Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

PS3 to have "other os" option removed

Post by Jaspa »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8594720.stm

Was planning to have some linux fun over the easter break as well #-o
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
mikee66

Re: PS3 to have "other os" option removed

Post by mikee66 »

lol i've never met anyone who's used it.

No big loss imo and it'll save some room on the hdd i guess
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I haven't used it yet either but decided to have a play while I have the week off.

Coincidence with the timing.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Been following this story for a few weeks now and if it isn't a pathetic PR stunt/April Fool then it's a very bad move from Sony.

And their response ... Don't update and don't buy any more games and support us and our developers :-k

Brillaint way to treat your customers.

I've used Linux for a long time on the PS3 and use it over firing up the laptop when i'm not gaming. It was one of the swaying points to hold off for the system over the 360 as the PS3 was supposed to do(ES EVERYRTHING according to their current ad campaign?)

This move will p1$$ off more than "a few"
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Well, I wouldn't put 100% of the blame on Sony, you've got this guy to thank...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129829
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

JohnnyC wrote:Well, I wouldn't put 100% of the blame on Sony, you've got this guy to thank...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129829

There's always one person who ruins it for everyone else

Andy Jones wrote:
And their response ... Don't update and don't buy any more games and support us and our developers

can you show me that official response please mate or did you just make it up?
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Google it mate. Like I said this kettle's been on the boil for weeks. The BBC where a couple days late bringing this out.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

I can't find anything like what you've said mate, all i can find is this

Sony has issued a statement saying that the next PlayStation 3 firmware update will remove support for other operating systems over “security systems”.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

It's a games console, WTF were they giving the option of another OS in the first place? ](*,)

I realise that's not the point, but I think everyone can understand their reasoning behind removing it now (and it was never available for the Slim that was released last year - before this hacker. Although maybe Sony had a suspicion it would be possible).
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

mikee66 wrote:I can't find anything like what you've said mate, all i can find is this

Sony has issued a statement saying that the next PlayStation 3 firmware update will remove support for other operating systems over “security systems”.

On Monday they said something along the lines of: users don't have to update but you'll no longer be able to sign into the psn to go online, purchase content or play upcoming titles that reuire the latest firmware.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

JohnnyC wrote:It's a games console, WTF were they giving the option of another OS in the first place? ](*,)

I realise that's not the point, but I think everyone can understand their reasoning behind removing it now (and it was never available for the Slim that was released last year - before this hacker. Although maybe Sony had a suspicion it would be possible).

Removing it once a back door has been found is too late and pointless.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Andy Jones wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:It's a games console, WTF were they giving the option of another OS in the first place? ](*,)

Removing it once a back door has been found is too late and pointless.

Well, it's better to put a bolt on it rather than ignore the problem.
And this hacker never got through the door, merely looked through the window :D
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

JohnnyC wrote:And this hacker never got through the door, merely looked through the window :D

After the info in the earlier thread where GeoHot released the info he'd found and said he wasn't taking it any further he apparently did and reportedly managed to hack into the GameOS via Linux, If this is true then it was a seroius threat.

But the fact that Sony are punishing everyone else who purchased the machine to use as a home computer as well as a games console which is what it was originally designed (and we payed) for is outragous.

Piracy isn't the goal behind hacking the PS3, "IF" it happens and I believe hacking the PSN is a VERY big "IF", PSN online gaming will go down the sh1tter with hacks and cheats like what's being seen over on the 360. People want to run homebrew and unsigned code on the system out of curiousity and to see what can be achieved and Linux provided this gateway.

"IF" a custom firmware was to emerge that allowed you to retain OtherOS and run PS3 back-ups the damage will be self inflicted by Sony. The consumer has already lost PSN access due to not wanting to loose a feature they paid for and was told in no way that this feature may be removed in the future so they don't give a toss anymore about online gaming. They are left with buying the latest game ... BUT it won't load without updating the firmware so why waste your cash. Which leaves what has plagued the PSP for years, Hacked back-ups to run on any firmware you choose as you have no other choice for playing the latest games, You would have thouht they'd learned from the PSP but this is all speculation so we will just wait and see :)
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

if they get hacked properly then ill be buying a second (even tho ive just sold 2 lol) just to use with cfw the things possible on the psp are awesome so imagine how good it would be on the ps3 :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Andy Jones wrote:After the info in the earlier thread where GeoHot released the info he'd found and said he wasn't taking it any further he apparently did and reportedly managed to hack into the GameOS via Linux, If this is true then it was a seroius threat.

Sound like he got stuck :wink:

Andy Jones wrote:But the fact that Sony are punishing everyone else who purchased the machine to use as a home computer as well as a games console which is what it was originally designed (and we payed) for is outragous.
Yes, it's a bit naughty of them, but...

Andy Jones wrote:Piracy isn't the goal behind hacking the PS3
Oh yes it is.

I think if the PS3 gets hacked like the PSP did I doubt we'll see a PS4, or indeed a Sony anything. They'd lose millions.

So it's worth the risk for Sony to upset the 0.01% of PS3 owners that would like Linux installed?

ps. I'm not a Sony fanboi, I personally won't be buying anything from them again after the PS3, thanks to them leaving me with a £450 doorstop of a fat PS3 :twisted:
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

JohnnyC wrote:
Andy Jones wrote:Piracy isn't the goal behind hacking the PS3
Oh yes it is.

I think if the PS3 gets hacked like the PSP did I doubt we'll see a PS4, or indeed a Sony anything. They'd lose millions.

So it's worth the risk for Sony to upset the 0.01% of PS3 owners that would like Linux installed?

ps. I'm not a Sony fanboi, I personally won't be buying anything from them again after the PS3, thanks to them leaving me with a £450 doorstop of a fat PS3 :twisted:

If you want to play the latest games for free you buy a 360 :thumleft:

I don't mind buying games although I have just got AVP for £20 and don't think that's worth even a tenner LOL ](*,) and I would like to see the PS3 stay piracy free but as H3RB states, running unsigned code from the XMB would be awesome and it doesn't affect game sales one bit nor has running Linux on the millions of fats already out there. A back door was found ages ago in the XMB and someone released a NES emulator in JAVA and Sony locked that down straight away.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

Andy Jones wrote:

If you want to play the latest games for free you buy a 360 :thumleft:

indeed, now you dont even need a disk as all the games run from the hard drive lol any arcade game out is now free so is every dlc for every game. has it hindered ms sales and forced ms to make a new 360? not in the slightest..... infact most of what is on the 360 as standard is thanks to modding and custom dash's on the xbox 1
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Perhaps thats Sony's strategy to increase sales then, All fat owners buy a slim to stay online. Nil point [-X
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update

Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Good. Sony have every right to protect their device, and anyone who bought a PS3 for Linux is an idiot. It's a games console FFS, not a bloody computer.

People should be pointing their fingers at that Geohot fellow, not Sony.

Return to “Games Consoles”