[Mk2] [NA] Will rev 3 n/a cams fit straight into rev 1 head?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jason_pmr2

[Mk2] [NA] Will rev 3 n/a cams fit straight into rev 1 head?

Post by jason_pmr2 »

Will rev 3 cams fit straight in rev 1 head?

Im rebuilding my head (reseating valves, a slight skim, and check valve clearance) to refresh my rev 1 , researched a bit and read that the rev 3 n/a cams are more aggressive. Now if i just replace the cams with the rev 3 ones - will it make an improvement, or will i require more mods to see anything noticeable?

thanks
JJ

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Will rev 3 n/a cams fit straight into rev 1 head?

Post by JJ »

This is a toughey as I've never done it... it reality, you'd need the rev 3 cam gears to go with it or adjustable ones to carry out adjustments to yield more power / setup correctly.

The duration maybe the same with a greater lift on the NA cam, but the phase angle maybe different .. ie. On the rev 1/2 turbos.. the exhaust cams are the same in duration and lift as the rev 3 turbos.. but the lift begins 6 degrees later due to the cam gears... hence the above recommendation.

Personally.. for the hassle in reshimming it all and little benefits.. I wouldn't bother doing it. You'd get more from fitting adjustable cam gears and working with the cam timing.

:thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

i cant say about stock but i know there's been plenty of issue with aftermarket camshafts that are meant to fit all rev heads fouling on rev 1 & 2s
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

O/T but I'm waiting on a reply to a PM I sent you jason_pmr2 :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”