[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost Gauges. Paying for the name?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam86
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost Gauges. Paying for the name?

Post by Adam86 »

For example looking at apexi gauges they are £90+ new. My question is why? Would the gauge below get the job done and give an accurate reading? If so l know what im buying lol. Cheers :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Autogauge-52m ... 4838cb75a0
Adam86
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Boost Gauges. Paying for the name?

Post by Adam86 »

Thanks for the link just found a gauge l like :D

Just need to be sure it will work with a MBC before l order?

http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_p ... 1df6ad6792
mark239

Post by mark239 »

There's no reason it wont, all that does is read the vac and positive pressure in whatever line you tee it into.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Very good cheers mate all very new to this turbo stuff :thumleft:
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I've used Autogauge gauges and split fire ones, and now pro-sport. All "budget" makes and all given the same reading. Same reading as my Pectel ECU and Magnetti Marelli Map sensors see so don't think a name makes a difference. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

yes there is a massive difference in boost gauges when it comes to accuracy. those cheap ebay xxxx ones i would never rely on, just something pretty that goes up and down.

there are ofcourse some decent gauges in the 50ish quid category that are fairly reliable and good value, 2 i can think of off of the top of my head are RACETEK and NOMAD.
anyway if you think a 90quid gauge is pricey, wait till you start looking at a set of DEFI gauges!!!!
Nick86

Post by Nick86 »

defi = 8) 8)
Astir4ever

Post by Astir4ever »

There's a big difference! I compared my Greddy gauges with some cheap gauges from ebay, and the Greddys are much more faster!
But now I would go for Defi, they 've got the informeter ;)
Davezilla

Post by Davezilla »

I'm not at all convinced your getting your extra 70quid worth buying a 100pound boost gauge. I can't see how a mechanical boost gauge can go wrong, unless it goes a tooth out, which is still unlikely provided your not running more boost than it can read. It's like buying rolex instead of a 5quid argos digital watch imo, your probably buying it as a status thing more than anything
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I got r-spec peak/warn series guages ... £60 , 60mm, accurate as yer chuffer, lights up red at night if you want it to and has a natty little start up sequence.
It very occasionally gets confused at startup and needs ign off to re start the sequence again...and the warning bleeper will deafen the people in the car behind you as well...but all in all a pukka bargain basement bit of kit.
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

dave, wrong i'm afraid.

the way these things measure pressure varies massively and the cheap ones use cheap and inaccurate methods.

it depends on if you need a gauge to look pretty or to measure accurately!
Davezilla

Post by Davezilla »

Jim Galbally wrote:the cheap ones use cheap and inaccurate methods.

err like what ? Cheap isn't always inaccurate lol
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I would say that all but the top shelf defi's etc are indicators not refference devices ...designed to warn you off impending disaster and look trick...but that said my ar$e peck boost guage says pretty much what my avcr says...be aware of boost creep and take into acount response time when setting your warning bleep.

I have a friend who is breaking his rev3 in a month or so, he has the full array of defi's inc the box and heads up display...looks the nuts, all recordable with play back etc...PM me for more details if your interested, they will be up for sale on here but sell like hot cakes I should imagine.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Astir4ever wrote:There's a big difference! I compared my Greddy gauges with some cheap gauges from ebay, and the Greddys are much more faster!

Yup, I found that Greddy electronic stepper motor gauges are far quicker to respond to changes than mechanical gauges. Also the quality is far and away better than your £40 eBay cheapies. The reading on my old Greddy boost guage tallied with the ECU exactly. Ditto the water temp gauge on my Defi DIN gauge.
CritCare

Post by CritCare »

This looks good!

APEXI 60mm Gauge £36

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en

Return to “Modifications”