what alarm?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmomr2

what alarm?

Post by timmomr2 »

ive got to the point were ive decided i really need an alarm, the amount of money ive spent on parts for the car is really mounting up and the car sticks out like a sore thumb.

i dont want to spend tooooo much money but i do want a good quality alarm. i want it to lock and unlock via a fob. have a good alarm system and sensors that dont go off whenever they feel like it. im also considering one with an engine kill switch if its possible to get one and depending on price.

any advice or links would be usefull, unless you know someone good in the stockport/manchester area i think ill get it fitted by a friend.

cheers timmo
Quigonjay

Re: what alarm?

Post by Quigonjay »

we have an alarm fitter affiliate on imoc, mrtoadinstaller
think he is based in leeds so not much to travel
my toad ai606 has always been very reliable and seems quite a popular alarm
malcster

Post by malcster »

I had a Toad on an old car :thumleft:

I have a Clifford now Clicky Clicky Very good alarm, would recommend for deffo! :D

I'd say you definitely want a Cat1, don't scrimp.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother...
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
John145

Post by John145 »

A kill switch is really quite easy as the battery is just on the other side of the dash, simply need a switch with a key to be hooked inline with the negative power supply like...
http://www.classicpartsworld.co.uk/prod ... tem_id=125
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

i like the sound of the clifford, any idea what the blckjax anti car jacking system is that it features.

i was thinking of a kill switch that i can keep in my pocket of the fob so that if i get car jacked i can press the switch and shut the car down. ive heard that you can get them but no clue were.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Worth thinking about...

An approved immobiliser is a lot cheaper than a comparable alarm.

Maybe consider having an immobiliser fitted (to get yourself the insurance certificate) rather than an alarm OR get the immobiliser fitted and then find yourself a simple pager-thing off eBay and install it yourself so you'll know if anybody's tampering with your baby.

Course, if you have the cash to go for a full-on thatcham-approved paging alarm then go for it. It'll be the heavy end of £1k to get it fitted though.
turbo Tom

Post by turbo Tom »

cliffords backjax is great basically you get a code on your fob and this has to be put in on the 2 button valet switch in the correct sequence. If the code is put in wrong or not at all then 30 seconds down the road you will get 5 chirps/beeps and all the lights will flash, if you fail to put the code in correctly within another 30 seconds then the engine shuts off and the alarm will sound constantly until the correct code is put in.

However you should also know that with this activated you have to put the code in everytime a door is opened, i.e dropping a friend off at home without switching the car off you would still need to put it in before driving away.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

timmomr2 wrote:i was thinking of a kill switch that i can keep in my pocket of the fob so that if i get car jacked i can press the switch and shut the car down. ive heard that you can get them but no clue were.

FWIW, that's a very good idea.

You could probably build something suitable with about £20 of bits off ebay.
It'd just be a generic remote control transmitter and receiver fitted into the power wire to the ECU or somewhere.

Alternatively, you could do something similar where a switch on the dashboard activates a timer that'll cut power to the engine after 60 seconds or summat.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

dont you need at least a cat1 alarm to insure these cars anyway or are you NA?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:dont you need at least a cat1 alarm to insure these cars anyway or are you NA?

No, I have a Tubby and for the last 2 years it has had no alarm or immobiliser fitted and never had a problem with insurance.

Now i have a TOAD Ai606 fitted. The only reason i fitted this is because i'm getting fed up with opening the door with the key :lol:

Fitted it myself so no insurance certificate
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

It'll definitely be worth getting something fitted for you, just to get the certificate.

I was quoted £280 to insure my n/a but the insurance broker forgot about the immobiliser. After I faxed them a copy of the cert the quote went down to £145.

Out of interest, I phoned up the garage that installed the immobiliser to find out how much it cost and it turned out it was only about £200.
Savings on insurance in one year almost covers the cost of the immobiliser.
ashley

Post by ashley »

You can get the certificate stamped if you fit the Toad alarm yourself- you just have to get your intallation inspected by an official installer. I installed the Ai606 myself on my last car - was a hassle getting it inspected, but cheaper than getting the official folk to do the whole install.

The only potential issue with the Toad systems is that the install instructions are now easily available, which makes self-installation easy, but makes you wonder re: the level of security they give! Having said that the key immobilizing circuits are unmarked black wires...so if you are careful about how you do the wiring you can easily 'hide' what you've done.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

well, my dad is insured on the car and i drive it using the third party extension of my run arround (the car is turbo) i cant reasonably get insured on the car yet so the way i see it is if i stuff it then its my fault but i am insured legally and if a damage anyone elses property they get there car fixed. due to this i dont mind to much about the insurance but i really want a good alarm for peice of mind, security and remote centeral locking.

if someone sees me get out of the car when its finished and lock it with the key there going to think its easy pickings for parts etc. toad and clifford seem to be the 2 alarms that keep popping up. i may pop into a couple of car audio shops through the week and see whats on offer
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

an alarm is only as good as the person installing it.

ive seen many cliffords fitted very badley and makes baby jesus cry as there great syystems, just let down by people that dont know how to fit them right.

i have toad ai606 on my mr2 turbo, was fitted quite well, id have gave them 6/10 as ive had to sort a few niggles out my self such as loose wires and siren location.

it really is worth getting a pro to look at it but get one that is very well respected
tommullin

Post by tommullin »

i got a toad ai606 fitted by secure a car. it was the cheapest place by far that i could find, they came to me and did an alright job for £205, in the end a mate with an E30 wanted one at the same time so we haggled and got them for £195 each. the fitter was pretty cool too, fixed the E30's standard central locking for free saving my mate a few quid!

i had to get one tho because my insurance wouldnt cover me against theft without one, even on an NA!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”