Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CJ

Re: Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Post by CJ »

uglee wrote:
CJ wrote:It has now given me food for thought re the engine side of things and my possible future plans re a 3SGTE swap. :) :clap:

Thankyou :thumleft:

Is that regards to which engine or the thought of going for a turbo engine?

I had already had half an idea that I would be looking at replacing the 3SGE with a 3SGTE in the not to distant future (and this coming from the man who hasn't even picked the car up yet) as I know from past experience how quickly one can become used to "normal" power and also due to the fact that I was a serial "modder" whilst owning many MKIV Supras! :)

Even in my Supra days of high power single turbo ownership, I always hankered for the top end power combined with the immediacy of a supercharged NA. I had even looked into the possibility of developing such a thing but the costs were way too much for me.

It seems like your build has succeeded in that respect though and that is what is interesting. Now, whether I could afford such a build is another matter :(
uglee

Post by uglee »

Well nearly 14 months after the last update, this is my final update for the silver beastie (by me)

No sooner did I get the car back from the bodyshop after new sills and colour coded side strips that the car is off to its new owner. Can honestly say it was pretty horrible seeing it disappear down the road! For the 1st time in 13/14 years I don't own an MR2 :pale:

I put a lot of time, money and effort into making an MR2 that was just right for me. However a small family meant the MR2 was spending ever longer periods of time hidden away in the garage. Such a shame to see it just squaring off the tyres. So time for someone else to enjoy it and hopefully appreciate it as much as I did.

So final pictures before it left my ownership:

I've had a blast over the years and met some great people who without the MR2 I would never had met and become friends with, even though I'm an Englishman in Scotland! :eye:

I won't be leaving the scene but a small break from them may refresh my appetite in the future for another special MR2 :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's a shame to see a car like that go, however you can take comfort in knowing the reasons for having to do so.:)

Kudos for creating it in the first place, it's a lovely machine :clap:
uglee

Post by uglee »

I forgot to update this.

Erm, I own it again :eye:

Plans are to get the Brembo's finally fitted all round as a front caliper has seized again and I've just had enough of them! Also find a decent set of Greddy skirts and then respray time (bringing back the black strip) :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

uglee wrote:I forgot to update this.

Erm, I own it again :eye:

:clap: :lol:
synXero

Post by synXero »

I'll buy this off you when you sell it again Lee ;) I'm in edin and want a passenger ride!
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Pun intended -can you shed some light on how this is done please Lee

uglee

Post by uglee »

I'm not too sure how he has done it. On closer look, it looks like flexible boards with arrays of LED's in them, that fit the outline of the lights perfectly. But they aren't ebay specials or anything like that, they look like tiny surface mounted LED's. 100's of them.
The brake LED's are in a large array in the back of the housing. Not sure what LED's he used possibly standard 3mm. But they are retina burning bright. There can be no excuse for someone not seeing the brake lights.
The company that made them reckon there are around 350 LED's Per light. After I did the front arrays which still aren't perfect in my eyes they cost a small fortune DIY. So I can understand why they are so expensive to produce as it just eats into labour time doing all the soldering.

synXero wrote:I'll buy this off you when you sell it again Lee ;) I'm in edin and want a passenger ride!

More than welcome to come down and have a look matey! I'll try and make a meet sometime, but being offshore means I miss literally everything that's planned. Then I get home and sit around for 4 weeks as nothing is happening!
uglee

Post by uglee »

A long overdue update!

Well since I bought the car back the car has done precisely 220 miles. However in that time she has seen quite a bit of pampering!

Got fed up of dealing with seized calipers, either the piston seizing, the sliders seizing, pain in the ar$e they are. So a full set of refurbished calipers were fitted, I even ordered new shims and stainless clips all round.
New banjo bolts and some new handbrake parts and the brakes are as good now as they'll ever be. :thumleft:

I went for the silver zinc oxide coating and behind the wheels, they look very subtle but look ultra clean

Also had the black stripe reinstated with suitable graphics added again. Definitly think it suits the sonics IMO.
Whilst getting the black stripe done, the front and rear bumpers were resprayed along with some of the more pronounced dents been removed. She's now looking rather good!

I'd been haunted by a misfire that was a bu88er to sort but after been led on a wild goose chase trying to pin down exactly what component it was on the ignition side I had enough and replaced all the coil packs and spark plugs which was not a cheap exercise. However with fresh fuel in she runs lovely and smooth again.
I have been driving it about daily for the last week and even after owning the RS6, this is still a quick car. The way it bellows from low revs rising to proper wail as you approach the limiter is something I'll never tire of.

Needless to say the car is now in a better condition than it has ever been AAAAND I'm now selling it!!! #-o #-o

I had a call from a friend of mine who I have know for many years and has had some of the most pristine MR2's I've ever seen, asking if it's for sale as he'd like to add it to his collection. This chap is an absolute gent and I know he'll keep it and only improve on what the car is now.

I'll be sad to see it go, but the need for the barn to be converted into a proper mancave (with 2 post lift) and an RS6 with a pumped gearbox means the money will go towards a very good cause!

So the plates are back to her old ones, she has been cleaned and polished within an inch of her life. The Alcantara interior cleaned up and looking good. Molly the cat approves anyway!
The BBS alloys polished back up to their former glory, what a horrible messy job that is!

Thought I'd show this:
Looking back at my old photos I bought the car with 76K miles in Sep 2009. So in 6 years I've done just over 5K mile :roll:

So tomorrow is pickup day and after a day of proper graft it's time for a wine, and a sit and look session. God I'm going to miss this car!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

YES!!!!

:thumleft: :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Without doubt, one of the best standard looking MR2s I've ever seen. Those BBS wheels.......... =P~

Shame you're selling dude, but I guess maintaining an RS6 ain't cheap!
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Wow, this has go to be one of the best V6 builds and sonic shadow too :clap:

Hats off to you sir!

Love those BBS wheels :thumleft:
ads

Post by ads »

Beautiful machine. I've looked at this longingly for some time now. Hoping to treat myself to something similar in a few years time since I have a 'big' birthday then

Congrats to lucky new owner
uglee

Post by uglee »

It's definitely worth doing. It was a 30th birthday present to myself also a test just to see if I could do it.

I'll be doing something again in the future for sure.

Return to “Member Profiles”