[Mk2] [Turbo] FPR

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike N

[Mk2] [Turbo] FPR

Post by Mike N »

From experience who can tell me which FRP is better

The rev 1/2 which is larger than......

The rev 3 slightly smaller version.

I have sard 800cc injectors in my bored out rev 1/2 rail.

or niether?

Fit a malpassi 1.7 rising rate type.

Thanks
Mike
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] FPR

Post by bobhatton »

Do not use any rising rate FPR, it has to be a 1:1 like the Sard one.

Hope you have got a programable ECU I hope too.

Bob
Last edited by bobhatton on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

bob, rising rate is what 1:1 means, it rises/falls with manifold pressure to ensure the presure at the injector tip is kept the same.

you're probably talking about the "FSE power boost valve" type regulators which are fit for fitting to your dustbin only
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

ATS do the matching uprated FPR for the bored out (standard) rail. And it costs next to nothing if you have an old FPR to give them (it's exchange basis)...

Pete Gidden (SBits) is the nearest distibutor IIRC.
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

bobhatton wrote:You have got a programable ECU I hope too.
And a Walbro... or any other pump.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Jim Galbally wrote:bob, rising rate is what 1:1 means, it rises/falls with manifold pressure to ensure the presure at the injector tip is kept the same.

you're probably talking about the "FSE power boost valve" type regulators which are fit for fitting to your dustbin only

No 1:1 is not a rising rate FPR

1:1.7 is a rising rate FPR and should not be used on a MR2.

Read this and you will understand better.

http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/Fuel%20Pres ... sories.pdf
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Mike N

stuff

Post by Mike N »

Link ecu

Walbro 255 (just fitted today)

I bored out the fuel rail myself then welded up the end. 800cc sard injectors.

I was going to fit a Cossie FPR as they are adjustable, but could'nt find one in my old pile of garage junk.

What do SBits / Sard do to modify a std FPR? The Rev3 rail is about 8 or 9mm bore yet the FPR is smaller than the Rev1 which is fitted to a 3 or 4mm Rail.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

bob, trust me, it a common misuse of the term "rising rate" you can ring bosch and ask them if you like :P

bear in mind lots of cars use static fuel pressure regulators where the fuel pressure is not modified based on manifold pressure
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You need to tell FSE they have their information all wrong then.

"Designed for use on ‘Electric Fuel Injection’ Engines with a special fuel enrichment facility for acceleration, commonly
known as a’Rising Fuel Rate’. The enrichment rate is 1.7 : 1."
greeny

Re: stuff

Post by greeny »

Mike N wrote:Link ecu

Walbro 255 (just fitted today)

I bored out the fuel rail myself then welded up the end. 800cc sard injectors.

I was going to fit a Cossie FPR as they are adjustable, but could'nt find one in my old pile of garage junk.

What do SBits / Sard do to modify a std FPR? The Rev3 rail is about 8 or 9mm bore yet the FPR is smaller than the Rev1 which is fitted to a 3 or 4mm Rail.

Afaik, you can crush the FPR in a vice, to give it more seat/spring pressure, this is what ATS do to modify them Afaik.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

bobhatton wrote:You need to tell FSE they have their information all wrong then.

"Designed for use on ‘Electric Fuel Injection’ Engines with a special fuel enrichment facility for acceleration, commonly
known as a’Rising Fuel Rate’. The enrichment rate is 1.7 : 1."

FSE have got more than just their information wrong, theyve built a product which is utter JUNK and should be shut down by trading standards!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I have been using some of there parts for over 40 years and never had any problems with any of them, far better than a lot of the jap parts that are being sold.
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

just one example i'll give you, their "power boost valve" for a cosworth

when tested completely fails to regulate fuel pressure on-boost giving varous results somewhere between "OMG it's about to melt" and "OMG its going to melt in SECONDS!"

they are substandard components, i woudlnt even consider putting one on a standard car let alone a modified one.

also they do not deliver pressure at a 1.17:1 rate! they actually deliver a 1:1 rate (well, they dont as they dont work but still....) they simply claim to react 17% faster than a standard regulator on some models of car!

again, snake oil, avoid
Mike N

FPR

Post by Mike N »

Well after everyone's finished arguing on my post LOL, I think I'll try each of my FRP's in turn and see what happens.

Thanks
Mike.

PS On the std Cossie FPR, remove sealed cap, then wind in allen bolt fully then back out 1.5 turns for max fuel pressure.
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

sorry going back to the original post, there should be no need to use anoything other thana 1:1 reg if youre on a mappable engine management system and youre using normal injectors, you just map the extra fuel in top end. the ones with different rates are normally only like this for people who do not have the ability to increase their injector duty cycle and so acheive more fuel via a higher fuel pressure. if you are able to stick to the reccomended fel pressure for the injectors then do so.

unfortunately i cant tell you which ones are any good as i have no practical experience but stick to proper brands such as walbro and bosch and you cant go far wrong. anything that looks like it's chromed or is described as "super power enhancer TURBO" should be avoided... lol
Mike N

FPR

Post by Mike N »

On my Link Plus V14 EMS we got the car running quite well in the end.
The fuel pressure being ECU controlled.

In the past, I've used Bosch adjustable items they worked really well, but in those days (earlt 90's) standalone ECU's were only for the very very rich, or just not really invented yet!

Mike.
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

ecu controlled fuel pressure? what reg is that? not a feature ive heard of on
Mike N

INJECTORS

Post by Mike N »

I should have said by reducing the injector duty cycle.

Most pumps switch off when a set pressure is reached. With the Walbro fitted it just keeps on pumping. That was one of the first things I noticed.

I dont know if anyone else has had this?
rameairo

Post by rameairo »

walbro, aeromotive 1000a, bosch 044 and stock will pump all the time as much as they can. some pumps just turns litlle quieter when the pump reach the operating pressure.

I think all injection operatin cars fuel pumps work that way

Return to “Modifications”