[Mk2] [Turbo] Has my turbo blown ?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

[Mk2] [Turbo] Has my turbo blown ?

Post by BLZ-8027 »

My cars not boosting properly ,
whats the symptoms of a blown or going turbo ?
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Has my turbo blown ?

Post by Quigonjay »

if the turbo seals had gone you would know about it - lots of smoke
if the compressor side had gone you would know about it - it would be in your engine
if the hot side had gone you would maybe not know about as the wheel may have broken off and be sat in your exhaust
what makes you think t is the turbo?
boost problems are usually always electrical/sensor related
hth
Jay
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Quigonjay wrote:if the turbo seals had gone you would know about it - lots of smoke
if the compressor side had gone you would know about it - it would be in your engine
if the hot side had gone you would maybe not know about as the wheel may have broken off and be sat in your exhaust
what makes you think t is the turbo?
boost problems are usually always electrical/sensor related
hth
Jay

I dont know enough about them, so i assumed being as its not boosting properly it might be the turbo itself ,it doesnt look too heathly from underneath as its got oil dripping from it or on it ?

All connections are good so its not leaking (as far as i can tell)
Rogue had it in a while back and said it could be the wastgate sticking ,i have read that sometimes fitting an aftermarket downpipe can obstruct the wastegate ,but to be honest with the signs of oil leaking i thought i might as well replace the whole thing ,so havent bothered looking at the wastegate ,and i use the car daily so havent had time to look at it either

However recently the boost has got better ,it does boost eventually it doesnt sem to be instant ,if you know what i mean ? so i was curious again as to what it might be ,being as ive got time off at xmas ,i might be able to sort it out ,but dont want to change the turbo if its not that
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

If you put the engine catch can through a filter and get another one for the second pipe all that oil will stop going through the intake.
First thing i would do is check the ecu for error codes as it could be detecting a sensor fault and retarding the timing.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

marty1 wrote:If you put the engine catch can through a filter and get another one for the second pipe all that oil will stop going through the intake.
First thing i would do is check the ecu for error codes as it could be detecting a sensor fault and retarding the timing.

Ive since fitted a catch-can ,and there's no error codes showing ,timing has been checked and its spot on ?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

BLZ-8027 wrote:
marty1 wrote:If you put the engine catch can through a filter and get another one for the second pipe all that oil will stop going through the intake.

Ive since fitted a catch-can ,and there's no error codes showing ,timing has been checked and its spot on ?

Do you have a boost gauge fitted ?
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

marty1 wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:

yes an omori
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

BLZ-8027 wrote:
marty1 wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:

yes an omori

So what pressure is it reading at say 3000 revs, 5000 revs etc.

Have you tried resetting the ecu, just in case...

Also when i copied the photo and zoomed in it almost looks like the turbo casing is worn, now this could just be an illusion as the blades look fine, if you make sure the car is cold then try wiggling the compressor side to side then in and out, still thinking the problem lies somewhere else Tbh :-k
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

marty1 wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:
marty1 wrote:

yes an omori

So what pressure is it reading at say 3000 revs, 5000 revs etc.

Have you tried resetting the ecu, just in case...

Also when i copied the photo and zoomed in it almost looks like the turbo casing is worn, now this could just be an illusion as the blades look fine, if you make sure the car is cold then try wiggling the compressor side to side then in and out, still thinking the problem lies somewhere else Tbh :-k

Ill check the boost gauge again today when i go to work
it only goes up to 0.4 then slowly drops off (i geuss this is in bar?)

Ive wiggled the impeller and doesnt seem to be any noticable play although there is a litle ,but then again ive not trried a good one ?

Wheres the oil on the outside of the turbo come from ?
Raf

Post by Raf »

that oil looks to be leaking onto turbo.

if it boost okay at times then most likely your turbo is fine. can probably discount collapsed cats & exhaust side too. if there is no boost leak you need to look at fuelling next & wastegate etc.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I think you should check your actuator. If this is weak then it will open easy causing you to make low boost.

Return to “Mechanical”