Induction Kit vs Replacment Panel Filter???

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danthrax

Induction Kit vs Replacment Panel Filter???

Post by Danthrax »

I having an argument with someone on cruise-evo.co.uk saying a replacement K&N panel filter with give me better performance on my mk1b that putting on a K&N 57i kit, although I thought the induction kit should give me better performance.

So I thought i'd ask on here for your opinions?
Jim-SR

Re: Induction Kit vs Replacment Panel Filter???

Post by Jim-SR »

id go with the panel filter, but neither is going to gain you anything. nothing noticeable at least. just run a standard paper filter unless youre making substantially more power than stock. the stock filtration system is more than upto the task
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

57i kit will give better performance in my opinion. The argument is how much cold air the filter will get. I think the standard air intake isnt great as it draws air from the drivers side all the way around to the other side.

Theres plenty of cold air flowing through the engine bay once moving, i dont even bother with the cold air feed the 57i kit comes with.

BHP wise, there wasnt much difference, torque though was alot better with the 57i kit compared to stock.

This RR was done with the stock intake and brand new filter, against a 57i kit....

Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

I wents for the cone filter but in the boot with additional vent and internal box to ensure cold air without the tedious route around the boot!

See garage for pics :thumleft:
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

I went for a Ramair panel filter replacement in the boot. All the K&N's I've seen in engine bays are generally covered in crap. And it strikes me that a mucky filter is a partially blocked filter, which defeats the object. The one in the boot generally stays cleaner longer.

On our trackday car we stuck a big cone filter in the boot and stripped the boot out to bare metal. That seemed to work OK too.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I have the K&N panel filter on my mk1b and can't the difference between that and stock.
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

IanClements wrote:I have the K&N panel filter on my mk1b and can't the difference between that and stock.

Well if nothing else my Ramair one saves me about a fiver a year on buying paper ones. :lol: Paid for itself a while ago.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”