Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uglee

Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Post by uglee »

Hello all. thought I would post up a bit about me and my cars and what i intend to do with the current one.

I've owned MR2's since early 2000, originally i had a Mk1,

The modding bug started when I changed the suspension for KYB struts and Fensport Springs. Made a huge difference to the handling. I also had it resprayed and generally smoothed over. However I was forever fighting the tin worm and. I was travelling a lot of miles so decided something a bit bigger and comfier was needed.

After looking for months (yes black tbar turbo's were selling well at the time) I finally found a totally original Mk2 Turbo which over 6 years I modified quite a bit until it went from this

To this:

I then had a V6 conversion from Woodsport. Loved the V6 driveability and matched my style of driving perfectly but it just slightly lacked the top end I used to have with the Turbo.

I had nearly everything required for an M90 supercharger conversion including Link ECU, Supra Injectors, Arias forged pistons.

Around that time I became interested in the 2GR-FE group buy. Good n/a power with VVTi flexibility really appealed to me. I decided to go for it and started to ready my V6 converted Turbo shell for the new engine.
The 2GR I will receive is out of a Toyota Highlander, With only 5K miles on it, it should be like new!
On removing the 3VZ-FE to sell on and looking at what was needed to get my shell upto scratch to do the new engine justice. I decided the costs were too much and broke the car up. This was what was left of it:

With the proceeds I purchased this G-limited Mk2 a short while ago for a nice price due to it been 'modified' on the cheap. It has been in a slight front ender and has been poorly repaired so needs bringing upto scratch. The bumper alignment is poor and will be sorted, also needs a few scuffs/dents removed. this will be done for the 2010 season. Mechanically it's a much better base to put my 2GR into.

I decided on a hardtop for a change due to not wanting any leak issues, also it's a bit of a weight saving which although only small combined with the low weight of the 2GR can only help. If I miss the t-bar I will swap all the good stuff to a good t-bar shell.

After 2 days of painstakingly removing the stickers and the sticky stuff left behind I fitted my goodies from the previous car. These included half leather Recaro's. 18" Staggered BBS LM's. LED rear lights and a set of LED front Sidelight indicators that I made myself.

So it currently looks like this:

I have bought all the following, they just need to be fitted/installed when needed/or when they arrive.

2GR-FE 3.5L VVTi V6
Gouky Tubular Stainless Manifolds
Mk4 Supra Throttle body
Link G4 Storm ECU
Fidanza Flywheel
ACT MaxPuck clutch (500Lbft)
E153 Turbo LSD gearbox
Walbro fuel pump
Mk4 Golf R32 Exhaust
Koni Adjustable Shocks
PI lowering springs
Greddy Gracer Sideskirts
Polybushed suspension

Should hopefully be starting the swap not long after Christmas. In the meantime I'm driving it around with the normal n/a engine which although not too bad for a 2litre it really does lack any low end go and I've never been one for revving the willies out of engines to get them to perform. That said fuel economy is pretty good :thumleft:

If everything is plain sailing next year and the V6 engine is running well I will consider supercharging the 2GR with a C38 Rotrex charger. A kit is currently been developed by Gouky in the States. All work and finances pending!

Sorry for the war and peace and cheers for looking :D
Last edited by uglee on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Re: Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Nice story mate, Your current one is looking nice. How many miles has it done ?

Mike
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
uglee

Post by uglee »

Cheers!

It has just hit 76K on the clock. It now clocks in miles but probably in KM before conversion. So could possibly be lower than that in reality?
fizz

Post by fizz »

Hows it going fella? :)

Didn't realise you started with a mk1!

Also didnt realise how much you have spent on MR2's over the years! Haha..

Good plans a foot then. You will have to give me a shout next time your back this way. :thumleft:
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Nice looking car,love the wheels you have on it.

Looking forward to a build thread :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

fizz wrote:Hows it going fella? :)

Didn't realise you started with a mk1!

Also didnt realise how much you have spent on MR2's over the years! Haha..

Good plans a foot then. You will have to give me a shout next time your back this way. :thumleft:

Hi fizz, things are good ta!

Yup, was a slow build up but this next 2 should be pretty good by the time I'm done with it!

And yes don't really fancy adding up how much I've spent in the last 10 years. Probably enough to buy something quite exotic I suspect :pale:

Shall give you a shout next time I'm down with the 2 bud!
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

I'm watching the 2GR swap thread on twobrutal with great interest!
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Should be quite a flurry of swaps taking place once the container gets here :thumleft:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

If they go well, and the results are what are promised, I'm sorely tempted to jump into the second GB.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
uglee

Post by uglee »

I think this V6 is going to be one of the last that will actually go into a MR2 without major mods in the future. Seems to propel the Evora along quite well, and the Mk2 is a good bit lighter. Also with tubular manifolds, no Cats and Link ECU it should hopefully be a good bit more powerful. When it gets to a corner though the Evora would have a 'slight' advantage :lol:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

The swap looks to be very interesting buddy. I'll also be watching with interest. not because I'm bored with turbo power but because new mods always interest me.

Best of luck and maybe with teh supercharger we'll see a non-turbo that is quicker than a turbo. :mrgreen:

Sorry!

Bobby

ps. must admit the sight of any dead '2', (your broken up balck one) is still a horrible sight. I dread the day MR2s get really rare.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Cheers matey, yeah I always like new mods, it's what keeps my interest in these cars going.

To me it makes sense`to put a big, modern, light, economical and powerful engine into a relatively light old car. You avoid the tax/emission issues and with having a light car you have all the advantages of a new engine, without the continuing trend of been strangled by huge weight.

Ooooh V6/Turbo debates :eye: It's a subjective thing so it goes around in circles as has been shown in the past. As I get older I'm finding I prefer my power delivery smooth and wafty and prefer to spend more time with my hands on the steering wheel on a twisty road, rather than chasing through the gears keeping it on the boil. Both ways are still quick ways to do it, and it's horses for courses. For myself I prefer less manic these days (need a geriatric smiley)

It's a shame that so many Mk2's are been broken, but on the plus side there is loads of cheap parts available and eventually they will become quite rare especially unmolested 8-[

Lee
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Regrarding your last comment, I just hope it doesnt go the way of the Cossies. Great classic cars which still perform by todays standard but getting parts for them now is a nightmare and a half. Then there's the fact that there's now so many thieving gypsies amongst the ownership. Parts are so hard to find that they rob off each others cars blind at all the events and shows.

B
uglee

Post by uglee »

Bit of an update:

Engine is here:

Engine is out of the n/a:

Tubular manifolds and Fidanza flywheel fitted:

Dropped the fuel tank to put in the Walbro:

Car is pretty much ready to have the engine fitted, just waiting on the wiring. Hope to have it in and running within 3 weeks :whistle:
emrrtwo

Post by emrrtwo »

very impressive, remember drooling over your wheels at the first mr2 meet I went to in Ratho not long after you had got them i think and you talking about your mk1 then. I've still got my mk1 and have a n/a sonic shadow for everyday use but won't be a patch on yours when finished. Love how your bbs wheels look on this one!

will follow this thread with interest

Cheers

Kieran
uglee

Post by uglee »

Hi Kieran

Ah yes remember your Mk1, if only mine had been as clean as yours, awesome car.

It's a photo of Bry's old car that made me think the combo of LM's and Silver Shadow 2 was perfect. Apart from a set of Greddy skirts this car will stay standard looking.

These wheels are 18" versions, Tallboy has my old 17's now. Got them off the Supra forum and looked quite sorry for themselves. Spent a fortune getting them up to scratch but the last 2 winters have really knackered them up and need a refurb. I shall be doing it this time I think.
craig

Post by craig »

Very nice looking car mate, I see you've refitted the Modified LED rear clusters from your old car 8)

Wheels suit it perfectly :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

RedMR² wrote:Very nice looking car mate, I see you've refitted the Modified LED rear clusters from your old car 8)

Wheels suit it perfectly :thumleft:

Cheers, :D

Yeah there is no way I'd ever part with the lights, still my favourite mod after 3/4 years 8)
uglee

Post by uglee »

Forgot to update this post, so this is an accumulation of stuff I have done over the last month.

Picked this up last for £40, you can still get bargains on Ebay if you look \:D/

Same as the last one I had, figure it will be just the right volume with a high flow CAT in the system too.

Decided it was time to get the engine and gearbox mated up. it meant grinding a few bits off the block to make clearance for various bits on the gearbox. The main one being the cut out for the clutch slave cylinder. Had to cut out quite a bit. All a bit tense as it's not something I like to do grinding a rather expensive block.

Can see where I had to grind the block to clear the output side of the gearbox

I helicoiled the block for putting in an additonal bolt. I managed to get the engine and gearbox together

Once that was done I fitted the supported shaft setup. It meant a bit of fettling of the driveshaft seal protection collar by moving it outwards, so the shaft sits in the gearbox a little bit more. Also moved the mounting point of the 2GR support bracket. Together it meant I managed to get the retaining C clip in......just :D

Rang around about 20 motor factors to source the serpentine belt the right length, had to go upto Glasgow for it. Fitted perfect with just the right amount of adjustment left in the idler tensioner for when it stretches a bit. With this in place I could then fit the modified mount for that side.

As you can see everything is bloody close. Hopefully shouldn't have to change the belt for a long time, especially as the mount would have to come off to get a new one on :tongue:

With that all done, it was pretty much ready to go in. I was going to start that Sunday, but had a bit of spare time so this happened:

Today I rebuilt the drivers side driveshaft CV joint, what a horrible messy fiddly job that was. Once that was done I fitted that and fitted the turbo ABS hubs too. While I was at it I thought I'd replace the old springs with the lowering springs I've had laying about for about 2 years.

Reconnected all the rear suspension back up and loosely fitted the rear subframe, I haven't got the ARB brackets yet so this will be fitted once they arrive.

Loosely fit the exhaust to measure up how much space is available for a CAT, then found the exhaust sits a bit wonky. No great issue to sort really

I fitted the wheels just to see how much lower the car sits at the rear. Ignore the direction indicator

No getting away from rolling the arches now :eye:

Seems to sit lower but there 'appears' to be still a fair bit of compliancy so maybe not too uncomfortable, time will tell :yes:

Also the back end looks a bit fatter too

A few other bits arrived including my air intake, just various bits I cobbled together from Ebay. Should do the job and sit nice in the bay.

The intake pipe will have to be modified to accept the MAF, which AdamH is doing for me right now \:D/
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

Looking really nice m8, they wheels look fekin lovely =P~ on the shadow

Return to “Member Profiles”