[Mk2] [Turbo] Timing question...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

djpkins

[Mk2] [Turbo] Timing question...

Post by djpkins »

I have recently had starting probs and the car stinks of fuel and is no where near as rapid as it was...there is a good spark and fuel is a plenty so I'm thinking it must be the timing that has slipped. I am running 1 bar of boost with a mines ecu and supporting mods....what should I set it to? I have a new o-ring for the dizzy so I am hoping that changing that and re setting the timing will sort the problem out...I'm sure that I've read in previous posts that 8 degrees is correct.
Nick86

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Timing question...

Post by Nick86 »

quite sure its 10 degrees btdc as standard..

8 degrees you'll be overfuelling
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

yes ...I think you're right..but it's not standard and I've read in a post answered by Bob Hatton that at 1 bar boost... 8 degs is safer to stop the knock...as it goes I think the prob lies elsewhere but I shall take your info and put it to Bob in a pm...thanks for the reply man :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Hi there

my car has just a decat, hks filter and blue flame

over the years, I've had my car both above and below 10 degrees.

I had my timing up near 12 degrees btdc, and got a bhp reading of 278, but this was with quite a bit of knock reported by the bloke. (I backed it off when I got home!)

another time, it was down nearer 8, and symptoms were: a lot of lag (but it kicked in hard) a glowing turbo and manifold after a long run (heat shield removed) and an almightly backfire when coming off the gas (i'm not talking popping, I'm talking gunfire).

All in all, less advance will be safer from a detonation point of view.

are the plugs good? is the air filter clear?

Ian
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I generally used to get popping when coming off the gas on a warm engine and no lag or probs whatsoever...so I was never concerned about timing as I assumed it was correct...I think that the probs have been because I put HKS platinum plugs in it...I took them out of a rev 3 tubby that I've been breaking as they were virtually brand new..but they're just not suitable for my rev 2 setup...my engine and car in general are well maintained by me on a regular basis, even though I fully admit that I'm learning more and more from people on this forum all the time, so it fried my brain when I started to get these mad problems...I'm hoping now that I won't get any adverse effects from installing a rev 3 igniter...thanks for the replies :thumleft: it's still a learning curve for me.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Ian, what timing did you find best? slightly below 10?

Return to “Mechanical”