Correctly fitting indicators

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2turbo99

Correctly fitting indicators

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Hi guys,

My indicators are all fitted....have been for a long while but every so often i find myself having to push them back in.

They seem to work there way out of the bumper which is very annoying. Has anyone sealed these in at all and whats the process in doing so?

Thanks
marc GT Turbo

Re: Correctly fitting indicators

Post by marc GT Turbo »

mr2turbo99 wrote:Hi guys,

My indicators are all fitted....have been for a long while but every so often i find myself having to push them back in.

They seem to work there way out of the bumper which is very annoying. Has anyone sealed these in at all and whats the process in doing so?

Thanks

i take it you mean the indicator is coming away from the bumper where the screw goes into the bumper on the reflector part ? its not the ball on the indicator coming apart from the plunger on the reflector ?
1993 GT TURBO
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

my understanding was that they just "snap" into position and stay there. i didnt realise they had a fixing mechanisim. I bought my indicators off ebay to replace the orange ones it came with. So perhaps theyre cheapy ones?
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

as long as you hear a click when you push them in they wont come undone . you sometimes have to give them a fair whack but they do click in :thumleft:
1993 GT TURBO
cosmos

Indicators

Post by cosmos »

The front indicator slips in through the front and is secured with a self tapper philips screw into the blue square plug insert (it can be cracked so replace) next insert the tail end of side reflector into the bumper then press home (grease stud end) in the middle next to the indicator. For removal i tape up a 12" steel rule to release reflector from stud end.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Took me some fidling to get them in too.

There is a clip on the back, I pulled it off the old ones and attached it to the new ones as they didn't have the same one.

Hand round the back and push them in while pushing the clip hole with your hand :thumleft:

Look like this when done :)
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

I reckon it's a good idea to have a play with the lights (both front and rear) before fitting them in the car.
That'll give you an idea of what you need to happen before you are actually fit them.

I seem to recall finding something (although I can't recall what) a bit odd about my front indicators and I had to adjust them a bit before fitting.
Can't recall what exactly but something needed filing or trimming before they'd clip together properly.

I'm reminded of this because I've just been mucking about with my rear lights and, upon removing them for examination, it's become apparent that one of the corner reflectors doesn't clip into place properly and that stops it seating securely.
I trimmed the edge of the slots very slightly and now it seats perfectly.
Last edited by Si_Crewe on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Some good info there guys. Will have a look this week. Thanks :thumleft:
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Cheers for all the help guys. Turns out my new ones didnt have the little self taper and stud on the back of the light so removed it from the old ones and stuck it on. Pushed it all back together "pop" and there sat nice and flush.

:thumleft:
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

result :thumleft:
1993 GT TURBO

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”