MK1 - Strutbrace

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

MK1 - Strutbrace

Post by Tiamat »

Decided to fit a strut brace.
Any thoughts on where to get one from?
Also anything I need to know about fitting it?
All help appreciated.
T
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: MK1 - Strutbrace

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Front or rear? Front ones can be pilfered off T-tops, but rears are rare!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

front, didn't know you could get for rear.
can you not get after market ones?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Haven't seen any aftermarket rear strutbraces for a long time, Paul Woods made a few and Sarge (High & Tight) in the US made quite a number, wish I'd bought one of Sarge's they were a work of art!

Aftermarket fronts aren't really worth it if you can get the T-top ones unless you're after the look of a shiney red strut brace. Bonus of using the T-top brace is that it's unlikely that it'll be recognised as a modification.

Chris
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

cheers mate, will be off to do some pilfering soon by the sounds of it!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Pft to the standard t-bar ones. Plus you'd be spending £40 or so on ebay just to get one! If you like a bit of metallic blue colouring and proper adjustability I've got a lurvely spare Cusco one sitting here brand new I'd take an offer on :D
T
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

toni - what do you call an offer?
would be interestd, still aware of need to let you know about interior, apologies for long delay but have had attention elsewhere as mum been in hospital again.
hoping to sort out things this weekend.
still got wine on the side for you, will bring to JAE.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

why bother? i have had one fitted in a sunroof model.the only thing it did was add weight and prevent the sunroof being stowed properly. if you are doing loads of track stuff or have big power they may be useful.leave them where they belong in the t-bar,even there i dont think they make much difference. forgot to add if you really must have one then Pm me i may be able to help.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Made a huge difference on my old coupe Kev, but it did have a bit of a bent chassis so don't know what the effects might be on a solid car.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

You're right about the sunroof. My new '2 has a brace fitted and I got all confused on holiday last week when I tried to put the roof away for the first time and couldn't work out why it wouldn't fit (having done it plenty of times in the old car i wasn't expecting any difficulty :p).

I'm thinking of taking it off now.
System-G

Post by System-G »

A few months ago I spotted a T-bar model being broken nearby and saw in the photo it still had the strutbrace. I offered the bloke a fiver for it and he accepted 8)

I can't say whether it's made a massive improvement to the car's handling or not. All I do know is that it exagerated the knocking of the drop links :roll:

I have seen strutbraces made for the MKI that still allows the roof to be stored in the wheelwell, but can't find the photos ATM :whistle:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Up to you mate, personally have adjustable strut braces front and rear and find it massively helps cancel out the MK1s tendancy to understeer and the car feels more solid in corners - but then again only really noticed on pushing it hard.
T
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

How much for a rear brace then for a (maybe one day I'll have it) Mk1 Na converted to sc?
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

i sold my strut brace not long back which would allow you to put the sunroof away under the bonnet still. Think it went for about £70-£80 as I couldnt be bothered with it as i had a straght one from a t bar that looked more up to the job of stopping flex, also rarely took the sunroof off so deemed it a non worth while mod !
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Hmm must be a southern softy going too slow. i never really thought it made a difference. might on the track but not convinced on the road.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”