Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Leon.

Re: Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Post by Leon. »

Awesome car mate, makes me miss my sonic shadow! Really enjoyed reading your write up, let us know how the brake upgrade goes as the they're also the weakest link on my car :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Well this is the state of the car as I start work on it for the winter. I decided i wanted the interior to be a nicer place to be so have sent off the dash for an alcantara retrim, along with the doorcards.

Not looking forward to putting everything back in mind :eye:

Also starting to accumulate parts to sort the suspension as it's knocking like crazy.
So far got a full set of KYB ExcelG shock inserts, full set of bottom balljoints, full Prothane polybush kit, 4 droplinks and KYB front topmounts. Intention is to get everything stripped powder coated including the subframe and get everything as close to new as possible.
Got hold of a PWR alloy radiator 2nd hand which was a bit of a result to replace the one that is falling to pieces.

I'm also going to tackle the sills, they looked great when I bought the car last year but the winter really took its toll on them and there is the odd spot of rust. I suspect it's rusting from the inside out so would like to get it before it attacks the inner sills.

Plenty to keep me occupied over the winter anyway :pale:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

:shock: :thumleft: :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Looks worse than it is Jim but will be worth it in the long run.

Well I've managed to get 2 alloys cleaned up after about 10 manhours of cleaning up/filing/sanding/polishing. Need to get some nitromors as the laquer on the 2 remaining alloys has actually stuck to the alloy unlike the other 2 :rolleyes:

This is the nearside front that took a real caning on curbs etc, really pleased with how it looks.

And going to send the centres off for powder coating (properly this time) in the lightest silver I can get.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

how have you got the rims so shiny again?
my rs5's look terrible, manky and pitted after a couple of winters, want to refurb them
uglee

Post by uglee »

Just a bit of elbow grease really. I used a file to dress out the curbing on the alloy. I then went over it gain with a smooth file, then started with 400grit Wet and dry over the whole polished rim, then 600, finally to 800.

I then used an ebay polishing mop kit to shine it up, there are 3 mops and 3 different grit bars that you use to go down in stages. It's very good http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metal-Polishing-K ... 3a51e49c89

It's not really difficult work if you have a desk you can put the wheel on and the trick to it is going down in gradual stages. If you miss a stage it will take you twice as long to get to the desired finish.

I could have done them faster but the 1st wheel I went staright to 800grit as that was all I had at the time and it took me 6 hours to get decent. The last one 3-4 hours using the technique above. Next one I reckon will take 3 hours O:)

Are your polished sections laquered? I say this as mine were and it was the worst thing for them, as soon as a stone chip appears, water gets underneath and crazes the finish. I'm just going bare polished rim but use some rimwax to keep them protected a certain amount. Oh and never use them again in winter :thumleft:
Last edited by uglee on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

dont you mean the other way round with the wet n dry, 600 1st then 800 then 100
uglee

Post by uglee »

Yep I'll edit it, it's a bit early for me yet :mrgreen:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

:mrgreen:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Nice work chap. You can use bare alloy in winter, but I would recommend to keep on top of polishing them to make sure oxidation doesn't occur. You can always take them back with fine paper every spring, it's a 2 minute job and means your ride can look hot all year round :clown:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

the problem with my rs5's is they are not split rims and have a deep dish
you can only just get your fingers in there never mind a polishing tool
i'll try the wet and dry though and find something else to polish it up with
uglee

Post by uglee »

Here's what I've put loosely back in the car. To say I'm happy with it is an understatement!
Not many photo's as my DSLR is dead and the point and click camera struggles like hell with the flourescent lights. So doesn't really do the retrim justice.

Also fitted the EMS powered Oil temp/pressure gauge and the Fuel/coolant temp gauge. Once I get home from 4/5 weeks away I'll get it all wired in and running sweet

StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Dude that looks stunning!!!

I want!
uglee

Post by uglee »

Cheers Stevie! Steve@EdgeAutomotive did it for me. I cannot stress how nice it makes the interior look, also feels luuuurvley :lol:
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

There's a lad down my way that does it, I got a spare interior so I might give it a go :D
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

That dash looks ace improves the taxi spec dash ten fold :thumleft:
spikkey

Post by spikkey »

Only just seen this thread.
Well done mate,great thread,fantastic lookin motor and a credit to all your hard work.
Enjoyjavascript:emoticon(':clap:') :clap: :clap:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Wow! just seen this thread too! amazing work, love the stock look of the engine, and the interior is just amazing!

How is the alcantara with regard to windscreen glare? does it help like flocking or not make any difference? Do you mind me ask how much it cost to have the re-trim done? i was intending on having mine flocked but i have always wanted a Lamborghini diablo style trim and i think yours is about as close as its going to get!

Last edited by RyanRs on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Dude, that dash looks awesome! When I read you was having it done I admit, I had reservations, but this looks a quality job, it would've been so easy for it to look "cheap" but the quality looks factory and really nice!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
uglee

Post by uglee »

RyanRs wrote:Wow! just seen this thread too! amazing work, love the stock look of the engine, and the interior is just amazing!

How is the alcantara with regard to windscreen glare? does it help like flocking or not make any difference? Do you mind me ask how much it cost to have the re-trim done? i was intending on having mine flocked but i have always wanted a Lamborghini diablo style trim and i think yours is about as close as its going to get!

Cheers! It's the fine line I've been trying to run to have it modified but keep it a subtle as I can. Only once you look closer you see all the little differences.

I cannot really comment on glare yet as it's in my garage for the winter with half the suspension stripped off. However it's a nice matt finish so expect the glare to pretty much stop. Only a good thing as the stock dash is not good for it. Flocking is much cheaper but i'm yet to be convinced on lengevity also the feel of Alcantara is just so nice!!

Mine came to around £600 as I wanted it in dark grey instead of black, the gear gaitor and door cards covered and had some embroidery done for the airbag panel too. I think Steve (who did mine)is running a group buy on the oc.co.uk for a full black Alcantara retrim of dash, tunnel and cubby box for less than £500. Which is a great deal IMO opinion as it is a lovely job that he has done.

Steve Horrocks wrote:Dude, that dash looks awesome! When I read you was having it done I admit, I had reservations, but this looks a quality job, it would've been so easy for it to look "cheap" but the quality looks factory and really nice!

Cheers Steve, I saw the work that Edge Automotive (Steve) could do when I was at JAE when he showed me his seats. I had no doubt he could do a good job of my dash :D

Here's a few more pictures, excuse the crappy camera

Return to “Member Profiles”