Battery died AGAIN!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Battery died AGAIN!

Post by Grendel »

Ok for the 2nd time this year after not using the car for week the battery was flat again?
Yet as soon as I stick it on the charger 8Amp it says fully charged in a few minutes but the fully charged never comes on when you slow charge it?

Battery is now back on the car it started with a bit of a splutter (possibly got a wet engine after all the wind and rain and the car not being moved?)

So sounds like the battery is on its way out and I was wandering where the best place to get a good heavy duty battery at a sensible price?
IanClements

Re: Battery died AGAIN!

Post by IanClements »

I replaced my battery at the start of the year; I did some research and opted for a Halfords calcium at £82.99. Not cheap but it was just about the only calcium I could find and the looking at the specs it was stronger than anything else I could find (600aH).

Reviews were very good for it and if you don't use your car everyday then very useful.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

What are the differences between Lead Acid and calcium batteries besides the obvious? :-s
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I think calcium holds the charge for longer so it's better for cars that are only used once a week.
Nickstapleton

Post by Nickstapleton »

If your considering getting a battery from Halfords give me a shout as i have a trade card, it will knock quite a few quid off for you :thumleft: , im only based in Gosport just down the road so if you wanted could meet up. :D, in Wales at the moment but will be back Tom

Nick
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

As an obvious thing, have you checked the fluid levels in the battery?
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

IanClements wrote:I think calcium holds the charge for longer so it's better for cars that are only used once a week.

They also have a far greater cold cranking capacity, so when its minus 10 outside, the starter motor still gets its share of Amps, rather than the customary relay clicking when the battery is old / on its way out....! :thumleft:
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Thanks for the replies. And I’ll be in touch Nick when I need the battery.

Don’t think its battery level though since only plays up when it’s been left in cold/damp weather.

Unfortunately the battery problem will have to wait for the moment since I’ll be going in for shoulder surgery on Monday so probably wont be allowed to drive for a few months.

To lay the car up I presume I just disconnect the Pos lead and park it in gear with hand brake off under a cover while i'm not using it?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Grendel wrote:To lay the car up I presume I just disconnect the Pos lead and park it in gear with hand brake off under a cover while i'm not using it?

Yup, that's about right Ian. :thumleft:

BTW Cass has a trade card too. :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”