What battery for MR2 Turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rahzel

What battery for MR2 Turbo

Post by Rahzel »

Alright guys,

Got a feeling my battery is on its way out. Suppose the cold weather shows up a weak battery. Knew it wasn't right this morning and this afternoon there was just enought to get it started.

What battery do i need to get to replace my old one. Ideally from a motor factors or halfords.

Cheers
Munnsy

Re: What battery for MR2 Turbo

Post by Munnsy »

i bought mine from halfords, 80 quid i think i paid, and thuink its 5yr warranty :-k
Have a shop around though bud but as with most things, you get what you pay for :thumleft:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

battery is massive on my mr2 turbo, can i run a light weight battery with out compensating cold start ups?

i want to run a race battery to save weight but il screwed if am scaraficing start up on cold mornings for it
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

to be honest ate what your saving in your battery weight will be made up somewhere else, just get a good quality heavy duty battery an you will be fine fro the next few years if not more.
Dont waste your ime or money on racing batteries etc bud
just my advice :thumleft:
cosmos

battery

Post by cosmos »

Get or borrow a Halfords discount card. Your choice is their own brand calcium technology with 4yr guarantee, this has two flimsy lifting handles, is taller, and heavier, the plus side is its cheaper (no green eye). £80ish discounted to £60ish.
On the other hand Halfords now stock Bosch batteries, basic type is black top S3005, next is the standard Bosch Silver, calcium, blue top, S4005 (normal for mr2) 4yr guarantee 60Amp hour 540 cold cranking amps, next is the Bosch Silver Plus, calcium, silver top, S5005 (heavy duty for mr2) 5yr guarantee 63Amp hour 610 cold cranking amps, this was £109 discounted to £87 code no is HSB 013, advantages are it is less height 190mm (packing 20mm under clamp) lighter, more power, and a solid single handle for that lean over and lift with one hand.
S3, S4, S5, the 005 is the battery type for mr2.
planted1

Post by planted1 »

go to your local breakers yard,
with the current scrappage scheme were awash with nearly new batteries
we charge £10,after its charged and tested to hold charge.
(cant send em by post though)
the one i have on at the moment is a 740 amp starting bull,
which has the date on and is only 6 months old.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Got mine (non-turbo) from Toyota, around £55 - £60 :thumleft:
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

you had me worried for a minute mate :roll:
thought you were going to deepfry your mr2 :lol:
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

Hahahaha paul you joker :mrgreen:

only just realised i put batter instead of battery :oldtongue:

Well i started the car yesterday thinking it would be dead and it started like a champ! I wonder if i left the door open and the courtesy light was left on causing it to drain.

Im gonna try it again today and see how it starts.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

+1 for the more expensive Halfords own-brand one. It's a bunch more CCA than the standard and it stands up to a good battering. When my alternator blew up and took out the battery I got a no-questions-asked replacement with the 5 year warranty.

IIRC MR2 batteries have the +ve and -ve terminals the other way round to quite a few cars, and the battery cables have little slack on them so you can't just put any old battery in and turn it around as then the terminals are too far forward. Tried that :(
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”