[Mk2] [Turbo] Poorly Mr2....like PROPERLY poorly :-(

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RANDOMr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Poorly Mr2....like PROPERLY poorly :-(

Post by RANDOMr2 »

Hi People!

I have a mk2 '93 t-bar turbo. Just turned 80k! :-(

Anyways, I was drivin to work the other day and had just gotten on to the dual carriage-way a short distance from my work place. Was in 3rd, booted it up to about 6k, and shifted into 4th...and got nothing - engine was running and revving but there was no power from the engine....squeezing the pedal and got nothing. I shifted into 5th and the same....nothing, downshifted into 3rd, all power screams back, I put it into 4th and nothing, back into 3rd and it was struggling to rev. Speed was dropping now as I'm pretty much coasting down the dual carriage-way. I get on the industrial estate where I work and the car was hardly revving in 3rd. I had to keep a good boot down to keep the car from stalling so I limp into the work car park making a hell of racket, keeping the revs high as it's trying to stall, like its on one or two cylinders, turbo spooling up and basically sounding like a WW2 aircraft that's been shot up by jerry on it's last legs struggling back to base... :-(

A couple hours later I tried starting it. It wanted to start, it fired, it cranked but it just doesnt start, like no compression.

I'm going down the lines of headgasket as there's mayo in the oil cap :-(

Any ideas?
It's always been stupidly reliable and I guess my luck has run out. :pale:

peace,

krausey ]
Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done!
In the South West, then check out
South West Performance Car also.
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Poorly Mr2....like PROPERLY poorly :-(

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Mine was running fine in the morning, came back to it on the night and was running on only 3 pistons and ran like a bag of poo.

I was lucky as it turned out to be 1 of my injectors not getting the pulse so replaced the injector pack and worked fine.

Way to find out which cylinder aint working

Start up car

Then pull off a spark plug lead if engine still sounds the same then that piston/plug/injector/injector pack could be fubar'ed

If you pull off a plug lead and engine sounds worse or dies then the piston/lead is working.

Do this 2 all four, one at a time.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Check your inductions hoses to see if one has popped off or split.
RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

@ Alan, cheers for the reply dude.....car wont even start tho. I've checked to see if it's an ignition problem and there's spark so that's all good (unfortunately :-( )

@ Rogue. I'll check the induction hoses, but i'd have thought, with it being an afm it would still start if there was additional air, it would just run like poo.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Does sound like a massive boost leak, had this problem when a hks bov decided to let go on me, no power at all, luckily I had the stock recirc valve in the boot, swapped it over and it was fine :-k
RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

Ive had boost leaks before on previous cars, they never acted like this....I'll defo have a look tho if you guys reckon there could be a chance it's a boost leak.

cheers
j
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

RANDOMr2 wrote:Ive had boost leaks before on previous cars, they never acted like this....I'll defo have a look tho if you guys reckon there could be a chance it's a boost leak.

cheers
j

Worth checking, also check all plugs and leads and dizzy cap.
RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

Hi guys, just thought I'd let you know that it was a problem with too much air...not a boost leak though.

I thought I'd start at the beginning so took off the apexi filter, all good there, nothing wrong with it. So took off the AFM....and there it was...clear as day. The AFM was stuck open. It was an AFM id bought off a member on here as I thought I'd had an issue with the AFM previously. This one however was all caked in black crap inside and was preventing the sping on the door to close. It was stuck open halfway.

So happy its not HG and after 2 weeks of not drivin the mr2 (just not had time to look at the engine) and driving around in a mundane selection of barges, boats and tanks I put the old AFM I had in my shed on and Volia! Started, 1st time, idled B E A utifully, I let it warm up and took her out for a blast.... \:D/ I guess I had just gotten blase as to how quick these cars actually are! BUT JUST....WOW!! :twisted:

ONLY PROBLEM is I still have to sell her :-( ](*,)

Getting married takes its toll :eye:

As soon as I sign up to full membership again check the For Sale section.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

krausey :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”