mk2 turbo - Gutted !!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RENOFOXX

mk2 turbo - Gutted !!!

Post by RENOFOXX »

Picked up my car today after having a new fuel injection solinoid fitted.
Took it out for a run, and found as soon as i floored the excelerator it cut out and the enginge management light came on! when i lifted my foot off it went off again and the engine came back to life.
Took it back to the garage and took the mechanic down the road he thinks its to do with the turbo overboosting??
Has anybody had the same problem? And if so what was it? And how much was it to fix? Thanks.
Marf

Re: mk2 turbo - Gutted !!!

Post by Marf »

Are you running a boost controller of any sort?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Check for error codes!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
RENOFOXX

Post by RENOFOXX »

No!just a Blitz turbo timer .
RENOFOXX

Post by RENOFOXX »

i have left it at the garage . could you give me a bit more detail on how the error codes would effect the boost please.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The ECU has a self diagnostic function - it has sensors attached to loads of things and when something goes wrong it pulls all the power away (including boost, it leaves you on actuator pressure) and turns the engine warning light on. It stores a 2 digit code to indicate the error it sensed, which you can retrieve with a paperclip.

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~gtfour/techn ... iagnostics
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Sounds like you hit fuel cut. Perhaps your actuator is broken or the wastegate is stuck preventing it from limiting the boost.

You definatly dont have any sort of boost controller fitted?
mark239

Post by mark239 »

RENOFOXX wrote:Picked up my car today after having a new fuel injection solinoid fitted.
Took it out for a run, and found as soon as i floored the excelerator it cut out and the enginge management light came on! when i lifted my foot off it went off again and the engine came back to life.
Took it back to the garage and took the mechanic down the road he thinks its to do with the turbo overboosting??
Has anybody had the same problem? And if so what was it? And how much was it to fix? Thanks.

Do you mean a new fuel injector?
Marf

Post by Marf »

RobCrezz wrote:Sounds like you hit fuel cut. Perhaps your actuator is broken or the wastegate is stuck preventing it from limiting the boost.

That would be my guess, perhaps the garage mistakenly dislodged a vac hose connected to the actuator :-k
RENOFOXX

Post by RENOFOXX »

I'm sure i havn't got a boost controller !! i'm new to turbo's had a n/a before so on a learning curve.
Having said that my partner has just said she thought there was some type of controller on top of the timer in the cab,i can't check at present
because i left it in the garage for them to look at tomorrow.
As for the fuel injector question i'm not sure, all i know is they had to order from toyota who had to order it from outside the uk and it cost £114 if that helps.
If the acuator is broken can they get them off the shelf ? and how much is it likley to cost?or if the wastegate is sticking how easy is it to rectify,please.
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Sounds like a dead knock sensor.
RENOFOXX

Post by RENOFOXX »

When i purchased the car 2 months ago there was a lot of history supplied
with the car and i have a lot of bills from previous owners ,there is one for a knock sensor back in 2003 is it likley to need another??
also another bill for £60 to rectify a boost problem in 2002 didnt say what it was though.
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Only takes one knock to kill the knock sensor and that is done by over boosting.
RENOFOXX

Post by RENOFOXX »

Should find out sometime today what it is so i'll post the outcome later !
Thanks to all for your replys though,keeps you positive though the dark times of not having your car.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Olly.Dent wrote:Only takes one knock to kill the knock sensor and that is done by over boosting.

good info i never new this, would you recommend changing it if the engine had snapped a ringland or after a rebuild etc?
Marf

Post by Marf »

GTS GAV wrote:
Olly.Dent wrote:Only takes one knock to kill the knock sensor and that is done by over boosting.

good info i never new this, would you recommend changing it if the engine had snapped a ringland or after a rebuild etc?

I find that somewhat hard to believe, surely if the knock sensor died every time a knock event happened, there'd be no point in even having one? :-k
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

i was also thinking the same, say if you dropped a spanner from a hight on your engine for what ever reason while the engine was running would it have to be changed??
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Olly's right, the knock sensors rarely survive a knock serious enough for the sensor to register it.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Odd.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

very :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”