Someone tried to steal my 2! Need some help with the repair...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

malcster

Someone tried to steal my 2! Need some help with the repair...

Post by malcster »

So, I was greeted this morning with an open car door, and a smashed up lower dash under the steering wheel.

Someone tried to get away with my 2 last night...

After the police have come and gone, I am left with bits of broken plastic and a knackered steering column.

So basically, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a how-to, or even list a 5 point guide on how to remove a steering column...?

Also, the key when in the ignition doesn't turn at all - could that be due to the steering column being kicked to break the steering lock? Or, does that sound like the barrel is knackered too?

Can I move my barrel to a new steering column, so I don't end up with different keys for evenything?
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
Quigonjay

Re: Someone tried to steal my 2! Need some help with the repair...

Post by Quigonjay »

malcster wrote:Can I move my barrel to a new steering column, so I don't end up with different keys for evenything?

yes you can, though if you can not turn the key it might prove difficult as you need to have the key in the correct position then you puch a pin to release the barrel
removal of the column is actually quite easy
remove steering wheel, disconnect all wires
then go in to the frunk and loosen where the column goes in to the steering rack
4 bolts under the dash holding the column in and bobs your uncle
cosmos

Theiving scumbags

Post by cosmos »

Sorry to hear this news column sounds fairly straightforward to remove, try rocking the steering wheel right then left to try and release the lock (plunger in slot type?) before removing wheel. If you have an airbag disconnect the battery and leave for 1/2 hour (allow for energy discharge) then remove airbag. Try Trevor at wwwtcbparts.co.uk he is very good and quick to help they are in Cornwall. Disable the car!!! battery removal etc they may return to finish so beware.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Thats not so good mate, does the car not have an alarm?
hoagy5

Post by hoagy5 »

Hi, I have a steering colmn, complete set of locks, 2 sets of keys and all the plastics that surround the colmn for sale too. I also have a window.

Let me know if you are interested, cheers, Rich
malcster

Post by malcster »

Martin F wrote:Thats not so good mate, does the car not have an alarm?

Nope, I have been meaning to buy a nice alarm for a while, and have just been doing little maintenance things instead.

Only had the car less than a year...

Also looking into alarms - anyone got any suggestions?
Had thought of one of these...

Viper 3002

Viper 211HV

Viper 1002

Hornet 742TU

Looks quite local, and under £200 fitted.

Thanks for the offers for bits etc guys. I'm going to try and get the steering clumn out today and have a look at it. Hopefully its not too involved.
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
simpson_eh

alrams

Post by simpson_eh »

i have a hornet pretty ok no false alarms and been on the car for 2 years just hasnt got shock sensing which you will find most car theives will rock the car first to check what type of alarm it has

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”