Which Toyo Proxes to go for???(Yes ANOTHER tyre thread)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Which Toyo Proxes to go for???(Yes ANOTHER tyre thread)

Post by Grendel »

OK my Mk1 is due an MOT end of the month and I think the ageing F1's have had there day on the front (rears died few years back) and will probably fail MOT due to low treds on the outer walls of the tyres. Last time I had to replace the rears I was advised to get Goodyear Excellence which to be honest are too hard and crap in the wet and totally lethal if put on the front giving NO grip in corners.

It has been suggested that since F1's are no longer made for standard 14' that the Toyo Proxes range would be a good alternative but they list 3 types?

Proxes T1-S
Proxes T1-R
Proxes R888

Otherwise any other suggestions for good grippy Front tyres?
Blue1984

Re: Which Toyo Proxes to go for???(Yes ANOTHER tyre thread)

Post by Blue1984 »

I'm not referring to the exact ones you mention, but we've got Toyo Proxes PX4's on both our MK1's, I drive in the rain a fair bit and the only time they gave me trouble was on one particular roundabout where my Yaris spins like mad (the surface is crap and greasy). They are very grippy, even on the local dual carriageway which always has a lot of surface water.

So yeah thumbs up for Proxes from me :)
My girl is a MK1(b) Sunroof Model 1.6L

I'm a female MK1 driver.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

T1-Rs are super duper hard wearing! Good in dry but poor in wet. My tyres last 20k all round!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

on the two i use T1-R, i find it very good in the wet for a fairly soft tyre.

On my Accord i use T1-S price wise it blows the rest out of water, and wears very well to.

I would advise t1-r out the 3 listed for a mr2.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I just fitted R888s and was amazed how good they were in the recent downpours!
Having said that, I don't think they'll be very good if there's more standing water and they're not cheap. Looking at the depth of tread when new I'm not expecting them to last too long either so I'd probably not recommend them if it's just for everyday use. They're brilliant tires but not really suited to road use IMO

Wingers

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”