new tyres are horrible!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan wheeldon

new tyres are horrible!!

Post by alan wheeldon »

I decided to buy 2 new rear tyres for my 18" alloys (215/35/18) I have gone for a cheap budget set though (accellera) basically half the price of my normal Toyo T1R's. I went out for a spin yesterday to see what they were like and thats exactly what i did...... spin

There no where near as good, the car just doesnt feel balanced at speed, the slightest movement on the wheel and the back end just doesnt feel right, even when braking Is this just down to the tyre, its the only thing I have changed so it must be ??? After a while driving though it is starting to feel a little better, could this be down to them bedding in a little?? Ive just lost my confidence with the car a little now, I should have just paid the extra and got the tyres I know and trust but hey, if you dont try you dont know :-k
zombie_dave

Re: new tyres are horrible!!

Post by zombie_dave »

thats possibly because they are 215 wide. [-X

bear in mind that standards are 225 wide.

i had 205's on the rear of mine at one point and every time you put your foot down in 1st or 2nd gear the car would wiggle its hips even if travelling in a straight line!
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

I dont think thats got anything to do with it, Ive been running 215's all the time and never had a problem before with the Toyos, infact its always brilliant.

It is still actually wider than the standard 15" alloy as these are an 8" wide rim as appose to a 7" Anyway thats a different subject so lets leave it at that :wink:

It feels like a completely different car though now, same tire but just a different make, its a lot softer tyre.

Just seems a little strange as the handling characteristics shouldnt change that much :?
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Live and learn, I guess.

I'm sure there ARE half-decent cheap tyres around.
You've only got to try Maxxis bike tyres to realise that the Chinese can make decent hoops when they try.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Give it a few 100miles and they will bed in fella, but at the end of the day you get what you pay 4.

Next time smash some 225 on the rear and leave the front 215, it will feel loads better :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Lol, im using 245s on the rear and there continental SP's and i still light them up in a straight line :wink:

Personally tho, if you want an mr2 that handles and doesn't cost millions in tyres, then get smaller wheels! It is odd that the compound is softer yet the handling is worse, its usually a harder compound that causes traction issues.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

I didnt have a problem with the car before though which is what im now consrened about.

Same size tyre different make thats all, you live and learn I guess but im amazed how different it actually is :shock:
John145

Post by John145 »

OK...

You've got skinnier tyres than the standard = fail
You've got budget tyres on a MR car = fail
You're taking out brand new tyres and expecting them to grip = fail
You've got 18" wheels with 35 profile tyre and expecting some feedback = fail

The reason you spun was all them issues put together, but mostly the fact they're brand new. When they are made grease is put into the mold so they pop out, this takes a 100 miles or so to scrub off. Lesson is always go steady on new tyres. And buy decent tyres.

After all the small bits of black rubber are your only contact to the road, therefore the most important thing on the car. You'll maybe have a sheet of A4 papers worth of contact patch for the whole 4 wheels.
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

215 on the rear..... :shock: #-o #-o #-o

considering stock are 225 probably not the best idea. #-o
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Regardless of what tyre wheel combo you have, im not bothered about that as that is not the subject and like I said earlier I dont want to go into that. I know what works for me.

When I said I spun i meant the wheels were spinning more than they normally do, not that the car actually spun :wink:

I did think that they just need bedding in a bit but I have never had to bed in my previous Toyos before, they work great from the off.

Perhaps these budget tyres will get better with time but im not holding out
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You must never use cheap tyres on a MR2, they will never work and could have you off the road in no time.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

John145 wrote:
When they are made grease is put into the mold so they pop out, this takes a 100 miles or so to scrub off.

Or do what i did to the gf's mx5's new tyres when she wasn't looking.... a few quick doughnuts :wink: lol
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Two things - remember that new tyres have a releasing agent so will feel greasy for anything up to 1000 miles.

Second - what pressures did you/the garage put in? Worth looking into.

Cheers,
Jon
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Pressure wise i run at 32psi, this normaly works fine with this size tyre.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

when was the last time you had your tracking done? its quite possible that toyo's had enough grip to mask a problem, or that their composition could cope with the set up, but the new ones cant.
jwarren2k2

Post by jwarren2k2 »

Simple answer.... DON'T BUY CHEAP TYRES!!!!!! Why do people do this?

I imagine you, like the rest of us, probably spend your money making the car go faster? So why buy budget tyres.... the most important thing on your car?

When I got my rev3 turbo, it had a new set of 18" wheels on with brand new 'Fullrun' tyres on them. I had never heard of 'Fullrun' and after one drive in the car, I realised why I had never heard of them - it was crap.

First thing I did... replace the tyres for a reputable brand!!
Ok, it set me back a few quid, but my god, what a difference! Especially in the wet. I can go round a roundabout at normal, average fiesta speed without my ar$e cheeks clenching and my heart rate going through the roof due to the fear of the car spinning and ending up in a ditch... all because I have decent tyres!

Funnily enough, my 18s had 215s on the rear too... they now have 225s. I believe that the better tyres, along with the wider tread, both have played a part in the immeasurable improvement I've experienced.

Now,
1. I strongly suggest you sell your budget tyres on ebay... trust me, they will sell. Mine sold very quickly.
If you look for a price for the same tyres on ebay (brand and size etc) and just undercut those prices by about 10-15%, you'll sell them easily and get most of your money back.

2. Learn your lesson and don't buy budget again.

3. Go and buy some decent tyres.

Consider yourself told!!!

:twisted:
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

just so you know mate, T1Rs are budget tyres!

If youve got for something that cost half the price of even the T1Rs then im not surprised you are having issues.

buy cheap, buy twice

also as above it sounds like you have some very stupid wheels that are certainly not helping matters, you have modified you car to make it WORSE than standard :(
John145

Post by John145 »

Jim Galbally wrote:also as above it sounds like you have some very stupid wheels that are certainly not helping matters, you have modified you car to make it WORSE than standard :(

+1
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Im a little confused with these new tyres for the 18's. Remember I only replaced the rears with the same size tyres but I have lots of funny symptoms. :?

The steering wheel is now off centre to the left whilst driving in a straight line, why this has changed is beyond me as its the rear tyres that were changed and ive not touched the front of the car at all! :shock:

Also what I said earlier about the back end tending to wobble/drift around at speed, ive scrubbed the tyres in now and its still doing the same :(

I have now put a spare set of alloys on the back (left the front the same) and now all those problems have gone away!!

Ive never heard of this before and im a little bamboozled by it all :?

Can anyone explain that??
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Sounds like it's been through a big pothole that's knocked the geo out. Same thing happened to me in Jan. Front left ended up with way more camber and though the steering didn't vibrate the wheel was off centre whilst the car was on the straight-ahead. New geo to cure.
If your sure it's just the tyre difference then there it is... the difference in tyres, but give it at least 300 miles before making judgements. It's no good others giving opinions on tyres because the same tyre may well perform differently depending on the rest of the suspension and set up, thus varying car to car.

R.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”