Heavy Rain (PS3)

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ekona

Heavy Rain (PS3)

Post by Ekona »

Bought this today. I didn't play the demo, I didn't read any reviews in depth before playing, and I didn't read the back of the box so I had absolutely no idea what to expect.

This game is as close to perfection as I've ever played.

Maybe not in the graphics (some places look a little ropey, some look absolutely stunning), nor in the sound (levels are a little obtrusive and the plinky-plonky piano isn't great) but for the ease of control and the sheer joy of doing whatever you want, and with the amount of freedom given... Just wow. Okay, so I'm only a couple of hours in, but the story is still shrouded in mystery and yet clues are being drip-fed to the player to keep you guessing: There's a huge clue close to the start but I'm thinking it's a blind alley, or is it...

Every little control action to open doors, or pick something up, or brushing your damn teeth is so well thought out despite all the little controls being very generic Street Fighter style moves, but you never feel cheated or lost. The first time you play the FBI agent (don't worry, that's really not a spoiler at all) you wonder what the hell is going on when he puts his shades on, but then you follow the slight on-screen prompts and BANG, you realise just what you're supposed to be doing in an instant. No game has ever been so complex yet so simple in the design. It's like the obviousness of Tetris and the subtleties of hand of Super Monkey Ball all rolled into one.

I haven't been this excited by a game since HL2, and for me so far this is easily on a par with it. This is an absolute must-buy on the PS3, and I'd even say it's worth buying a Slim just for this. It really is that good.
H3RB

Re: Heavy Rain (PS3)

Post by H3RB »

i was quite looking forward to this as it reminded me somewhat of shenmue and damn that game was amazing!
but currently im selling both my ps3 and all my games :(
so now if i wanna play i have to used my gfs daughters so i barely get time to play unless its at night which is when i give mag a good bashing as its the only game im keeping lol
i no how it ends but i wont spoil it. let us know what you think when your abit further in as im still quite looking forward to getting it :thumleft:
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Got the demo and it does look very good.

what happened to"I only have a PS3 as a BD player" ? :D
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Read some reviews... I'm going out tomorrow to buy it :thumleft:

Rarely buy PS3 games these days as my last one was GT5 prologue :p
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

DannyN wrote:Got the demo and it does look very good.

:lol:

Tbh this game has also reminded me exactly why I hate the PS3 as a games machine, as before I could even play the damn thing I had to install the (thankfully included) OS update, then I had to download 226MB worth of update (30 mins on my connection), and then I had to sit through a mandatory install for a good 10 mins at least. Utterly stupid and so unnecessary: I can pop any game into the 360 and have it up and running in minutes, even if an update is needed it's only a 30 sec download rather than the crap that Sony force feed you.

I'm just glad this game is so incredible that it was worth sitting through it. That bloody origami is irritating though, took me all the install sequence and then some just to do it! ](*,)
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

ekona wrote:

Tbh this game has also reminded me exactly why I hate the PS3 as a games machine, as before I could even play the damn thing I had to install the (thankfully included) OS update, then I had to download 226MB worth of update (30 mins on my connection), and then I had to sit through a mandatory install for a good 10 mins at least. Utterly stupid and so unnecessary: I can pop any game into the 360 and have it up and running in minutes, even if an update is needed it's only a 30 sec download rather than the crap that Sony force feed you.

I'm just glad this game is so incredible that it was worth sitting through it. That bloody origami is irritating though, took me all the install sequence and then some just to do it! ](*,)

just hope your not planning on getting final fantasy XIII.... the 360 has an 18gig install :shock: fair enough its optional but if its that bad on 360 then whats it gonna be like on ps3 lol
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

cor blimey 18Gb is a bit excessive.
Thank god I never got into FF !!
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

H3RB wrote:
ekona wrote:

just hope your not planning on getting final fantasy XIII.... the 360 has an 18gig install :shock: fair enough its optional but if its that bad on 360 then whats it gonna be like on ps3 lol

And thank god it does. Otherwise you wouldnt of had anything to bring up lol.
Rev 3 GTS
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

SamUK wrote:
H3RB wrote:
ekona wrote:

And thank god it does. Otherwise you wouldnt of had anything to bring up lol.

eh? i was only saying that the 360 has a huge install for a game so if its going to be that big on the 360 then its going to be huge on the ps3, geez.... not every post i make is bashing your precious little 360...
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

I was merely pointing out (something youll deny) that in every PS3 thread where someone says something negative, you come up with an example for the 360.

PS3 goes offline for 36 hours, well the 360 did too once.

And then this.

I have a crap memory so can only remember the last 2 days and they both happened within that time.

Cant you take someone insulting your "precious" PS3?
Rev 3 GTS
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

SamUK wrote:I was merely pointing out (something youll deny) that in every PS3 thread where someone says something negative, you come up with an example for the 360.

PS3 goes offline for 36 hours, well the 360 did too once.

And then this.

I have a crap memory so can only remember the last 2 days and they both happened within that time.

Cant you take someone insulting your "precious" PS3?

you mean the precious ps3 that i sold this afternoon? lol
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

#-o

Theres a reason for that though im sure?

Or have you just decided to come to the dark side? On the lighter console lol.
Rev 3 GTS
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Any danger of keeping this thread roughly on topic now please chaps?
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

SamUK wrote:#-o

Theres a reason for that though im sure?

Or have you just decided to come to the dark side? On the lighter console lol.

to be fair there is, i have 3 well had 3 lol so i sold 2.
and on topic. i was down my mates tattoo shop today while i was there my other mate came in n told us how good it was althought he said it took him 6hours to finish it.... but obviously there are multiple endings (blade runner for the pc springs to mind lol)
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

There has to be at least 3 endings I suspect without delving into on-line solutions, as that's what the trophy for it suggests.

I'm already about 5 hours in and nowhere near the middle much less the end, I reckon your mate must've blitzed through it only doing the bare minimum which seems a tad pointless on a game like this.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

H3RB wrote:

Probably considerably smaller, as the Xbox's DVD drive has something like a quarter of the capacity (slightly less than that, actually) of the PS3's BD disks...
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

RichardK wrote:
H3RB wrote:

Probably considerably smaller, as the Xbox's DVD drive has something like a quarter of the capacity (slightly less than that, actually) of the PS3's BD disks...

true i suppose but usually the ps3 has a larger install the the 360 9 times out of 10 but as you say ffXIII is a huge game so an install on 360 makes more sense but how many disks must it be :shock:
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

H3RB wrote:
RichardK wrote:
H3RB wrote:

true i suppose but usually the ps3 has a larger install the the 360 9 times out of 10 but as you say ffXIII is a huge game so an install on 360 makes more sense but how many disks must it be :shock:

9 times out of 10? FF is the only game that needs an install?
Rev 3 GTS
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

ARGH GTFO OUT OF MY THREAD!!!11 :evil:

So yeah, Heavy Rain is awesome. Better than ME2 even, I reckon.
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

ME2 ??

Mass Effect 2 ?

Return to “Games Consoles”