[Mk2] [NA] How to change rocker cover gasket?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

milan

[Mk2] [NA] How to change rocker cover gasket?

Post by milan »

Hi I had an oil leak which killed my alternator which I have now changed but as I do not want it to happen again I am going to change my rocker cover gasket. I have just ordered the gasket and bolts from ebay.

I was wondering if there was a write-up/guide on how to change the gasket as there seems like there are a few things in the way when removing the rocker cover, so not sure how straightforward this will be.

Its a 1992 Rev2 import if that makes much difference.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Milan
Canopus

Re: [Mk2] [NA] How to change rocker cover gasket?

Post by Canopus »

Not a reply as such but I would also be very interested in a write up of how to do this as I get oil in the plug holes so the gasket probably needs attention.

I can tighten up the screws on the exhaust side but can't see or find any others as they seem inaccessible beneath the inlet manifold etc.

Note this NA not turbo as there appears to be much more to dismantle on the NA.

Good luck

Geoff
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I've replaced the gasket on my Celica a few times now and it still leaks. #-o I've discovered from the Celica forum that new washers and locktite for the bolts are imperative for a good seal, as well as getting the surfaces clean and sealant in the right place.

The top half of the inlet manifold needs to come off for access to the rear cover bolts and the throttle body as well due to having a coolant loop in it. The loom over the injectors also needs to lifted out of the way for putting the cover back on.

I'll try and do a writeup for the KB when I do the Celica again. 8-[
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Any guides for doing this online? :)

Return to “Mechanical”