[Mk2] [Generic] Anyone ever fitted heated seats?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [Generic] Anyone ever fitted heated seats?

Post by toxo »

As per the subject really. I've got some lovely new seats to put in my car and am thinking about fitting heater elements to them while they're out. Especially considering it's already getting cold out! I've found what looks like a good aftermarket kit, comes recommended by a friend. So has anyone beaten me to it? Heated leather seats sounds like the kind of creature comfort option that a MK2 should have come with :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
nigel_bytes

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Anyone ever fitted heated seats?

Post by nigel_bytes »

After market kit here :D
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

toxo wrote:As per the subject really. I've got some lovely new seats to put in my car and am thinking about fitting heater elements to them while they're out. Especially considering it's already getting cold out! I've found what looks like a good aftermarket kit, comes recommended by a friend. So has anyone beaten me to it? Heated leather seats sounds like the kind of creature comfort option that a MK2 should have come with :)

if its cold in your car you aint driving it hard enough :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

lol, yeah that's a good point. Will be ace for warming up on cold nights though!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
gtech

Post by gtech »

Both my wife's MR2 and my MR2 have full heated seats, this is the bum and back, dual settings and are fantastic this time of year.

We had them fitted when the seats were recovered, however, when I spoke to a local upholsterer, he quoted £25 to put all four heating elements into both seats.

Definately adds a touch of luxury :-)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

any links to the kits that are being used? also any fitted pics of the switchgear, mounting etc
gtech

Post by gtech »

I got the kits through our trade supplier (auto electrics) at work, they are manufactured by WAECO, I think we got them for around £40 each set.

Everything is supplied including relays and switches. On the wifes car the two position switch for each seat is just mounted on the side of the arm rest where its handy.

2 Heat Settings, settings 2 got me hot under the collar after about 10 mins, setting 1 is nice and comfortable for long journeys, have their own thermal cut-out, etc.......Very popular kits, hence I had to wait for a restock from Germany.
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

sound like another thing to ad to my To Do List when I get my seats redone :-)
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yep, the Waeco kit is the one I'm using. I've a friend who fitted it to his MX5 and tells me it's a decent kit. Got mine from eBay but I just had a quick look and there aren't any on there cheaper than £60 at the moment.

Waeco: http://www.waeco.com/en/4381_651.php

eBay: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=waeco+heated
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Turned up today :thumleft: I'll fit it at the weekend I think, presuming my car passes its MOT which is Friday :shock:

gtech

Post by gtech »

Really is an excellent piece of kit, especially on these cold winters morning .....BUT..................BE WARNED

The first couple of time you use them, you cannot be 100% sure that you have'nt pi$$ed yourself :-) and wait till you see the face of an unsuspecting passenger who after 5mins suddenly thinks they have lost control of their bladder and had an accident :-)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

lol, someone's played that trick on me before ;)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Well, this is how it went - this will be of limited use to others as these aren't original MR2 seats! Haven't decided where to put the switches yet, any chance of a photo of yours Graeme?

Seat plastics had to come off both sides:

Then I seperated the back from the base of the seat. Unfortunately the bolt on the other side of the seat just spun so I had to do the whole seat with it still connected on one side...

The seat covers are held on with these brass ring clips which go through a reinforced section of fabric and then round a very taught piece of wire to keep the leather nice and tight. Each one needed bending apart to get the fabric off.

Once they were all undone I lifted the seat fabric off from the base. About 1/3rd of the way down the fabric there was a seam which was attached to another wire with 2 more of these brass clips! Pain in the ****.

Once these were off the cover pulled off very easily. It was also velcroed down the middle of the underside.

Base heater pad in place - they have strong double-sided tape on them to attach to the foam.

The pad had a gap in right where the 2 brass clips in the middle of the seat base went - like they were made for it! You can see the clips better in this pic.

I reassembled the base and moved on to the back of the seat. The leather cover was again held in place with these brass clips. These ones are along the underside of the back, where it meets the base of the seat.

Once undone the padded seat centre lifted out - it's held in with more brass clips at the top but I didn't need to undo those.

Again this section had velcro down the middle of the back - with this undone the foam fell out.

I stuck the heater pad to the foam and then reassembled everything - this is where I've run the wire down from the back to the base.

This is how the wiring all meets up underneath.

This mod would not have been possible without my housemate going and getting me some coconut mushrooms from the shop, these things are like frickin heroin!
Last edited by toxo on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gtech

Post by gtech »

Excellent job their bud, nice pics. Okay switches, I have used two places.

On Gayle's MR, I have put them either side of the arm rest, if you look at the corner where the oval plastic is for the gear leaver, then come back 15mm and down 10mm I have the switches either side on hers, HOWEVER, it is really tight on the depth there.

In mine... Sit in the passenger seat, look at the glovebox, draw a line (virtual) half way down it, then follow the line to the left (towards the door), there is a thin plastic pillar at the side of the glovebox, its an ideal place as there is plenty of depth and plenty of room for the relay and fuses behind.

On the drivers side, if you look where you left knee sits, you have the air con vent (sensor) on the plastic, I have the drivers switch just below that.

I would say the latter two positions are better as there is no restriction on depth and plenty of room for getting the wires through.

HTH

Graeme
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Nice one, cheers. I'd thought about putting them into the plastic surround for the gear stick itself, but behind the stick there's not enough depth as the gear linkage cables are in the way. Maybe there's space in front of it...
gtech

Post by gtech »

To be honest I found anywhere on that centre console was really tight for space behind, I think on on of Gayle's switches I had to bend the terminals to an L shape them glue gun them in.

Where I put mine looks very oem and discreet. Get them wired up, sat in mine this afternoon with the engine running whilst I was doing another job......gives you that lovely warm glow feeling :-)
misterT

Post by misterT »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent work John.

By the way...... NICE SEATS!!! =P~ :) :D :mrgreen: :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

lol, thanks buddy. Well pleased with them :thumleft:

Unfortunately I had to strip the driver's base right down to the frame and get the bolts drilled out and retapped because they both sheared off. Glad I did though, they were pretty weak and could've given way while I was driving. :shock: Obviously there was no way you could have known that but as a result they still haven't made it into the car yet!

They are pretty nice to sit on in the front room though :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Quick update, I decided to wire in some LEDs on the switches so that it'll be obvious if they're accidentally left on. That's unlikely to happen on the driver's side but I can see myself driving around for days with the passenger side one on because the g/f switches it on then gets out. So 2 2-colour LEDs (green for setting 1, red for setting 2), LED clip mounts and 4 resistors later that's all done. Gonna get the loom into the car hopefully at lunchtime, and I'll drill the holes and get the switches mounted on Thursday. Haven't got the seats in at the moment as I'm getting some modifications done to the rails, but should hopefully have it all fitted for the weekend. About time too, it's getting seriously cold!
gtech

Post by gtech »

Excellent idea with the LED, though the manufacturers should of done that in the first place.....I just might have to play "Copy cat" ;-)

Return to “Electrical”