running an evo / scooby

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

mikey2

Re: running an evo / scooby

Post by mikey2 »

i drove my scooby down the same stretch that i drove my mr2, that was running 236, the scooby about the same. the mr2 feels quicker, however, the scooby's speedo tells me its quicker.
Being a P1 or 22b makes no real difference, they both run the same power, and as far as i know, run the same box ratios, so are about even.
A lot of scoobies are running similar if not more power, and are just as quick, if not quicker. My UK car was running more power, and was quicker, and you wouldnt know to look at it.
the transmission losses arent as high as you might think, i forget exactly what, but although more than an MR2, people think in the region of 80 bhp, which is not true, its not that high, and for the added grip its a fair trade off.
From memory, i think my car lost roughly 55-60 bhp through transmission.
MikeyGTS

Post by MikeyGTS »

Impreza's...

I personally like em. Never had one, but been in a few mates ones. I havent owned my tubby long, its got pretty simple mods, circa 280bhp.

Ive had a few run ins, including a 06 STI and a few old WRX jobbies. none have came close in a straight line??

Id maybe have an EVO over the Impreza if i were buying that kinda car, but to be honest, id rather have a well sorter Mister2!
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

mikey2 wrote:i think my car lost roughly 55-60 bhp through transmission.

Think of it as a percentage loss, ie more power your engine makes the more you loose as its more accurate. Its the 2 extra diffs that cause most of the extra 4wd drivetrain losses.

And in a straightline (equal weight) any 4wd is going to need around 7-10% more power at flywheel to match a 2wd that has similar launch capabilities, like the mr2.

Going from my personaly experience my mates evo made 240whp at a local dyno, that was calculated to 320 at fly. A turbo mr2 would make same whp probably around the 280-290 fwhp mark.

Return to “Driving Experiences”