New to MR2

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Darth

New to MR2

Post by Darth »

Hello,

Just bought my first ever MR2! Wasn't planned - was just on the lookout for something cheap after selling our last car and it turned up on ebay (inititial plan was something cheap to insure/tax/run with low miles but you know how it goes! :mrgreen: ). Was up for a £750 but didnt sell so after a good look around made him an offer of £680 and that was that really :)

Its a Light blue,MK2, rev 1 (?) n/a, UK car. Has just turned 150k on the clock which put me off a bit but given the price decided to take a gamble! From a good initial inspection it seems to be carrying the miles well. Havent had a chance to look at it in daylight yet but so far looks like just a few odds and sods need doing immediately:
Indicator bulb;
Temp guage only just rises off the bottom of the scale( no idea why but will be flushing/changing the coolant asap anyway so can investigate at the same time);
Needs new wheels as they are all very tatty and apparently one lets air out;
Tracking needs looking at as steering wheel is off centre.
Full service as history is sparse.

After that just needs a bit of tlc to hopefully get her back to somewhere near her former glory and keep her on the road for few more years anyway.

Will no doubt have a load questions in the near future but thats about it for now. I'm in Aberdeen too in case you were interested!

Pics to follow soon :)
Darth

Re: New to MR2

Post by Darth »

First Q - will these wheels fit with no rubbing/modifications?

Size: 17x7.5
Fitment: 5x100/114.3
Offset: 45mm

I understand the std set up is et 45, 6j on the front and a 7j on the back? Does losing the stagger upset the handling in anyway?
sketch

Post by sketch »

Darth wrote:

Tracking needs looking at as steering wheel is off centre.

This may not be the tracking, it could just be that the last owner removed the steering wheel for something and didn't line it up very well when they put it back on. Does it have an aftermarket wheel ? :-k

Not sure on the coolant issue, how long have you run it for ?

Cassi.

PS we need pics..it's the law :thumleft:
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

Hi welcome to IMOC 8)

Nice little car to stumble upon, if you have mechanical questions etc best to stick them in the MK2 section as people will be primed to answer them for you in there :thumleft:

Looking forward to seeing some pics :mrgreen:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Welcome :thumleft:

The coolant issue sounds like it's got an airlock somewhere. The coolant system is a bit complicated on the MR2 due to the radiator and heater matrix having no gravity-fed route back to the radiator cap to self-bleed, so there's a funny procedure to go through to get all the air out, which you'll need to follow if you drain the coolant.

Here's a few useful sites for you:
http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... stem/3.htm

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/serv ... flush1.htm (ignore all the stuff about NPG, it's the steps laid out in the photos that are useful)

And yes, try and keep stock wheel rolling radius / stagger where possible. Putting big alloys on that don't fit right WILL affect the handling and your enjoyment of the car.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Cheers for the links! Had found a few relevant guides but those are both more helpful :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Pics pls :D
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Am at work today! Gimme a chance!!! :mrgreen:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

That's a fair excuse I suppose.

When you get a chance, fill out your profile a bit more (location etc) as this helps when trying to direct you to local experts etc.
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome to IMOC, looking forward to the pics mate :D
Darth

Post by Darth »

Well just had my first look in daylight. Not too shabby at all! :)
Had a quick look at the coolant system. Had to top it up a bit (0.5L approx.) Only had time to access the heater hose bleed valve but got a bit of air out of there. Will hopefully manage a full drain/ refill/ bleed tonight if my mate and I manage to get the alternator back on his RS6 in a reasonable amount of time.

One thing - how are you meant to check the level on the expansion tank? Are x ray vision eyeballs on flexible stalks a toyota special tool???
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've never worked that out myself. I even took the expansion tank out once... it's got Min and Max marks on it!

You can almost see it all if you start unbolting things.
craig

Post by craig »

Darth wrote:Well just had my first look in daylight. Not too shabby at all! :)
Had a quick look at the coolant system. Had to top it up a bit (0.5L approx.) Only had time to access the heater hose bleed valve but got a bit of air out of there. Will hopefully manage a full drain/ refill/ bleed tonight if my mate and I manage to get the alternator back on his RS6 in a reasonable amount of time.

One thing - how are you meant to check the level on the expansion tank? Are x ray vision eyeballs on flexible stalks a toyota special tool???

On mine, I just fill up through the rad cap till I can see coolant in the neck. Lol @ expansion tank min and max marks :lol: You must have to be tiny and climb into the engine bay to see them! :mrgreen:
Darth

Post by Darth »

Bloody Audi never made it off the pit because someone forgot to buy oil for it! Ah well, that'll be another Friday night spent under a car then! Also realised that i dont have a locking wheel nut key so more fun in store getting those buggers off too :roll:

Still no pics :mrgreen:
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

:ttiwwp:
1993 GT TURBO
Darth

Post by Darth »

marc GT Turbo wrote::ttiwwp:

OK! OK! OK!!! :mrgreen:

Was gonna give her a wash first but will no doubt be dark again by the time i finish.

Couldn't resist getting my other toy in too! Right, am off to get the cleaning products out now...
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Looks like even more of a bargain now you've posted those!

What's going on on the doors though, near the hinge? :?
Darth

Post by Darth »

its just some gay faded trd badges - they will be coming off asap!
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Welcome to IMOC..... :thumleft: Looks like a bargain....hows it running ?

Mike
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Darth

Post by Darth »

After a quick hose down...

She scrubs up not bad for an old girl! Wll look better with some new shoes on. Found a few more areas that need a bit of attention but on the whole still very happy.

She runs quite nicely but as i said before the cooling system needs a bit of an overhaul (temp guage barely on the scale, light steaming after a while in traffic) but shouldn't be too much drama i hope. Handling/steering feels a little bit vague/wobbly in some circumstances but think i am gonna polybush it all round and swap out any other bits and pieces that look like they need changing underneath.

Must say that it is just nice to have a car that i am actually interested in again :D Had a Freelander (my fiancee loved it and didnt want to sell it!) for the past year and i just couldnt have cared less about it - was just something to get to tesco and back in.

Return to “Member Profiles”