gaming headphones for the PS3

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fizz

gaming headphones for the PS3

Post by fizz »

Anyone know if the mic would work via a USB connector on the PS3 with this item?

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/usb-ste ... ium=shcomp
H3RB

Re: gaming headphones for the PS3

Post by H3RB »

they mic will work but u wont get the game sound coming through the same headset. if you have £200 to spare then look to buy some astro A40's they are the best gaming headset money can buy
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

H3RB

Post by H3RB »

turtle beach are terrible, astro a40's and now the a30's are much much better. they can be used on 360, ps3, pc. you can even plug your ipod into the mix amp that it comes with and play ur music while listening to game sounds etc
you can also plug 2, 3, 4 or more mix amps together incase you ever play a tourney lol so u can have your own private chat function.
fizz

Post by fizz »

if only i was rich... :mrgreen:
Azz

Post by Azz »

Got my bro these for Crimbo, Very good.

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/h ... .html?id=2
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Azz wrote:Got my bro these for Crimbo, Very good.

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/h ... .html?id=2

Anyone want to explain how you get 5.1 surround sound from headphones?

It must be possible given we've got only 2 ears, but I think it'd need some kind of processor inside the headphones to delay certain channels to give direction.

Do these 5.1 headphones *really* work?
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

Yeah they work. Usually they have several small speakers in each cup the same as how u would set up surround sound in your living room etc.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

H3RB wrote:Yeah they work. Usually they have several small speakers in each cup the same as how u would set up surround sound in your living room etc.

I understand that.
But that alone will not give surround sound.
The headphones need to delay the sound going to individual ears to give 'direction'.
Do they really do this?

TBH, it seems more of a gimmick to me. There's no reason for having 8 speakers in the headphones. Could be done with just 2, as long as the individual channels are processed correctly.
Azz

Post by Azz »

The do exactly that, the ones I got for my bro has every channel controllable with individual delays of up to 0.5 seconds.

You can tell exactly where someone is coming from :thumleft:

I have a system stuck to the ceiling in my house, and my bro's headset is as good (just not got the quality of mine :twisted:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I also have the Sharkoon Xtatic headphones. Brilliant headset!

It comes with its own processor unit which does the whole Dolby 5.1 stuff and you can program the delay etc – they will take a while to set up but once done they really work. I usually only have mine 1 notch over mute as they are also bloody loud. How anyone can wear these on the Blue / White volume settings is beyond me. You will be amazed at what you miss out on in games without them, there are so many small audio touches in games that you simply wont hear on a TV at normal volume but really contribute to the atmosphere.

One thing you will notice is some games have sloppy audio, you wouldn’t pick this up with normal TV speakers but with the 5.1 and being so close to your ears you do.

Biggest irritation with these headphones is that unless your in a party then you wont be able to clearly hear the game chat as it comes through mixed in with the game sounds. I have also had limited luck using the headphones in party chat, for some reason people cant hear me and the jack that goes into the controller is loose which causes loads of crackling.

Strangely I also have developed reoccurring case of swimmers ear since getting the headphones, dunno if its linked or not.
fizz

Post by fizz »

You know what.. im really considering getting a set of these... :-k

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-X-Tati ... B000GIXISM

They have really good reviews but the bit about hearing voice chat being drowned out by the game sounds would be very irritating considering the price of the buggers.

Return to “Games Consoles”