Warranty Help

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Flembo

Warranty Help

Post by Flembo »

My drivers side door has got seriously bad rust at the bottom of the door where the body panel joining appears and i have checked the drainage holes and they are clear. I have also noticed that the paintwork is starting to bubble on the door above the rust on the outside and i was wondering if this would be covered in my 12 year Corrosion perforation or would i need to buy a new door?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Warranty Help

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hard to say without knowing the history of the car, and I thought it was 7 years anyway?
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

It says 12 years' coverage regardless of mileage against perforation of the bodywork and 3 years for surface and rust.
My service record is fully up to date with my last service being a full 6 years service but the only thing is my last 2 services were not done by a Toyota dealer so will this affect my warranty?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Probably not, I've known engine replacements despite non-Toyota servicing.
Best thing to do is speak to a dealer - why has it corroded, has it had an accident? How long have you had it? Seems weird.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Not saying this is the case but whenever my wife opens the drivers door she just pushes it fully open, when parallel parked with the DS against the kerb it invariably scrapes on the grass/pavement if there is a slight slope.

This will obviously scratch the protection away and leave clean metal to fester and rust.

Hope this isn't the case with your door though.

Or do you mean it is the body itself on the sill below the door?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

I have had the car for 5 years and the car is a 03 plate.
The car has never been in any accident and i haven't scrapped the bottom of the door.
It is the bottom of the actual door were the metal panel join is that is corroded and it has only got worst due to the snowy weather we have recently had and this is when the bottom of the door is really wet.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

prob best to give the dealer you got it from a ring mate, if they say 12 year corrosion warranty then they will have to honour it :thumleft:
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

Got in contact with my Toyota dealer about the corrosion on my door and was told by the service manager,

"The manufacturer warranty for bodywork is 3 years. Unfortunately your fault would not be covered due to the age of your vehicle."

Is this correct even if i am covered with 12 year corrosion perforation or can i take this further?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Where is the 12 year thing mentioned? (I had a roadster from new but have no recollection of this at all, was only told 3 yrs!).
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

In my Toyota MR2 Roadster warranty booklet under section 3
Corrosion perforation it says
The warranty gives 12 years' coverage,regardless of mileage,against perforation of the bodywork due to corrosion that is attributable to faults in material or workmanship.
'Bodywork' is defined as any original Toyota sheet metal body panel,including such parts as the engine bonnet,doors,boot lid and floor panel,but excluding parts attached to the body,such as mouldings,bumpers and hinges.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

In that case I'd try contacting Toyota UK.
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

I have emailed the service manager back quoting what i just told you and i am waiting to see what his reply is going to be then i will contact Toyota UK if i am still not satisfied.
I will keep you updated.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Odd place to get rust - checking my '03 car doesn't have any significant rust apart from the odd stonechip that needs priming / touching up. my Old Mk2 also did well - it was only my Mk1 that needed attention in the usual places.

You got any pictures of the rust?

You may get some help from Toyota UK but if it hasn't completely rusted through then I can see them saying the perforation warranty doesn't apply here.

What colour is your '2 ? If it isn't a metallic paint, you could have a go at repairing the rust yourself.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

That's why I asked if it had any damage, the '03 I have is so clean. It seems a very specific place to rust, and odd on a car of that age.
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

dont bother emailing, you get nowhere, they need to physically see it. rust is 3 years but they need to see weither or not its more that just rust to give you the answer your looking for.
they will get their bodyshop to check it over, if its had any repair or accident then he WILL find it so just beware incase a previous owner has had a repair.

toyota uk will tell you to take it to you nearest dealer for inspection.
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

Thanks for the replys guys.
I will have to book it into my local dealer so they can have a look at it and see what they say.
I will try and get some photo's up on the screen for you guys to see the rust when i get a chance and my car is metallic silver.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I'd be tempted to T-cut that up and see what resulted!
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

Surely that would only get rid of the rust stains on the outside of the door but it is bubbling underneath the stain and i would still have the rust in the inside of my door.
Have i not got a case with my warranty with what you can see?
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

I work at a Toyota centre and the best thing for you to do is to drive your car down to the centre and let them look at it.

The Service Manager (who is often the Warranty Administrator depending on size of centre) may not know off the top of his/her head what your corrosion warranty entails as it isn't a commonly claimed-on part of the warranty so taking along details of your warranty will aid them in getting things spot on.

If the corrosion is at the corner of the door, however, it could be argued that it has been caused by the paint being breached by scuffing against a kerb/step.

Bear in mind that the service manager/warranty administrator will do everything they can to help you successfully claim against the warranty as it means turnover for the parts department and work for his workshop/paintshop.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”