corsair twinx xms xl pro ddr from back in 2004!

I found Dirt to be very easy, GRID was a lot more challenging
phipck

Post by phipck »

dawolf wrote:Cool. Will probably try Crysis, Race Driver:Grid and Left 4 Dead 2 to start with. Computer still hasn't arrived after 2 weeks. Lol. The spec is:

4GB DDR2 RAM
500GB 7200rpm HDD
Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Cost me £540. It should be reasonably quick and will hopefully last me a couple of years before upgrades are needed :thumleft:

nice spec dude, not far different from mine, you should be very pleased with it. i know when i bought unreal tournement 3 last year and my old pc choked at the sight of it i was really bummed. so to pop it onto my new rig everything set to full and running 1920x1080 on my 40" samsung screen and see it fly through, really made my day :thumleft:

and dirt2 isnt the most difficult game but it realy is great fun, grid was good but i can play nfs shift to get my track based racing down. for off road my personal preference is dirt 2 and its full dx11
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

sw20GTS wrote:+1 for BC2 is you like fps! Need more PC BC2ers so we can start IMOC clan!

:thumleft:
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Trackmania
Supreme Commander 2
MW2 (If you can get it cheap)
Left for Dead 1 and 2
Bioshock
Joey

Post by Joey »

phipck wrote:
dawolf wrote:Cool. Will probably try Crysis, Race Driver:Grid and Left 4 Dead 2 to start with. Computer still hasn't arrived after 2 weeks. Lol. The spec is:

4GB DDR2 RAM
500GB 7200rpm HDD
Windows 7 Home 64-bit

nice spec dude, not far different from mine, you should be very pleased with it. i know when i bought unreal tournement 3 last year and my old pc choked at the sight of it i was really bummed. so to pop it onto my new rig everything set to full and running 1920x1080 on my 40" samsung screen and see it fly through, really made my day :thumleft:

and dirt2 isnt the most difficult game but it realy is great fun, grid was good but i can play nfs shift to get my track based racing down. for off road my personal preference is dirt 2 and its full dx11

You seriously prefer the cack that was nfs shift to GRID ?? :shock:
phipck

Post by phipck »

dude some people like marmite, next you'll be questioning why i have long hair and a beard :thumleft:
Joey

Post by Joey »

phipck wrote:dude some people like marmite, next you'll be questioning why i have long hair and a beard :thumleft:

Long hair and a beard ?!? That's the last straw, you hippy types and your crazy ideas !!! :lol:

Return to “Games Consoles”