Oil issues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

John145

Oil issues

Post by John145 »

:pale:

Cam cover is leaking first, its not a big job but annoying, is it just a matter of removing the inlet manifold, taking it off and getting a new gasket or is it a liquid gasket?

Also its apparently burning oil on full throttle, any ideas? Engine has only done 50k according to receipts!
John145

Re: Oil issues

Post by John145 »

Bump - any direction appreciated!
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

I did the cam cover gasket the other month and yeah it's like you describe but it's a rubber gasket, you also use silicon sealant. :)
John145

Post by John145 »

cheers mate will get it done asap
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

This diagram shows where to put the sealant although mine had sealant all around it so I put new sealant all around the rocker cover before putting it back on to make sure it didn't leak anywhere.

easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

As for your burning oil issues, it could be a few things but the most probable one is likely to be Turbo oil seals have gone.
John145

Post by John145 »

Its an NA, so most likely valve stem seals or head gasket, are either of these likely to go?
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Dont wanna hijack the thread but ive got a quick question. Ive got a little bit of oil appearing on the floor just to the right of the flexi on my exhaust (right hand side looking from the rear of the car) Very small and not always there.

Also i may be burning oil on full throttle. It can smell a bit oily sometimes after. Compression is good and consistent since ive been doing the test over the last few years and the guy before has receipts for valve seals, re seated e.t.c e.t.c

Any ideas guys and gals thanks :)
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

bump
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I think I'm right in thinking if the smoke from the exhaust appears blue then it's probably piston rings but if it's just normal grey smoke with higher revs then it's more likely to be valve stem seals. My old N/A burned loads of oil when driving it hard and it also had a slight bottom end knock from cold. It was doing this for about a year but it kept going as I kept a close eye on the oil levels.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

I thought valve seals was smoke on idle, smoke when starting up?
zombie_dave

Post by zombie_dave »

mr2turbo99 wrote:I thought valve seals was smoke on idle, smoke when starting up?

Correct!! :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”