possible sale????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

possible sale????

Post by loudandproud205 »

right am really unsure what direction to take at the min.

i have an mr2 rev1 turbo which i actually enjoy driving, even thou sometimes i dont think it suits my driving style, ive had it 6 months and ive found it to be more of what id call a straight line car as it is quick, proberly a little to quick for what i actually enjoy which is B road blasts and cadwell park, il admit ive not had the chance to give it full hell round cadwell yet just a few laps as a sighting car.

now cadwell is on my door step and i love it to bits but ive come to feel that the mr2 is more likly not gonna feel as at home here as it would some where like silverstone, donnington or rockingham which does upset me.

ive had a fair few cars in my time but 95% have been hot hatchs and some of the time i think that i should have bought a 172 clio as its proberly more suited to what i want my toy for as it is a toy nothing more as i have a laguna family car to use daily and carry kids about in.

now the mr2 does feel special and i do find myself looking round over my shoulder thinking (possibly kidding myself) that its a real sports car and it makes me smile, plus am 27 years old and deep down i proberly think am to old for the hot hatch generation as much as i love them.

but i just cant help myself and just keep thinking back wanting to be able to hit a B road in anger also knowing that the forgiving chassis of a fwd hot hatch wont try kill me if i hit the apex incorrectly.

it really dont help that when we had all the bad rain i managed to loose the backend and it aquaplaned in to a barrier, proberly wouldnt have been so bad if id been driving like a tit and i had actually deserved to crash but i was doing 45-55 down the a1 when it happened, i dont think this has helped my confidence levels with the mr2.

so since november when it happened till now ive done some mods and brought it back to fully road worthy plus a few tweeks to make it more enjoyable.

but because of the damage to the side i dont feel it to be worth a great deal, at one point the damage to side wasnt an isse as it was going to be a track focused car, but this is the bit ive just started to struggle with, if i keep going and spending money making it more track derived if i feel i cant exploit its full ability??

do i continue to make it what i think i want?
do i sell up?
do i just use it as is?

there is proberly a good £500+ id like to throw at the car to get it to a level for track id be happy with with new brakes and so one.

if i was to sell what would an approx value be for a rev1 turbo import?

bit of car spec to possibly help>
12th december 1989 rev1 turbo gt import in red, body damage to drivers side, wing door and 3/4 panel,
few mods>
16" enkei racing s 205/50/16s front 225/50/16s rear
hks bov
hks mushroom power filter
decat with new lambard sensor
5zeigen cat back
bomex front bumper (as oe one was damaged in accident)
boost raised to .8bar with manual boost adjuster
auto gauge boost gauge
clear front indicators
normal gt spec climate control a/c (dont know if that works or not as its not been weather to try it)
just been serviced with new oil and filter
trd plug leads with denso spark plugs
lowered but unsure what springs or dampers
full geometery set up at rasp motorsports

ive spent a fair ammount of time getting it to be on the road but i just dont have the feel i once had, yet when i get behind wheel of any of my friends cars its like putting on a pair of old shoes and it just feels right.

but then i get in the mr2 and well once am back on boost the effortless driving and mile muncing abilities it has i feel at ease.

last sunday it did 200 effortless miles didnt even feel like id been 200 odd miles, 60 miles in my friends 106 rallye i was all sweaty and achy but i was having whale of a time.

is it possible the mr2 is to refined for my palet?

help am confused :(
Tubby

Re: possible sale????

Post by Tubby »

[-X stick with it dude,put a little in,to get a lot out :thumleft: and enjoy the car,and ive been round cadwell a few times in an mr2,and the mr performed well there,granted not much run off track,but that makes it more interesting :eye: stick with it dude 8)
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

i know cadwell park well ive been driving round it around 10 years, its the fact that when i was there in my saxo i was having great fun but also so much quicker than the 3 other mr2's there.

oh and i think ive put it in wrong section doh, was meant to be in mk2 general talk, figures its just one of them days
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Moved from for sale to mk2
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

cheers for moving it :D

anymore?
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

I know exactly what you mean Lee. The Starlet was by far the best hot hatch I had. It was quick, very quick and since it was a FWD hot hatch you could rag the living crap out of it and the worst you would get is understeer.

Stick with the MR2 though, I find the drive more rewarding. It takes a bit more talent to drive the MR2 fast than it does with a small bhp hot hatch. Get some tuition and the intructor will help you adjust your driving style to suit.

The main reason I sold the Starlet and got the MR2 was that it was getting a bit effortless, and dare I say boring. Especially on track, which is where it spent most of its time. There wasn't a great degree of talent involved, just more timing. It hit home after I drove my brothers Evo IX round Knockhill. It was far more exciting to drive on the limit, although it does a lot of it for you, the tail would still kick out if you powered on too early out of a corner but you could carry a fair bit more speed into and through the corners providing you kept the throttle nice and balanced. It was great fun playing with Porsche 911s Turbos and GT3s, something that the Starlet or 106GTi would never, ever have come close to. Overall it was just a much more enjoyable drive and a lot more rewarding. I know the MR2 will be completely different to the Evo but I imagine it will be just as fun and rewarding. Don't quite think it will be up to GT3/911 Turbo pace though. I will find out on the 27th March as thats the MR2's first track outing, I hope \:D/
turbo Tom

Post by turbo Tom »

when i first got the tubby i spent the first week driving without boost just to get used to the way the car felt, i know where you are coming from when you say about the chuckability factor of the small french hatches but driving it was easy even if it was fun, and at least when giving it some in the 2 when it all goes right it just feels more rewarding even if it does take time to get it all together.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

yeah it feel real rewarding when i get it right but its at a cost of what speed, these are the sorts of speed where you just die if it goes wrong.

I shall see wha its like round cadwell, and ive ot driving training/adjustment lined up.

the mr2 does feel special every time i drive it, but fear of death puts me off giving 100% and on the road i bearly think i can use around 30% of cars full potential.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

loudandproud205 wrote:yeah it feel real rewarding when i get it right but its at a cost of what speed, these are the sorts of speed where you just die if it goes wrong.

I shall see wha its like round cadwell, and ive ot driving training/adjustment lined up.

the mr2 does feel special every time i drive it, but fear of death puts me off giving 100% and on the road i bearly think i can use around 30% of cars full potential.

Just stop driving like a loon then :lol:

When ever I go for a country road blast I do give the car a good rag but I am alway concious of circumstances if you overcook it. Keep the hardcore driving for on track, where it should be :thumleft:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

thats the thing thou as i said thats why i feel am only using around 30% of the car.

and on track where i could attempt to use 100% and the track i enjoy the most, am not sure i could still reach 100% as cadwell just isnt suited to larger powered cars.

sod it ive booked my first track outing at cadwell lets go find the love :mrgreen:

and hope it comes back in one bit!! :pray:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”