Would a skid pan help?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great driving
No votes
Just having a laugh
50%
Stupid
50%
So idiotic I want to hit you with a big stick
No votes

Total votes: 2

Abbos

Would a skid pan help?

Post by Abbos »

Evening all,

First time that I thrashed my tubby properly today. Went down the M4 to Oxford. However as I was coming home and jumped back on the A34 I nearly lost the whole car. I was in forth still picking up speed to join the motorway and a huge gust of crosswind hit me and knocked me for ten!

Anyways, can anyone advise if visiting a skid pan would help to learn how to handle the ar$e a bit better or should I go on some sort of driving course?

Also, any know anywhere in Berkshire? :cyclops:
BLOODUK

Re: Would a skid pan help?

Post by BLOODUK »

A skin pan wont help i dont think atleast , just get used to drive the car
driving my tubby for what 2 and a half years now... when i was a new guy
i had a few scary moments. But a skid pan is not the same as real life
driving, cause you have other things to worry about not on a skid pan..

Road holes , Pavements , People , other cars , generally many other objects
to avoid
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Do a bit of go-karting, it'll teach you the art of opposite-lock better than anything! Ice-Karting is a laugh too, great for trying out your 'Scandinavian Flick' (no...not Color Climax [-X ) even if they do come and re-freeze it just when it's getting REALLY fun!

Otherwise, be aware the car will be more sensitive to crosswinds with the headlights up, don't hold the steering wheel in a 'deathgrip', and make sure all suspension componentry is in good order/aligned and tyre pressures are correct.

Other than that, only time in the car will teach you what you need.

HTH

PS they do ice karting at the leisure centre in Bracknell!
Adam_B

Post by Adam_B »

do an airfield trackday with a proffesional, best thing i ever did to improve my driving. Its the safest place to fid your cars limits.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Adam_B wrote:do an airfield trackday with a proffesional, best thing i ever did to improve my driving. Its the safest place to fid your cars limits.

I agree with that. Best option really.

Problem is with skidpan, is its not in your own car and normally the guys teaching you are ex-police/police instructors who will simply teach you bad habits that will get you into more trouble than before.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

skid pan will always help.
controlled environment for controlling the car.
will never recreate the road scenerio as you cannot, wherever it goe wrong is unique, camber, pot holes etc, but it can teach you control and calmness and would recommend it.
typ ein skid pan on google. there is a place near j15 or m25 which i assume is not far from you?
otherwise there are lots of places across the country that can help.
basically you can never have too much experience or variety.
to quote lauren "driver mods are the best you can have"
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Tiamat wrote:skid pan will always help.
controlled environment for controlling the car.
will never recreate the road scenerio as you cannot, wherever it goe wrong is unique, camber, pot holes etc, but it can teach you control and calmness and would recommend it.
typ ein skid pan on google. there is a place near j15 or m25 which i assume is not far from you?
otherwise there are lots of places across the country that can help.
basically you can never have too much experience or variety.
to quote lauren "driver mods are the best you can have"

as Lauren says though - it wont be in your own car so not much point, probably in a front engined front wheel drive car ie - about as far way as you can get from mr2 handling
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I agree wholly with Tiamat, driver upgrades are always the best mods.

I have a bit of an issue with some of the police techniques though, particularly so with wheel shuffling, which is exactly what you don't want to be doing if the car is in a slide.

Airfield day with instruction is by far the best way to develop your driving IMO and by far and away the best value too as you can be taught a bit, then go out put it into practice then get taught a bit more etc. plus its in your own car.
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

have a bit of an issue with some of the police techniques though, particularly so with wheel shuffling, which is exactly what you don't want to be doing if the car is in a slide.

They teach you to shuffle the wheel? Thats a bit stupid.. at least with your hands in a 10 to 2 position you can nearly fit full lock on without taking your hands off the wheel!

As for driver training goes I would recommend it to anyone who drives a MR2, unless they have a vast amount of experience in MR cars.

Otherwise make sure you have good, balanced tyres and always look where you want to be going irrelevant of where the car is pointing. If you look at the central reservation or the trees.. thats where you'll go.
Abbos

Post by Abbos »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been go karting loads but usually drive like an idiot rather than learn from the experience.

I think I might go for the track day option. Seems right as it will be in my own car and I can learn bits then practice then learn some more.

I will do a google but does anyone know of any decent ones near me? (M4, M25) area?

When booking, do I need to ask for anything in specific or just that I want to learning how to handle the car, in slides etc?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Dave Goodhand wrote:
They teach you to shuffle the wheel? Thats a bit stupid.. at least with your hands in a 10 to 2 position you can nearly fit full lock on without taking your hands off the wheel!

Yep exactly. This is very bad practice as you will know from your racing stuff. Not only do you not where the wheels are pointed if you are shuffling, but also it is impossible to do it smoothly and you can't react as fast.

should be quarter to three at all times. I never do anything else.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Abbos wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been go karting loads but usually drive like an idiot rather than learn from the experience.

I think I might go for the track day option. Seems right as it will be in my own car and I can learn bits then practice then learn some more.

I will do a google but does anyone know of any decent ones near me? (M4, M25) area?

When booking, do I need to ask for anything in specific or just that I want to learning how to handle the car, in slides etc?

All your answers here:

http://www.bookatrack.com/-ph

HTH
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

if you do go for a skid pan day, make sure its at a race school, with racing drivers, not one of the stupid police courses
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

Lauren wrote:
Dave Goodhand wrote:

Yep exactly. This is very bad practice as you will know from your racing stuff. Not only do you not where the wheels are pointed if you are shuffling, but also it is impossible to do it smoothly and you can't react as fast.

should be quarter to three at all times. I never do anything else.

Okay in a racer with a quick rack but considering 3.2 or even 3.7 turns lock to lock in a 2 rubber wrists may be required, believe me feeding the wheel works if you spend a long time practising!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waelwulfas wrote:
Okay in a racer with a quick rack but considering 3.2 or even 3.7 turns lock to lock in a 2 rubber wrists may be required, believe me feeding the wheel works if you spend a long time practising!

Waelfus, feeding teh wheel never, ever works. If you need more than half a turn opposite lock then the car is too sideways anyway.

Feeding the wheel is possibly the biggest cause of accidents. It cannot be done smoothly, you have no idea where teh wheels are pointing and should you get into a slide, you've pretty much had it.

Rubber wrists develop over time. ;)
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

Works for me :D , many a time, 17 years of police driving in conditions that would close a track. It takes time to learn until it becomes second nature, I'd agree that one day on a skid pan trying to change your driving style won't really work. For high speed road driving, rather than trackdays, you can't beat a police advanced driving course, but there's only one way to get on them......
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waelwulfas wrote:Works for me :D , many a time, 17 years of police driving in conditions that would close a track. It takes time to learn until it becomes second nature, I'd agree that one day on a skid pan trying to change your driving style won't really work. For high speed road driving, rather than trackdays, you can't beat a police advanced driving course, but there's only one way to get on them......

An instructer friend of mine is getting involved with training police instructors... he's been out with a few who agree that racing driver techniques are far more effective than police advanced driving techniques that date back to the 50s. Shuffling a wheel is but one example, we were also talking about the police technique of the whole system thing of entering a corner..

Obviously you know more than i do about police driving and vice versa with regard to race driving techniques...

I think the general consensus is becoming that due to the amount of accidents the police have, it really is about time they started to listen to techniques that not only allow them to go faster, but also are safer too.

The same techniques i use on the track translate very well to the road I find. This is especially true in situations where as you point out a track would be closed because these are techniques that allow you to control a car in a situation where you are in a skid for example.

I'm not trying to get your back up etc... but an interesting discussion would be erm interesting.. ;)
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

I'm not looking to argue after all I'm advocating a system folks can't buy into, whereas any trackwork to understand your car is always going to be of benefit.
Unfortunately accidents will occur with emergency vehicles whatever the driving technique due to the unique circumstances they are driven under, I've had many occasions, and a few accidents :( , in situations I would rather not have had to enter into. Driver training is a big issue, but not so much style but how often drivers are re-trained. In some forces now you get a basic short course and that's it, ten years later any technique gets rusty!
Interesting aside, try getting a comparitive insurance quote as a police officer and a racing driver; underwriters don't share the view of racing drivers being safer.
I can't complain on cornering techniques, the technique has to be different on the road to cater for those hazards you don't meet on the track, you can never discount the lack of other road users' ability to drive.
I've spent many a pleasant hour discussing what are two completely different approaches to driving with racers; we'll never agree but what the heck. A disciplined system of any style is better than the crap 'driving schools' teach. It took a lot of prangs at 17 for me to realise I knew nothing at all about car control, only how to pass a 45 minute exam, and sadly it happens every year to everyone else.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waelwulfas wrote:I'm not looking to argue after all I'm advocating a system folks can't buy into, whereas any trackwork to understand your car is always going to be of benefit.
Unfortunately accidents will occur with emergency vehicles whatever the driving technique due to the unique circumstances they are driven under, I've had many occasions, and a few accidents :( , in situations I would rather not have had to enter into. Driver training is a big issue, but not so much style but how often drivers are re-trained. In some forces now you get a basic short course and that's it, ten years later any technique gets rusty!
Interesting aside, try getting a comparitive insurance quote as a police officer and a racing driver; underwriters don't share the view of racing drivers being safer.
I can't complain on cornering techniques, the technique has to be different on the road to cater for those hazards you don't meet on the track, you can never discount the lack of other road users' ability to drive.
I've spent many a pleasant hour discussing what are two completely different approaches to driving with racers; we'll never agree but what the heck. A disciplined system of any style is better than the crap 'driving schools' teach. It took a lot of prangs at 17 for me to realise I knew nothing at all about car control, only how to pass a 45 minute exam, and sadly it happens every year to everyone else.

Good points well made! Yep i understand that we'll never agree and as you say, no surprise there (!). But totally with you on the poor aspects of the driving test. As any driving instructor will say, they'll only teach you what you need to know to get you through your test and therein lies the problem.

I definatley agree that any form of training, whether its police or track orientated is better than none, no question.

Insewerance companies are a law unto themselves though.. ;)
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

At the end of the day though its all down to personal preference. In the US the driving tests fail you if you feed the wheel for exactly the reasons Lauren describes.

Usually anything around quarter to three I find is ok, although I prefer holding the wheel a little higher up. You don't really need rubber wrists as one hand usually is only there to guide the wheel while the other pulls it round (I rarely use full lock on my car unless I'm parking, as if you're on full lock trying to control the car at speed you've lost control already!)

Return to “Driving Experiences”